• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Golesh, Kelly emphasize building culture ahead of upcoming season - The Oracle

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

This isnt worth arguing about. I have not called the culture better nor have I claimed its the sole contributor to wins and losses.  

You guys, in your simplicity of things, like to mock culture.  That’s fine too.  Or just ignore it.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Some believe there is a process to that end result and just retorting with “winning” postpones any further coach comment until the results are in.

I'm guessing most coaches hate having to coach speak as much as some hate hearing it and would love to postpone talking until games are played ....

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,401
  • Days Won:  10

The "winning is everything" mindset is driving the destruction of the sport.  Yes, I want to win.  But it seems a lot of our posters are gunshy or have PTSD about the word 'culture'.  Ok, we get it.  You've been traumatized.  Cyber-hugs to you.

You can win with a bad culture.  You can lose with a good culture.  Despite having a culture of integrity, accountability, other-focused play, and hard work, you need talent, good coaching, resources, etc.  You can win and be seen as a cheating, rotten program who turns out future felons.  You can lose but still be admired as a program.  You can influence the lives of many people in a positive, long term way or teach them that there are no consequences to crossing the values of the program (or society).  It all depends what is most important to you.  I understand that to some nothing matters besides winning.  I want wins as bad as the next fan (and they are going to come), but I realize all this sport does for young college aged kids who may not have grown up in a family environment that stressed integrity and all the rest of the elements of "Culture" that help shape lives.

When we start winning, I imagine the trauma will diminish.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

Looks like culture is back on the menu, boys!

Had to give that a heart vote just for the reference ....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

The "winning is everything" mindset is driving the destruction of the sport.  Yes, I want to win.  But it seems a lot of our posters are gunshy or have PTSD about the word 'culture'.  Ok, we get it.  You've been traumatized.  Cyber-hugs to you.

Some may be really traumatized, and the "cyber-hugs" was awesome, but some just take every chance, no matter how weak it is, to come at MK .... it's melodrama on full display.

You can win with a bad culture.  You can lose with a good culture.  Despite having a culture of integrity, accountability, other-focused play, and hard work, you need talent, good coaching, resources, etc. 

Exactly. You can have a culture that kills a player, builds a statue to the one responsible and then stiffs the player's family but with the talent, coaching and resources you can go places.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

You can win with a bad culture.  You can lose with a good culture.  Despite having a culture of integrity, accountability, other-focused play, and hard work, you need talent, good coaching, resources, etc.  You can win and be seen as a cheating, rotten program who turns out future felons.  You can lose but still be admired as a program.  You can influence the lives of many people in a positive, long term way or teach them that there are no consequences to crossing the values of the program (or society).  It all depends what is most important to you.  I understand that to some nothing matters besides winning.  I want wins as bad as the next fan (and they are going to come), but I realize all this sport does for young college aged kids who may not have grown up in a family environment that stressed integrity and all the rest of the elements of "Culture" that help shape lives.

When we start winning, I imagine the trauma will diminish.

Blah blah blah, just win baby!😀

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

But it is true you can't call the culture is better if you arent improving in the win department. 

This is false

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

I think it depends on how you define 'culture'.  I'm just guessing - don't know for certain - that there are schools out there where the wins are few and far between, and when they do happen, they're not giant killahs. But what if this program has - for lack of a better term - 'outreach' to making a positive impact on the lives of the impoverished youth, molding better citizens, etc. (I know you've heard all of this before, it's for the children). In the grand philosophical sense of "culture", what if those impacts are more important than wins and losses - and the participants know this up front? There used to be a Netflix series, Last Chance U, from a few years back that focused on this. You have to differentiate between which definition of 'culture' you're applying. If you're losing on the field, week in and week out, you have to sell the better-citizen culture. When you're winning - week in and week out - you don't have to pull from the second page bullet points. How would we describe the Crimson Tide culture? Is that one of winning? How would we describe the 'culture' of USF, if we are going to 'change' it, how is it currently defined and what do we want to change it into? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,401
  • Days Won:  10

1 minute ago, WoolyBully said:

I think it depends on how you define 'culture'.  I'm just guessing - don't know for certain - that there are schools out there where the wins are few and far between, and when they do happen, they're not giant killahs. But what if this program has - for lack of a better term - 'outreach' to making a positive impact on the lives of the impoverished youth, molding better citizens, etc. (I know you've heard all of this before, it's for the children). In the grand philosophical sense of "culture", what if those impacts are more important than wins and losses - and the participants know this up front? There used to be a Netflix series, Last Chance U, from a few years back that focused on this. You have to differentiate between which definition of 'culture' you're applying. If you're losing on the field, week in and week out, you have to sell the better-citizen culture. When you're winning - week in and week out - you don't have to pull from the second page bullet points. How would we describe the Crimson Tide culture? Is that one of winning? How would we describe the 'culture' of USF, if we are going to 'change' it, how is it currently defined and what do we want to change it into? 

I don't think we have seen the culture, yet.  Basically, a bunch of players from everywhere thrown together for the first time with a staff and system that they have never seen.  It's too new and we can't look to last season, so we will see.  I think we will see when a player breaks the rules and we get to see how accountability works.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

10 hours ago, hm101 said:

I think we should ban the C word for a good 10 years

Yea, especially since EVERY sports team EVERYWHERE uses it.

• Upvote 1