• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Schools that have passed USF in conference realignment

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,704
  • Days Won:  424

On 2/8/2023 at 10:43 AM, Jim Johnson said:

On your list only UCF and SDSU can be said to have come from behind USF and are now ahead of USF.  That alone should be frustrating and upsetting.

USF was not "ahead" of the others in reality.

TCU, Houston, and SMU were all members of a conference with Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Arkansas, and Texas A & M.  They got left behind and have now returned to the same level as their former peers.

WVU, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt were ahead of USF when USF joined them.

BYU is like Army - a national brand where the conference doesn't really matter.  Remember, they have won a national championship!

Finally, Lousiville and Cincinnati were peers of USF.

People seem to think that because USF was lucky to be invited to the Big East after two years in I-A that somehow USF is entitled to remain at that same level.  The reality is USF only got that invite because Tom Jurich had a decade long relationship from our days in the Metro Conference and C-USA, and the Big East wanted a team from Florida.  We received the invite before playing a single football game in C-USA, after all.

Thanks, Jim, but they don't to hear it, especially the last paragraph, evidenced by not bothering to refute anything.

There was realistically nothing we could have done to avoid being left behind when the BE broke up. One thing I think we missed out on was not being more proactive on the IPF back then but that wasn't doing anything in regards to moving up. We, administration/donor base, just weren't ready to be competitive in the P5 world, outside of the football team. Our first year in the BE our donor level was $2.68M, our last year $3.05M.

The biggest "mistake" we made following CJL was not hitting on football coaches but wasn't for a lack of trying, IMO, for the most part. Skip was a no brainer with his resume and someone with a similar one would have been near the top of our list this last time. Willie was a hit and Chuck wasn't able to build on it. CJS was a disaster and hindsight being what it is, should have gone another direction, but that hire had no bearing whatsoever on the recent conference realignment.

Bottom line is that we need to stop looking at the past, worrying about who may or may not have "passed" us by, attempting to assign blame and do all we can as fans/donors to get things properly moving going forward.

• Like 3
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  12,610
  • Days Won:  25

On 2/18/2023 at 11:28 AM, Triple B said:

Thanks, Jim, but they don't to hear it, especially the last paragraph, evidenced by not bothering to refute anything.

There was realistically nothing we could have done to avoid being left behind when the BE broke up. One thing I think we missed out on was not being more proactive on the IPF back then but that wasn't doing anything in regards to moving up. We, administration/donor base, just weren't ready to be competitive in the P5 world, outside of the football team. Our first year in the BE our donor level was $2.68M, our last year $3.05M.

The biggest "mistake" we made following CJL was not hitting on football coaches but wasn't for a lack of trying, IMO, for the most part. Skip was a no brainer with his resume and someone with a similar one would have been near the top of our list this last time. Willie was a hit and Chuck wasn't able to build on it. CJS was a disaster and hindsight being what it is, should have gone another direction, but that hire had no bearing whatsoever on the recent conference realignment.

Bottom line is that we need to stop looking at the past, worrying about who may or may not have "passed" us by, attempting to assign blame and do all we can as fans/donors to get things properly moving going forward.

All the program can do is win consistently, pull off some big upsets, and try to bring magic back the the Bulls. It would be nice to find a way to get the fans back Judy drove away. Ray Jay was rocking at one time and people came out to show their love for the Bulls when we had a coach they believed in. All we can do is hope Golesh  is that guy and hope his slogan happens "just gotta win."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

All the program can do is win

I don't really give a darn right now about the conference alignment outlook, stadium or no, CFP opportunities or any of this other heifer dust.  I am with Al on this one:

Mark Pavelich on Twitter: "My Boys Go 4-1 @RAIDERS #RaiderNation  #OaklandRaiders #Raiders @NFL🏈 https://t.co/S3W8LAAwFT" / Twitter

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  12,610
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

I don't really give a darn right now about the conference alignment outlook, stadium or no, CFP opportunities or any of this other heifer dust.  I am with Al on this one:

Mark Pavelich on Twitter: "My Boys Go 4-1 @RAIDERS #RaiderNation  #OaklandRaiders #Raiders @NFL🏈 https://t.co/S3W8LAAwFT" / Twitter

Pretty much what I said.  Winning is all that matters in sports. No one cares you are the best losing team.