• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chaplin and Patrick in Portal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,033
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

We've been doing this in hoops since Stan left, although there was a little delayed reaction back then ... One of the positives with CBG/staff was his ability to build a roster back up. Here's hoping CAAR has the same knack. Don't know if he did much of that at KSU ...

Time will tell, but he had a slow start at Kennesaw State where he won one game total the first season, and five wins total his second season. Wins did increase his third season ( still under .500), and they had a magical season this year, but we cannot afford something similar to that.

Hopefully at this point he can at least hold on to Miguel, and get a few players at least on the level of what we are losing.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

19 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Time will tell, but he had a slow start at Kennesaw State where he won one game total the first season, and five wins total his second season. Wins did increase his third season ( still under .500), and they had a magical season this year, but we cannot afford something similar to that.

Hopefully at this point he can at least hold on to Miguel, and get a few players at least on the level of what we are losing.

We'll almost certainly be holding on to so players, like people who have previously transferred in and would have to sit out if they transfer again.  We've also gotten some of Kennesaw State's best players.  It's going to be a rebuild no matter what but he was the first coach there to have a winning season in over 16 years.  I'm pretty confident that this was the right hire. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

We've been doing this in hoops since Stan left, although there was a little delayed reaction back then ... One of the positives with CBG/staff was his ability to build a roster back up. Here's hoping CAAR has the same knack. Don't know if he did much of that at KSU ...

Yeah, agree. With NIL and ease of entering the portal. If you fire your coach, you can't assume any players are returning. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly, Tchewa I would like to keep, but it is what it is. In terms of a rebuild, we were never built to have anything to rebuild. This program has been broken for 10 years now, so nothing is lost with kids transferring out. I also think it’s not a bad thing for CAAR to get his kids right from the start. Won’t really delay anything and he can get everyone on the same page from day one. 

2 minutes ago, michibull said:

Honestly, Tchewa I would like to keep, but it is what it is. In terms of a rebuild, we were never built to have anything to rebuild. This program has been broken for 10 years now, so nothing is lost with kids transferring out. I also think it’s not a bad thing for CAAR to get his kids right from the start. Won’t really delay anything and he can get everyone on the same page from day one. 

It will delay us from turning the corner, and set us back some. I had expectations of us being at least .500 this upcoming season but that has taken a hit. My expectations are still at least 12 wins. Anything less and I am afraid we made the wrong hire.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  365

As long as Miguel and walker don’t transfer we should ok, Hines would be nice to keep as well. 

if they transfer the new coach will have to get some good players from the portal or we are toast. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957

36 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

It will delay us from turning the corner, and set us back some. I had expectations of us being at least .500 this upcoming season but that has taken a hit. My expectations are still at least 12 wins. Anything less and I am afraid we made the wrong hire.

I understand your point. While I believe basketball teams can do a fast turnaround, I wouldn’t jump to conclusions that he maybe a bust if we are sub .500 after year one. We could very well start out slow, but if by the second half we are rockin and rollin, it’s fine. Also, he just needs to land 2 scorers and a stretch and we can be .500; and it sounds like we have one piece already. 

4 minutes ago, michibull said:

I understand your point. While I believe basketball teams can do a fast turnaround, I wouldn’t jump to conclusions that he maybe a bust if we are sub .500 after year one. We could very well start out slow, but if by the second half we are rockin and rollin, it’s fine. Also, he just needs to land 2 scorers and a stretch and we can be .500; and it sounds like we have one piece already. 

Yes, I totally get that we may be sub .500 this year, and it would be too early to tell whether the hire is a bust or not, but coaches come in all the time in worse program and have an immediate turn around. One  example in our conference ECU won 16 games this season with their new coach. Dozens of similar examples. Dusty May did it at FAU in season 1

For me with all the losing I have come to a point where I have lost patience and I am expecting immediate results. It might be a bit unreasonable but I think it can be done, and we should expect nothing less. Probably I have a little more patience with football since Golesh  is taking over a one win team.  However, In basketball you are just one or two good players away from being competitive.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,452
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:
2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Yeah, agree. With NIL and ease of entering the portal. If you fire your coach, you can't assume any players are returning. 

Yep.  We've been playing pick-up basketball for a while and we don't usually get the first picks...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,883
  • Days Won:  67

4 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

We'll almost certainly be holding on to so players, like people who have previously transferred in and would have to sit out if they transfer again.  We've also gotten some of Kennesaw State's best players.  It's going to be a rebuild no matter what but he was the first coach there to have a winning season in over 16 years.  I'm pretty confident that this was the right hire. 

Pretty confident this guy was the right hire?? You may have blind faith and that is ok, but to be confident in this guy is outrageous and completely unjustified.  I hope you are right but I am more confident that I am done with  MBB and hanging on by a thread for FB. 

• Upvote 1