• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strength of Schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, Brad said:

I don't think anyone is sugesting that.  We clearly have an issue beating conference mates.  But playing 3-4 Top 25 teams in 7 games would clearly be a greater challenge than all Temple or FITB.

This was a stink bomb that turned into a ....show the moment Jeff Scott wad hired.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,271
  • Days Won:  255

4 hours ago, thekidnapper said:

No sarcasm but how can we acknowledge something exists and not make it feel like we are excusing/overlooking his record? That's why the question was more "Does SoS matter to recruits?" Again, SoS is subjective and might not have much value, but our rivals to the East have the 88th ranked schedule and are 5-2 and we have the, now, 27th ranked schedule and are 1-6. We have played two mutual opponents, which were losses for them and us. 

Excuses can be valid or invalid so either way it’s an excuse, the question is just does someone see it as an excused excuse. And how a fan sees it is probably heavily determined by how low our sos could go in order to have what they would think is an acceptable number of wins. So if you think 120 gets us to 2-5 probably not of consequence to you but if you thing 65 gets us to 4-3 it’s probably a pretty good and important distinction and data point.

As for recruits I can’t speak for them but I know how I see things myself and if they are like me it probably has them torn and comes down to how they see things as well. I as a general rule would rather be competing against the best whenever possible as that is more exciting and still leads to you being better than dominating the lower levels of something. Having said that I also don’t want to look embarrassed or like I can’t compete and do not belong somewhere as thinking you are competing with someone that doesn’t see you as competition isn’t exactly fun.

So if a recruit thinks that they can be competitive against better competition I think they would want to prove themselves with that opportunity but if they think they will not be competitive and they will be embarrassed and the team will not lift them up they probably won’t want to be a part of that. So yes many recruits would probably want to play against the best teams, some of which they may think snubbed them, but only if they can show them they were wrong and occasionally knock them off.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

On 10/22/2022 at 1:55 PM, thekidnapper said:

With Tulane now in the Top 25, I was curious what our current SoS is. One metric ranks us as having the 28th hardest schedule in the country (see here); I think another was at 34th. 

Does that justify our record (i.e., injuries + SoS = current record)? Does any of that matter if the perception of us is so low with recruits and fans? Sincerely do not want this to be a CJS bash thread since we've done that ad nauseam. Just some existential rumination of realistic vs. unrealistic expectations.

When you lose every week your SOS will be high. 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

higher

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we are a horrible team

sos means little in our situation

people play sports to win

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, smazza said:

we are a horrible team

sos means little in our situation

people play sports to win

Yet you say one more year for CJS?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,111
  • Days Won:  39

3 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Yet you say one more year for CJS?

The difference is merely everyone's opinion on what is the least bad option.