• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball turf going in

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Normally they are not allowed on turf surfaces.  At least the ones that I have coached on.   There have been a few exceptions, but most of the time it is not an advantage really on the turf.  I will say that it can be a challenge on those mixed turf/clay fields at times.

I've never come across that as a "rule" in HS or college, but more the preference of the park. In HS it is a *****, since kids don't normally get asked to buy both. No one wants metal cleats on their turf. Just another thing... I assume this means our outfielders will have to wear rubber on the grass, which is definitely a negative. Metal cleats grab infinitely better than rubber on grass. I assume Adidas will provide our guys with both, since they'll be playing on both surfaces throughout the season. 

Still very annoyed about a turf mound. That's a cardinal sin. Guys hit on turf all the time in cages and fielding on turf isn't a real adjustment. But, I can't understand asking your pitchers to adjust to throwing on both surfaces. There is a world of difference throwing when there is a dugout hole at the rubber and landing area and then you're pitching off a turf mound with neither.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,368
  • Days Won:  5

43 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I've never come across that as a "rule" in HS or college, but more the preference of the park.

Didn't say it's a rule

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

As for the script Bulls on the field, did that happen with a donation from one of the baseball players parents?  I know there were discussions about it in the stands last season, although I think they originally mentioned the Iconic U behind the plate

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

image.png

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,169
  • Days Won:  56

How can there not be a lip where the turf at the back of the infield meets the outfield grass - different than going from dirt to grass? This is really odd. How can it not be all turf or all grass? Is there another example of this field configuration anywhere? Just seems like a really odd choice.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,711
  • Days Won:  424

42 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

How can there not be a lip where the turf at the back of the infield meets the outfield grass - different than going from dirt to grass? This is really odd. How can it not be all turf or all grass? Is there another example of this field configuration anywhere? Just seems like a really odd choice.

We're Influencers .....

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I played on the Memphis Chicks field that had this configuration. It was so their infielders could get experience for when they reached KC and Kaufman in the 1990s. Definitely a lip going from turf to grass, but not too much different than clay to grass. 

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Long term is to have turf for the entire field.

They had enough money from the gift last year to put down the infield.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

30 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I played on the Memphis Chicks field that had this configuration. It was so their infielders could get experience for when they reached KC and Kaufman in the 1990s. Definitely a lip going from turf to grass, but not too much different than clay to grass. 

Lol hell yeah. Tim McCarver stadium lol classic. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,616
  • Days Won:  25

16 hours ago, Brad said:

image.png

Looks nice!