• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Source says Mike Brey to be hired by USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  329
  • Days Won:  0

If FAU is talking trash, we really need to shut athletics down. Lol

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

4 hours ago, Bullcocky said:

That's not the way I see it. If FAU talks trash, we respond not by "shutting athletics down", but by beating them on the field next season in basketball and football. And then beat them again the season after that; followed by leaving them behind in the AAC. We respond by building a better OCS then they have. I don't see FAU  making the final four as a bad thing; it proves that in the current climate anyone who does things right can aspire to be great.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347

35 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

That's not the way I see it. If FAU talks trash, we respond not by "shutting athletics down", but by beating them on the field next season in basketball and football. And then beat them again the season after that; followed by leaving them behind in the AAC. We respond by building a better OCS then they have. I don't see FAU  making the final four as a bad thing; it proves that in the current climate anyone who does things right can aspire to be great.

Except in the real world this is how USF will respond...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

On 3/24/2023 at 2:56 PM, Mike Stuben said:

My study isn't on the Flutie effect, but something similar ....

There is an accepted theory in the study of Higher Education out there called Sense of Belonging. Terrell Strayhorn studied it, and found that students who find belonging achieve at higher rates academically. He first studied Black students at a predominately white institution, and the impact of participating in a gospel choir. 

I am asking, can students find a sense of belonging from participating in school spirit building activities like attending college football games. 

Being my study is qualitative, it won't be something that anyone uses as the proof, but more of just a discussion along the way. 

Sense of Belonging - That's one of the most basic theories in history - hell, I didn't need higher education to figure it out. When I was single, if USF football was on TV, I was in a bar with a cold one in my hand and some chickenheads on my hip. That was my sense of belonging. Anyone else had a similar "sense of belonging" story either before or after getting married? 

Edited by The Sheriff
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

30 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Sense of Belonging - That's one of the most basic theories in history - hell, I didn't need higher education to figure it out. When I was single, if USF football was on TV, I was in a bar with a cold one in my hand and some chickenheads on my hip. That was my sense of belonging. Anyone else had a similar "sense of belonging" story either before or after getting married? 

I think it would be hard to convince college kids to watch the games based on the scoreboard. When USF was at the peak the students and felt we had a punchers chance to take out anyone.  Now we are just hoping not to get blown out by ECU, Tulsa,  Temple, and who knows now with FAU, UAB,UTSA joining the AAC.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

15 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think it would be hard to convince college kids to watch the games based on the scoreboard. When USF was at the peak the students and felt we had a punchers chance to take out anyone.  Now we are just hoping not to get blown out by ECU, Tulsa,  Temple, and who knows now with FAU, UAB,UTSA joining the AAC.

And that may be part of the Leavitt curse which I hope eventually fades away soon. We had players get quoted in the paper stating that they can beat anyone even Notre Dame. And that was before we played ND lol

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

And that may be part of the Leavitt curse which I hope eventually fades away soon. We had players get quoted in the paper stating that they can beat anyone even Notre Dame. And that was before we played ND lol

Correct  as former players on this board have even said Leavitt had guys that believed in him because he would coach them up, would do anything to win under him, played their rears off with the aggressive passion for the game we have yet to see since, and hated him at the same time for being tough on them. We have had a bunch of soft coaches that are not building players up and teaching them to get nasty on the field. CSH ,  CWT, CCS, CJS were always looking ahead to their next best job because they thought they could win easily here and move up. Only one of those even went 0.500 here or won multiple bowl games.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347

41 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Correct  as former players on this board have even said Leavitt had guys that believed in him because he would coach them up, would do anything to win under him, played their rears off with the aggressive passion for the game we have yet to see since, and hated him at the same time for being tough on them. We have had a bunch of soft coaches that are not building players up and teaching them to get nasty on the field. CSH ,  CWT, CCS, CJS were always looking ahead to their next best job because they thought they could win easily here and move up. Only one of those even went 0.500 here or won multiple bowl games.

Every single coach that comes here will be looking for a better job until USF is in a top tier conference. They fired the one that would have stayed.

I wouldnt put Willie in the category of soft coaches and he would have probably stayed another year until FSU called if we were still in the big east.

At this point the odds are that if you take this job then you will be worse off.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

6 hours ago, Bullcocky said:

FAU just made Final Four. They earned that right to talk as much as they want. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Does this change anyone's opinion about the Mike Brey situation?