• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ladies Avoid Total Meltdown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

In fairness, Houston came out playing amazingly tight & swarming defense. During the beginning of the 3rd quarter, it seemed like their defense wasn't as quick as it had been early on and we did take advantage of it and built a little lead. UH did a good job shutting down Puisis throughout the game from hitting many 3s but Dulcy was still too much of a consistent force in the paint. I'm sure their game plan was to take out Puisis and Elena and do their best against Dulcy. They were successful for the most part but in the end USF still had too many weapons. Almost blew it at the end because we began looking at the clock and trying to manage the lead but Houston got hot at the wrong time for us to play that way. We made many errors including a few 5 and 10 second calls, which I give some credit to Houston's tough D. We need to work on getting a girl open for an inbounding play during practice and not trap ourselves in corners, leading to jump balls. Turnovers and missed free throws are a recipe for losing. Overall a poor performance and isn't going to help us in getting ranked but it's still a win and keeps us undefeated in conference and undefeated against the unranked. Onto the next one!

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, DELdaBull said:

Close game vs a bad team 

Houston is not as bad as their record indicates. They are a talented squad that was picked to finish 2nd in the AAC this year. They are athletic, but not very skilled. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

The best part of watching that game was the young chickie (probably a Houston student) who was the sideline reporter. At halftime she interviews the Houston coach. He talks about the first half and what they need to do to improve in the second. She says "Awesome!" Then asks him what they need to do to improve in the second half - which he just described. Then, in the postgame with Jose, he tells her how his team completely broke down during the stretch, couldn't inbound the ball, turned it over, gave up open threes, etc. She says "Awesome!" then asks him how much confidence this win gives his team going forward . . . 

Oh, and the game announcers mispronounced Dulcy and Elena's names throughout.

Worst game I have ever seen Elena play. She looked slow, bad turnovers, dribbled into double teams, bad shots, complete brain fart that led to a tie-up and gave Houston the ball back to keep them alive. And did she really go 3-for-8 at the foul line?

In general, what we saw late was a team that was physically and mentally tired. Jose HAS to go deeper into his bench for minutes - even if costs him a game or two. When it comes to the AAC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, you're not going to be able to win on back-to-back-to-back nights with Dulcy, Sammie, Elena and Ariel playing 35-40 minutes every night.

Oh, and too many injuries for Maria Alvarez. She can't defend at all and is a non-factor on the offensive end. Time to put some of the new faces in there more and let them sink or swim.

I have been saying this about CJF for years. He has to find bench minutes from somewhere. He has to find a way to work some role players into the game. Tsineke and DFM played every single minute. Pusis was out there for 38 minutes. Brito melted down early and he abandoned her for essentially the rest of the game. Gonzalez performed admirably in her stead, but you can't have 5 players playing 92% of the minutes in a game. Coaching up the bench players seems to be CJF's weakness....well that and not knowing how to call a timeout before a 5 second call.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

The best part of watching that game was the young chickie (probably a Houston student) who was the sideline reporter. At halftime she interviews the Houston coach. He talks about the first half and what they need to do to improve in the second. She says "Awesome!" Then asks him what they need to do to improve in the second half - which he just described. Then, in the postgame with Jose, he tells her how his team completely broke down during the stretch, couldn't inbound the ball, turned it over, gave up open threes, etc. She says "Awesome!" then asks him how much confidence this win gives his team going forward . . . 

Oh, and the game announcers mispronounced Dulcy and Elena's names throughout.

Worst game I have ever seen Elena play. She looked slow, bad turnovers, dribbled into double teams, bad shots, complete brain fart that led to a tie-up and gave Houston the ball back to keep them alive. And did she really go 3-for-8 at the foul line?

In general, what we saw late was a team that was physically and mentally tired. Jose HAS to go deeper into his bench for minutes - even if costs him a game or two. When it comes to the AAC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, you're not going to be able to win on back-to-back-to-back nights with Dulcy, Sammie, Elena and Ariel playing 35-40 minutes every night.

Oh, and too many injuries for Maria Alvarez. She can't defend at all and is a non-factor on the offensive end. Time to put some of the new faces in there more and let them sink or swim.

Awesome

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

4 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I didn't watch the women. I was at the men's game, then listened to the Bulls Unlimited call of the end of the women's game. So, my observation is mostly just from the box score. 

From the box score, I was ready to call it a huge step forward for Elena, as she had 10 rebounds, which blew me away as huge. 

Not disagreeing, just wild how different me reading the box score is compared to Dave watching the game. (and I defer to Dave, as I know -  he knows basketball)

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

Almost blew it at the end because we began looking at the clock and trying to manage the lead

NEVER EVER! go to a slowdown offense or prevent defense... EVER!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

4 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

In fairness, Houston came out playing amazingly tight & swarming defense. During the beginning of the 3rd quarter, it seemed like their defense wasn't as quick as it had been early on and we did take advantage of it and built a little lead. UH did a good job shutting down Puisis throughout the game from hitting many 3s but Dulcy was still too much of a consistent force in the paint. I'm sure their game plan was to take out Puisis and Elena and do their best against Dulcy. They were successful for the most part but in the end USF still had too many weapons. Almost blew it at the end because we began looking at the clock and trying to manage the lead but Houston got hot at the wrong time for us to play that way. We made many errors including a few 5 and 10 second calls, which I give some credit to Houston's tough D. We need to work on getting a girl open for an inbounding play during practice and not trap ourselves in corners, leading to jump balls. Turnovers and missed free throws are a recipe for losing. Overall a poor performance and isn't going to help us in getting ranked but it's still a win and keeps us undefeated in conference and undefeated against the unranked. Onto the next one!

Isn't the press what Oviedo U did against us last year that gave our team such fits? I seem to remember that being an issue.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

Houston is not a bad team, they have a bad record but talent wise they are probably in top 3 in league. USF struggles vs aggressive defensive teams, that press them. Houston is one, other were the old UCF teams from the coach that just left. Is no surprise and is something I’m surprised Fernandez hasn’t been able to get them to handle.

• Upvote 1