• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Replacements for Jeff Scott

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

16 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever asked (really, honest-to-God, straight up) Leavitt if he would consider returning to coach at U of SF? Not asking your opinion if xCJL would come back, but what is HIS take on returning to USF. The reason I ask this is there is a lot of keyboarding, and shooting salt water from tear ducts, pining over the good ole days. It seems to me that if - huge, enormous if - USF were to entertain re-hiring xCJL, would there be an apology in the offing? Or is simply re-hiring him an apology enough? Is it a case of "aw shucks, how’s 'bout we just let bygones be bygones"? It could well be that xCJL has put USF in the rear-view mirror and feelings of nostalgia might not run both ways, or certainly not as deep. 

What would happen, since we're all just spitballin' here, if CJL 2.0 doesn't have the same magic / mojo / success as the original recipe? Don't say "Oh, but if we could just get three or four wins a season that would be such a phenomenal improvement, we'd be happy with that!" Un uh. Not buying it. Seems to me that the subject of ‘plateauing’ came up some years back…hmmm, trying to remember the context of that 🤔. I know, I know, some of you like to pine over romance of yesteryear, but I just don't think hitting the replay button is the way to go.  Find some guy who’s been a head coach at the sub-FBS division, a proven track record of winning and wants to coach here at USF (even though it's an audition for the bigs, we all know it). Apparently, there is a huge chasm between being assistant deputy vice undersecretary for football offensive operations (shortened to co-coordinator) and being a head coach in FBSland. Lesson learned, improve the next time around. 😎

100% agree!

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

We did the same as well

A couple of pseudo fans not willing to support the program!

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

20 hours ago, Brad said:

And my anger over the years has been about my alma mater and how they handled that "situation".  I was so ashamed, so negative and so disconnected from USF because of it.  Selfishly speaking, it's just the fact that this powerful institution could right the wrong and show some ******* decency, contrition and interest in the rest of us.  It would be spectacular.   Afterall, they try to teach us all to do the same.  They broke ethical norms.  I thought MK was not cut from the same mold.  I thought he'd at least find a way three years ago.  He didn't. CJL was hoping for it, this I know.  Final chance to fix the program, the University and the fans.  If we pass on this time, we'll NEVER do it right.  Inviting him back at your pleasure when he's 80 years old is no good.  ******* end this nightmare.  Don't continue to make it worse.

100% this. I can't tell you how many times over the year when watching us get pummeled by everyone we play that I think back to that decision and the huge implications it has had. Who know how conference realignment would have gone, but we would have been in a better spot with Leavitt. Here we are 13 years later and I still can't get over it. It has absolutely tainted my opinion of and my involvement in USF from that moment on. Of course, I have gotten married, started a family, etc, so it wouldn't be exactly the same for me, but I know I would genuinely have some pride again win or lose on the field if they bring Leavitt back. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Deion is the only candidate that would really excite me. It would be crazy getting top 15 recruiting classes. Coupled with quality coordinators, we could become the monster team that was talked about years ago. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,143
  • Days Won:  39

1 minute ago, TExpress said:

Deion is the only candidate that would really excite me. It would be crazy getting top 15 recruiting classes. Coupled with quality coordinators, we could become the monster team that was talked about years ago. 

If we can make it happen, YES!!!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

Jon Gruden? Double reclamation project 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, TExpress said:

Sounds great but I don't think we have the money to match what some SEC school will offer him.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

16 minutes ago, RandyGator said:

A couple of pseudo fans not willing to support the program!

Yeah I guess the thousands I shell out every year for club seats, roadies and IPF donations makes me a pseudo fan.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  Btw.  Now that CJS is gone, I'll be renewing.  USF could use a lot more pseudo fans like me and many others.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

9 minutes ago, TExpress said:

Just remember HIS buyout of the contract will be a hell of a lot less than USFs.  He could scoot right away.  Lessens my interest.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Just remember HIS buyout of the contract will be a hell of a lot less than USFs.  He could scoot right away.  Lessens my interest.

Solid point but that will be almost every coach we hire in G5. We need to find a guy like Freeze that has had success and needs to rebuild his imagine if we don't poach an upcoming fcs coach.