• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sources: Kennesaw State's Amir Abdur-Rahim is finalizing a deal to be the next head coach at South Florida.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, USFBULL_08 said:

I thought the idea when firing a coach is that the new hire will improve the team, but USF lives in their own world.

Hope he works out.

Of course... but not the very first season... when a coach gets fired, there is nearly always a step backward with the new coach before moving forward.  New coaches have new systems that may or may not fit the current players... new coaches need time to recruit the right players.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

Where's the white smoke gif? 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Of course... but not the very first season... when a coach gets fired, there is nearly always a step backward with the new coach before moving forward.  New coaches have new systems that may or may not fit the current players... new coaches need time to recruit the right players.

I can understand that in football, but not basketball. All you need is the portal.

2 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

All it takes with the transfer portal is to get one or two good players to come to USF and you can be competitive right away. Maybe he can bring a few of his best players to come  from Kennesaw.

We needed a home run hire ( or as close to one as you can ever get), and this is anything but that.

I take back about apathy kicking in since knowing me I will tune in when the season starts again and root for that we finally have made the right hire. Same goes for football  I will hope for the best. Very disappointed in Kelly though since the last 3 weeks have been anything but reassuring. 

This is a home run hire... and I am glad Kelly took his time.

I honestly believe Brey was the one and Brey either forgot or didn't know about his Notre Dame contract details... and while a formal offer wasn't made, that doesn't mean they weren't "this close" to making it.  After all, you don't make a formal offer until you know it will be accepted.  When Brey fell through, Kelly stepped back and re-evaluated his list.

For anyone who has hired before, when you have multiple candidates for one position you talk to all of them... it's not like you go "down a list" you interview a bunch of people, check references, confirm resumes, narrow your list, hold more conversations, etc.   People think Amir was "Plan C" when in reality, Amir, Odom, Capko, and others were all on the same list.

1 minute ago, USFBULL_08 said:

I can understand that in football, but not basketball. All you need is the portal.

Perhaps. 2023 is a whole different world.  Tyler Harris came in from the portal, and USF improved from the previous two years.

But the portal is a double edged sword... we will lose players as well.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

39 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

He is inheriting a much better situation here that what he did at Kennesaw St.

If this is finally the actual selection, what he will be inheriting is USF.  As for the past 50+ years, I will pray for the best but brace for something less.

Happy Democratic Party GIF by The Democrats

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,415
  • Days Won:  3

I'll wait for the official announcement.  Between here and tweeterverse, we've hired about 10 difference coaches now. 

Edited by Sk00b
Official*

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

5 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Perhaps. 2023 is a whole different world.  Tyler Harris came in from the portal, and USF improved from the previous two years.

But the portal is a double edged sword... we will lose players as well.

If he is a homerun hire as you say he is players will stay and great new players will come in through the transfer portal,and we will be competitive right away.

When it comes to this hire I so hope you are right and I am wrong and implore anyone to make me eat crow when we finally get back to the NCAAT. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Sure his 4th year is the only impressive year on his resume, but i don't think people understand how bad of a team he turned around. Even his 3rd year there was the highest kenpom rating in Kennessaw State history.

Taking over a team thats never had a winning record and having their 2 best seasons ever in years 3 and 4 is no fluke

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,415
  • Days Won:  3

Just now, bulloni said:

Taking over a team thats never had a winning record and having their 2 best seasons ever in years 3 and 4 is no fluke

So he sounds perfect.  I feel like we have never had a winning record at this point. 

• Upvote 1