• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Softball - Starts the Season Against Michigan

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/11/2023 at 8:24 AM, Dave_Glaser said:

Another standard Ken Eriksen team with no offense. He’s won A LOT of games in his career, but almost always leaning heavily on one player (pitcher). We rarely have an offense that produces much of anything. We’ll hit around .250-.260 as a team with little to no power - year-in and year-out. But he wins more than he loses, so that’s always a good thing. Kinda disappointing that his status with the national team hasn’t translated into USF becoming more of a powerhouse program. You’d think it would have some residual effect - but maybe it has in the sense that we’re annually competitive.

Telling it like it is Dave but one thing about the weekend made me feel better. Three freshman pitchers:Dixon,Martinez and Grub pitched 23 innings and gave up 1 earned run. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

the softball team seems to do well consistently

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

32 minutes ago, smazza said:

the softball team seems to do well consistently

Yep, they win enough games most years to get to a regional and win a game or maybe two. Pretty ho-hum at this point, but it definitely beats the alternative we see with many of our other teams. Baseball should be the same.

More of the same so far today. No offense. One hit through four innings and down 3-0 to Duke. Gonna be a long year for this team, too. Sounds like a broken record when we're talking USF athletics.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,855
  • Days Won:  67

I can’t imagine following all of these ancillary irrelevant sports getting steamrolled. Watching football and MBB is enough for me, you guys are saints.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

Aside from WBB our softball program has been the most consistently winning team our school.  Erickson should have a statue on campus along with Fernandez and Leavitt

• Topic Count:  1,032
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Days Won:  10

25 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Aside from WBB our softball program has been the most consistently winning team our school.  Erickson should have a statue on campus along with Fernandez and Leavitt

I agree that we have had consistently winning seasons, but nothing consistently remarkable. I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I've never understood why we've never been a softball powerhouse, given CKE's access to top talent as the WNT coach during his tenure there.  We'll talk statue when he's gotten to the CWS consistently and maybe won a few natties.

We are currently sitting at 2-4, with the only relatively notable win against a team receiving votes (Michigan) in games played entirely on our home field.

1 hour ago, Ricky the Bull said:

I agree that we have had consistently winning seasons, but nothing consistently remarkable. I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I've never understood why we've never been a softball powerhouse, given CKE's access to top talent as the WNT coach during his tenure there.  We'll talk statue when he's gotten to the CWS consistently and maybe won a few natties.

We are currently sitting at 2-4, with the only relatively notable win against a team receiving votes (Michigan) in games played entirely on our home field.

I don't know how popular the opinion is, but I know how bad.  The guy is good enough to coach the national team but not good enough for USF ...  my lord he's only the winningest coach in our school history (any sport) but never won a nattie so so we piss and moan about him.  We're a mid-major ... we're not landing the top talent, they're going to the P5 programs just like every other sport.

1,006–521–1 (.659)

On 2/13/2023 at 3:27 PM, GoBulls84 said:

I've always been curious about this as well. He's gotta be very well respected in the coaching ranks to get the nod for that, feel like at this point it should have translated to a different level of recruits and such.

Because we're a mid-major

56 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Because we're a mid-major

See basketball: Gonzaga