• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  187
  • Days Won:  1

I’m very wise man once told me if  you’re leading a team everybody agrees with you, you’re probably not a very good leader. A great leader’s job is to influence enough people to work together towards the goal of success. If you’re looking for someone who just wants to keep the status quo, not cause any waves you’re gonna end up with another Brian Gregory, or Jeff Scott. I for one would like to see a coach that is more concerned about winning than what people think. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

17 minutes ago, MaBull said:

I’m very wise man once told me if  you’re leading a team everybody agrees with you, you’re probably not a very good leader. A great leader’s job is to influence enough people to work together towards the goal of success. If you’re looking for someone who just wants to keep the status quo, not cause any waves you’re gonna end up with another Brian Gregory, or Jeff Scott. I for one would like to see a coach that is more concerned about winning than what people think. 

comparing Jeff Scott to Brian Gregory is like comparing Chilis to Krystal Burger. One is god awful and the other is slightly below mediocre.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

4 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

comparing Jeff Scott to Brian Gregory is like comparing Chilis to Krystal Burger. One is god awful and the other is slightly below mediocre.

Great take! Now I’m hungry lol. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Without getting political I think Will Weatherford was some high ranking conservative so not everyone there is what you are calling woke.

Conservative doesn't have to be a political statement. But, anymore "woke' simply means that two sides disagree.

• Downvote 1

Woke basically is political correctness on steroids. Terrible! 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Woke basically is political correctness on steroids. Terrible! 

And doesn't have to be be conservative vs liberal thing. Most liberals would agree that political correctness has gone too far

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

And doesn't have to be be conservative vs liberal thing. Most liberals would agree that political correctness has gone too far

Exactly!! Great point. Back on topic. USF may have to take a chance on a coach that may of messed up off the court of field. I believe in giving people second chances. I’m a perfectly imperfect follower of Christ and I have messed up many times so I am not going to judge others as we are only human. Hopefully USF gives candidates a second chance.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, belgianbull said:

I like that the current administration has seen the light when it comes to the OCS, and lets wait to see who the hire is in basketball, so I am not going to pass judgment until then. But I disagree on the commitment to winning when it comes to past administrations especially when it comes to coaching hires. Kelly until now ( lets wait and see though on who the basketball hire will be), has gone with the cheaper route hiring unproven assistant coaches. At the same time past administrations hired qualified people like Holtz, Taggart, and Heath. Holtz didn't work out, but you cant argue that he didn't have a great resume.

Now of course there is no reason that Golesh cant succeed, but its undeniable that we could have gone for more expensive proven coaches. In the meantime programs like FAU, Liberty, and Mc Neese State are hiring proven coaches. I hope Kelly will do the same.

Fair point. I do think the proven vet vs rising assistant is an art, not a science, there will never be a "right" nor wrong. I also believe hiring a successful coach from a successful program tends to be far more expensive than what USF has been able to pay, not that we haven't wanted to. 

Either way, hopefully we can get a couple coaches right at the same time. Then, hopefully we generate the support that allows us to keep them. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  541
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, John Lewis said:

That doesn't really answer my question. There are/were plenty of better jobs that Will Wade could have taken that would have paid him much better than McNeese State.

I certainly understand the "bottom of the barrel" comment. I'll use the example that I have used multiple times on this board. If we want to move up and move to a better place, then it all starts with more investment from those who support us. Our "friends" to the East were in a similar situation about 20 years ago and they made the investment into Athletics and their supporters got on board even when their teams were not producing the on field results that their fanbase wanted to see and I'm sure that they thought their major programs were an "embarrassment" at that time.

I'm glad to hear that you renewed your FB season tickets. I know it's been very tough the last 4 and a half seasons, but better times are ahead. Hopefully our fans see that and know that they can invest more and they can also find some friends who would be willing to do the same. 

I think it does,  From a coaching standpoint their is little question.  From a character question yes.  Well established schools don't need to take a risk USF does.  If he wins and has a character issue so be it if we win and we have no buy out  At least we start anew with a winning team

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

I think it does,  From a coaching standpoint their is little question.  From a character question yes.  Well established schools don't need to take a risk USF does.  If he wins and has a character issue so be it if we win and we have no buy out  At least we start anew with a winning team

Chance for him to rehab his reputation.  Chance for the smaller program to get a good coach for little money.  He's already landed 2 transfers while we are on our national search