• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Claw is closing permanently

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  830
  • Days Won:  1

Email went out that The Claw is closing permanently on September 5th. RIP to the course I first started golfing on. Stinks but we cannot afford the renovations required right now, as it is completely dilapidated currently. Not sure what the cost of renovating a golf course is, but imagine it can't be much less than $15-20MM, and that money is obviously being used towards other priorities. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

wonder if theres already plans for what its turning into

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,581
  • Days Won:  29

Are there limitations on what can be developed? Is it "protected" environmentally? 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,997
  • Days Won:  469

image.png

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

Where will M and W Golf play? 

This is the right decision. It's a money pit and the land is not being put to its best and highest use. With the OCS coming its about revenue going forward.

• Go Bulls! 1

44 minutes ago, E.T. said:

Are there limitations on what can be developed? Is it "protected" environmentally? 

I think the Claw was the one section of that land that could be developed: https://www.usforacle.com/2021/10/26/law-creates-advisory-committee-to-assess-development-of-usf-forest-preserve-the-claw/

listing-image.jpg

University of South Florida

When will USF decide how the golf course property will be used?

No timeline has been established.  No decisions have been made and no initial plans have been created for the future of the golf course site.  USF looks forward to determining how to repurpose the land to better serve students, faculty, staff and the surrounding area.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,095

1 hour ago, hm101 said:

Where will M and W Golf play? 

From what I've understood, the golf programs have been at a different home course for many years.  Not sure where that is.

The article I read was that the practice facility on the north side of the Claw property will remain for golf locker room and team facilities

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amaz

Most of the plans include building apartments, hotels, and restaurants, but one hopes to preserve the land entirely.

When they were looking at redeveloping the entire 770 acre area it was definitely revenue generators:

Responses from developers included multiphase plans to build housing, retail shopping, restaurants and hotels on the preserve. Some mentioned all of those things plus features like a large research facility or a 30,000-seat football stadium. Despite the plans being very preliminary, the university immediately shot down the idea of a new home for the USF Bulls.

The golf course is only around 150 acres I believe, but I'd bet on them having a similar strategy

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

3 hours ago, bulloni said:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amaz

Most of the plans include building apartments, hotels, and restaurants, but one hopes to preserve the land entirely.

When they were looking at redeveloping the entire 770 acre area it was definitely revenue generators:

The golf course is only around 150 acres I believe, but I'd bet on them having a similar strategy

How big is the golf course portion of the North Fletcher Property?

The golf course property is 120 acres, including 80 acres that is irrigated and mowed.

How will this impact the USF Forest Preserve?

Closing the golf course will not impact the Forest Preserve land.  The decision does not change the university’s commitment to maintaining the natural environment in the preserve.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  830

I cannot see further athletic development there, but more academic/housing facilities. Although, this is the chance for our golf teams to build a proper practice facility. Will be cool if they convert to like a 9-hole course with full driving range/practice area for M/W golf, then build some apartments and retail (big parking garage) plus plenty of green space for future tailgating/parking areas. 

For those who haven't seen the golf facility there for our teams - it's not bad, but let me drop a couple things below: 

site.png

. The official facility page for the Arizona State University Sun Devils
amt-255571225a531c6ef8204b17995900dff503

Golf