Jim Leavitt

Orlando Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

That's nice except for the fact that we don't know if he wants it and, not to be morbid, he isn't going to live forever. 

Ohio coach Frank Solich is 74. Coastal Carolina's Joe Moglia is 73. We could get a few good years out of HCJL.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

13 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Ohio coach Frank Solich is 74. Coastal Carolina's Joe Moglia is 73. We could get a few good years out of HCJL.

He stopped coaching in 2018 after going on medical leave for a year. Jamy Chadwell is their coach. He is 45 years old.

oh and Solich isn't coaching anymore either.

we need a young energetic coach who can get out there and sell the program to recruits. we are not an established program that just needs someone to step in and guide it.

I appreciate what Leavitt did here but he hasn't been a head coach in almost 15 years. Not sure what kind of connections he still has.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

10 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

He stopped coaching in 2018 after going on medical leave for a year. Jamy Chadwell is their coach. He is 45 years old.

oh and Solich isn't coaching anymore either.

we need a young energetic coach who can get out there and sell the program to recruits. we are not an established program that just needs someone to step in and guide it.

I appreciate what Leavitt did here but he hasn't been a head coach in almost 15 years. Not sure what kind of connections he still has.

I guess that's what a hasty search will do for you. Although I would still bet on several good years from the Jim. I mean, NO ONE is coming in here with the intent of staying.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

32 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

That's nice except for the fact that we don't know if he wants it and, not to be morbid, he isn't going to live forever. 

Some day the truth about CJL will be revealed to you.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I guess that's what a hasty search will do for you. Although I would still bet on several good years from the Jim. I mean, NO ONE is coming in here with the intent of staying.

That includes Jim. Honestly you don't want a coach who wants to stay. You want a coach who will put in the work necessary and has the kind of success you need to have in order to leave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,146
  • Days Won:  109

53 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Wasn't implying that he couldn't coach for a number of years. Was responding to the statement that our only chance at success is with CJL. If that is true, close the program now. Eventually someone would have to take over.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,146
  • Days Won:  109

30 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Some day the truth about CJL will be revealed to you.

I thought I recognized him on the cross next to Jesus.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,951
  • Days Won:  436

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

I thought I recognized him on the cross next to Jesus.  

That was Brian ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,425
  • Content Count:  98,327
  • Days Won:  490

29 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Honestly you don't want a coach who wants to stay.

Too much.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

Age could be a concern, not for recruiting though in my opinion. Anyone interested in USF will see what Leavitt did here and it won't be a negative thing with him being back. As I stated originally, I think it also has to have a timeline tied to it, maybe something semi-flexible, but what we COULDNT do is have to fire CJL for performance. So, it would be a 3-year deal in reality, no matter what it says on paper. If everyone is not 100% thrilled with the direction of things, CJL would agree to retire with dignity and stay on in some capacity to help the program. If in 3-years, he's winning and everyone wants him to stay, then by all means, keep it going. In my fantasy scenario, that is likely the only factor that could hold CJL back, he would have to agree to that condition which could be hard for him.

Also, if given decent resources, I think he could build a great staff at this point between former players and his other coaching stops. If anything, his coaching staffs held him back in the late 00's, specifically on the offensive side. Those offenses could have been a lot better than they were. I think it had a lot to do with $$$ as evidence by the University ponying up for Holtz's staff when he was hired. But, Leavitt also was young when he got here, probably didn't have the contacts that he has now.

My first call would be to Frank Gore, RB coach (Leavitt likely knows him from his time in San Fran). Not only is he a HoF RB, from Miami, but his kid is at Southern Miss now and one would think that Sr. had some involvement in his high school development and recruiting process, giving him some South Florida contacts. Tyrone McKenzie has been coaching in the NFL, wonder if he would make the move as a DC with Leavitt helping him there.  Larry Scott could come home as OC and HC in waiting.

So... who could Leavitt recruit at his age? A hell of a coaching staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1