• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF - U Stupid *****

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, NinjaPenguin777 said:

I had them in my original post then I second guessed myself thinking they were in the big 12 since we beat Kansas that same year we upset WV. Forget they pretty much ran the big East along with Louisville 

Yeah that was a great time for USF football competing in the power conferences and beating top 25 teams. Now we are the floormat of FBS football and the American athletic conference until we prove otherwise.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

9 hours ago, USFreak said:

I was cheering for my daughters team over USF the other night. 

That is disgusting. 

Did you graduate from or attend USF?

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

7 hours ago, hightechbull said:

So what you wanted was mediocrity in conference play, and when we went to a bowl game against a BCS/P5 team we got our collective a$$es handed to us.

Some of you are sipping way too much memberberry wine.

image.png.9bb85f19f3087ca6164a6694f57512e9.png

The man got us to five consecutive bowls.  Who has done that since?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

8 hours ago, USFreak said:

What you are describing is fine if we were in the NFL.  32 teams, salary caps, some parity.

USF has just made so, so, so many missteps.  I think you are conveniently ignoring that.  UCF is a shining example because for everything we did wrong they made a positive, long-lasting move (and yes I'm not ignoring their 0-12 season.  USF has just had basically three of those now and when you do something like that you have to dig out.  

USF is years away from a ficticious on-campus stadium that will take money and excitement to build.  I've seen Florida HS football games with more passion and fans.  They've lost that.  I did think this was a decision point moment where we could have shifted the tides.  Sadly, I'll be referencing this post in 3 years when this school is still playing for 3-4 wins in the AAC, recruits and fans have zero interest in this program and we're on the prowl for the next coach.

The good news Dave is there are plenty of good seats available.  When the Bucs were playing in the NFC Norris the Packers, Bears, Vikings, and Lions fans loved coming down to warm Tampa and sitting front from for $12.  30 years have passed and you can get a better ticket than that for $10 to watch the Bulls.

UCF had no better guarantee of winning when they hired Scott Frost than when we hired Charlie or Jeff. It worked out, so I guess that means they look like genius, but it just as easily could have flopped. It’s easy to Monday morning QB that. They took a risk with an unproven coordinator (and a couple really good QBs from Hawaii) and it ended up being the right fit. Since then, they’ve been consistently competitive, but nothing special. They haven’t won many games that really matter.

So now is when we say, “yeah, but look at them compared to us.” I get it. Charlie was a disaster, but who predicted that one? Not me. Anyone who says they saw that coming when we hired him is a liar. I don’t see that as a failure by the administration. That one falls square on Charlie. And Jeff? That guy had everything stacked against him from day one. He couldn’t overcome those SIGNIFICANT obstacles and is now gone. I’m not completely convinced that if we had a couple guys who made a play here and there that led to a few wins (UF, Cincy this year, Tulsa/UCF last year) that we wouldn’t be on track to turn it around right now.

The “failure” by the administration was taking for granted that big time success could be had without consistent investment in facilities, etc. But if you’re sitting in RJS on that Friday night when we stunned WVU or on the road at Auburn, are you thinking - we need to do more to keep this going. Probably not, but they should have. And ultimately, the failure that many see was the decision to fire Jim. Looking back, perhaps that’s right. Maybe he was going to take things to the next level. Or maybe he had done all he was going to be able to do. We’ll never know.

Will Alex be the guy that turns out to be our Scott Frost? We’ll find out soon enough.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

31 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

That is disgusting. 

Absolutely 100% graduated from USF.

But since "UCF is not our rival" it doesn't matter, right?

Sorry, better brand of football and experience and I have a blood relative to allow me to do it.  The matchups our over and I think USF's 1-11 season will be fine without me pulling for them to move from the cellar to the crawl space.  Get your **** together USF and I'll buy a sweatshirt or something.  ******* goons.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

UCF had no better guarantee of winning when they hired Scott Frost than when we hired Charlie or Jeff. It worked out, so I guess that means they look like genius, but it just as easily could have flopped. It’s easy to Monday morning QB that. They took a risk with an unproven coordinator (and a couple really good QBs from Hawaii) and it ended up being the right fit. Since then, they’ve been consistently competitive, but nothing special. They haven’t won many games that really matter.

So now is when we say, “yeah, but look at them compared to us.” I get it. Charlie was a disaster, but who predicted that one? Not me. Anyone who says they saw that coming when we hired him is a liar. I don’t see that as a failure by the administration. That one falls square on Charlie. And Jeff? That guy had everything stacked against him from day one. He couldn’t overcome those SIGNIFICANT obstacles and is now gone. I’m not completely convinced that if we had a couple guys who made a play here and there that led to a few wins (UF, Cincy this year, Tulsa/UCF last year) that we wouldn’t be on track to turn it around right now.

