• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

40 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Some day the truth about CJL will be revealed to you.

He is the truth and the life.  

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

9 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

My first call would be to Frank Gore, RB coach (Leavitt likely knows him from his time in San Fran). Not only is he a HoF RB, from Miami, but his kid is at Southern Miss now and one would think that Sr. had some involvement in his high school development and recruiting process, giving him some South Florida contacts. Tyrone McKenzie has been coaching in the NFL, wonder if he would make the move as a DC with Leavitt helping him there.  Larry Scott could come home as OC and HC in waiting.

So... who could Leavitt recruit at his age? A hell of a coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

Age could be a concern, not for recruiting though in my opinion. Anyone interested in USF will see what Leavitt did here and it won't be a negative thing with him being back. As I stated originally, I think it also has to have a timeline tied to it, maybe something semi-flexible, but what we COULDNT do is have to fire CJL for performance. So, it would be a 3-year deal in reality, no matter what it says on paper. If everyone is not 100% thrilled with the direction of things, CJL would agree to retire with dignity and stay on in some capacity to help the program. If in 3-years, he's winning and everyone wants him to stay, then by all means, keep it going. In my fantasy scenario, that is likely the only factor that could hold CJL back, he would have to agree to that condition which could be hard for him.

Also, if given decent resources, I think he could build a great staff at this point between former players and his other coaching stops. If anything, his coaching staffs held him back in the late 00's, specifically on the offensive side. Those offenses could have been a lot better than they were. I think it had a lot to do with $$$ as evidence by the University ponying up for Holtz's staff when he was hired. But, Leavitt also was young when he got here, probably didn't have the contacts that he has now.

My first call would be to Frank Gore, RB coach (Leavitt likely knows him from his time in San Fran). Not only is he a HoF RB, from Miami, but his kid is at Southern Miss now and one would think that Sr. had some involvement in his high school development and recruiting process, giving him some South Florida contacts. Tyrone McKenzie has been coaching in the NFL, wonder if he would make the move as a DC with Leavitt helping him there.  Larry Scott could come home as OC and HC in waiting.

So... who could Leavitt recruit at his age? A hell of a coaching staff.

I thought Frank Gore was a boxer? Where is he coaching?

McKenzie is barely established as a coach. He went from Inside Linebackers coach at Detroit under matt Patricia to Outside Linebackers coach at Miami after being fired at detroit.

Larry Scott runs the 58th ranked offense in fcs.

not sure why people think if we just get former players here as a coach then that automatically means we will be successful.

take the fact away that they played here and people would be up in arms if we hired a boxer, an outside linebackers coach at miami for dc and the HC from the 58th ranked offense in the fcs as an oc.

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

not sure why people think if we just get former players here as a coach then that automatically means we will be successful.

It is true that coaching and playing well are not necessarily hand in hand.  If hiring T-Mac meant we would have 5 T-Macs then I would say do that all day, but it doesn't.  

Edited by Rocky Style

9 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

It is true that coaching and playing well are not necessarily hand in hand.  If hiring T-Mac meant we would have 5 T-Macs then I would say do that all day, but it doesn't.  

it's like hiring a former offensive lineman that only has high school experience to be head coach of an NFL team just because he played there and then promoting the assistant to the QB coach to call plays............sounds like a recipe for success.

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Ohio coach Frank Solich is 74. Coastal Carolina's Joe Moglia is 73. We could get a few good years out of HCJL.

Coastal Carolina's coach is Jamey Chadwell and he is like in his early to mid 40s. He is one or the coaches I'd like to see here but I'm scared getting a third coach from the carolinas Holtz and Scott were total bust.

Edited by Outlaw

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Coastal Carolina's coach is Jamey Chadwell and he is like in his early to mid 40s.

and ohio's coach is tim albin and he is in his mid 50's

9 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

it's like hiring a former offensive lineman that only has high school experience to be head coach of an NFL team just because he played there and then promoting the assistant to the QB coach to call plays............sounds like a recipe for success.

Haha that is a very odd experiment.  I am pulling for him though.  He sounds like he has the right perspective.  I may be good at it this or I may be terrible and then peace out.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

16 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I thought Frank Gore was a boxer? Where is he coaching?

McKenzie is barely established as a coach. He went from Inside Linebackers coach at Detroit under matt Patricia to Outside Linebackers coach at Miami after being fired at detroit.

Larry Scott runs the 58th ranked offense in fcs.

take the fact away that they played here and people would be up in arms if we hired a boxer, an outside linebackers coach at miami for dc and the HC from the 58th ranked offense in the fcs as an oc.

Good point, but there is a USF coaching staff you could make that have people with actual experience

HC: Jim Leavitt

DC: James Rowe - played baseball at USF. But since then was DC at Valdosta State and they led D2 in interceptions, 3 year defensive assistant for the Washington Commanders, Broyles award nominated DB coach at App State, DB's coach for the Colts, and now DB's coach for the Bears

Co-OC: Larry Scott - interim HC at Miami, OC at Tennessee, HC at Howard

Co-Oc: Marquell Blackwell (Co-OC at Houston and now RB's coach at Ole Miss)

LB coach: Auggie Sanchez - cerebral player who is the HC @ Seminole in Pinellas, leading them to 8-2 currently

Then you'd have the guys like Flowers & Kayvon Webster who have mentioned they would like to get into coaching be lower level assistants.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

18 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

and ohio's coach is tim albin and he is in his mid 50's

You said the coastal coach was some other guy in his 70s. I was correcting man.  I heard of the Joe guy you referred to but no idea who he is and where he is coaching.