The “failure” by the administration was taking for granted that big time success could be had without consistent investment in facilities, etc. But if you’re sitting in RJS on that Friday night when we stunned WVU or on the road at Auburn, are you thinking - we need to do more to keep this going. Probably not, but they should have. And ultimately, the failure that many see was the decision to fire Jim. Looking back, perhaps that’s right. Maybe he was going to take things to the next level. Or maybe he had done all he was going to be able to do. We’ll never know.

Will Alex be the guy that turns out to be our Scott Frost? We’ll find out soon enough.

The crazy thing is I forgot about Charlie Strong. I actually had to look it up.  And yes, on paper he would have been a top choice of mine.  Man those guys really underperformed.

And yes, Frost after the 0-12...sheesh.  But as I pointed out USF is now what 3-33?  

5e6a2917-42fe-4a7e-a527-ea4cd62a445d_tex

And to say UCF hasn't won much (and yes I stole from Wikipedia):

Under George O'Leary's leadership, the Knights won four C-USA Eastern Division Championships (2005, 2007, 2010, 2012), and two Conference USA Championships (2007, 2010). O'Leary also led the Knights to The American conference championship in their first year in the league (2013), earning the conference's automatic berth to a BCS bowl game. In 2014, the Knights clinched back-to-back conference championships. The Knights won The American conference championship in 2017 under head coach Scott Frost, and again in 2018 under head coach Josh Heupel for the program's second set of back-to-back conference titles.''

In terms of Bowl games:

2013 Fiesta Bowl they BEAT No 6 Baylor

2017 Peach Bowl they BEAT No 7 Auburn

2018 Fiesta Bowl lost to No 11 LSU

Last year they beat a downtrodden UF...but still, they beat UF

Beat Tulane yesterday and they'd be playing in the Cotton Bowl vs. USC

But you know what? That's something. What's USF doing late December/early January.  Licking their wounds and trying to rally with this no-name coach over cheesecake and hot chocolate.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

27 minutes ago, USFreak said:

The crazy thing is I forgot about Charlie Strong. I actually had to look it up.  And yes, on paper he would have been a top choice of mine.  Man those guys really underperformed.

And yes, Frost after the 0-12...sheesh.  But as I pointed out USF is now what 3-33?  

5e6a2917-42fe-4a7e-a527-ea4cd62a445d_tex

And to say UCF hasn't won much (and yes I stole from Wikipedia):

Under George O'Leary's leadership, the Knights won four C-USA Eastern Division Championships (2005, 2007, 2010, 2012), and two Conference USA Championships (2007, 2010). O'Leary also led the Knights to The American conference championship in their first year in the league (2013), earning the conference's automatic berth to a BCS bowl game. In 2014, the Knights clinched back-to-back conference championships. The Knights won The American conference championship in 2017 under head coach Scott Frost, and again in 2018 under head coach Josh Heupel for the program's second set of back-to-back conference titles.''

In terms of Bowl games:

2013 Fiesta Bowl they BEAT No 6 Baylor

2017 Peach Bowl they BEAT No 7 Auburn

2018 Fiesta Bowl lost to No 11 LSU

Last year they beat a downtrodden UF...but still, they beat UF

Beat Tulane yesterday and they'd be playing in the Cotton Bowl vs. USC

But you know what? That's something. What's USF doing late December/early January.  Licking their wounds and trying to rally with this no-name coach over cheesecake and hot chocolate.

Yep, you proved my point. Since Frost left (not O’Leary), as I said in my original post (sorry about your reading comprehension)  🙂 they’ve been consistently competitive, but nothing special. They haven’t won many games that really matter. They didn’t beat Tulane yesterday, did they? And they didn’t beat UC in 2021. And they didn’t beat UC or BYU in 2020. And they didn’t beat UC or Pitt in 2019. So, right, they’ve won games but, to my original point AGAIN - “they haven’t won many games that really matter.”

And I knew that UF game would be mentioned. Seriously, they played UF’s 2nd and 3rd teamers in that game - one that was clearly more important to them than it was to UF.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Dave you seem like a great USF supporter. I just want you to know that the single biggest failure in USF history was firing Jim Leavitt the way they did. This is not even controversial. Stop telling yourself nonsense about facilities or funding. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

8 minutes ago, WhoRUSF said:

Dave you seem like a great USF supporter. I just want you to know that the single biggest failure in USF history was firing Jim Leavitt the way they did. This is not even controversial. Stop telling yourself nonsense about facilities or funding. 

the lack of investment for so many years is why we are where we are

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

That is disgusting. 

Disgusting is an understatement ...... but actually have a friend that did the same thing after CJL was fired. Shows how strangely "unique" portions of the USF fan base is.