• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

12 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

How about freshman DE Eddie Kelly? He didn’t make any splash plays, but he was visible throughout the night. We may have a good one there!

So true.  I just mentioned that in another thread.  If continues to develop he can be a beast of a DE

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

I’ll tell you another thing that was great last nite, the kickoff team.  I don’t think there was a single kick that was returned.  Everything was deep in the end zone or through it.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,564
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

After some time to reflect...

THE GOOD

• 46 rushes for 286 yards - The OL did a great job most of the night creating holes to allow the running game to be dominant; it also led to . . .
  • 36 minutes time of possession - A few people mentioned here (and on Twitter) how slow the offense was moving. That was clearly purposeful.  Taking 30-40 seconds EVERY play to run meant the Gators didn't have the ball.
  • Gerry Bohannon 102 yards rushing - Not only did he pull the ball down and run it, Trickett had some designed QB runs that we had not seen previously.  GB had 6 total rushing attempts in the first two games.
  • Brian Battie 150 yards rushing - The injury to Mangham made Battie the primary RB for most of the night, and he took advantage.  He could hit holes and move forward.
  • The coaches - Aggressive play calling.  A team that came ready to fight.  The coaches did a great job -- something we have not seen in the CJS or CCS era.

THE BAD

• Nine penalties for 73 yards - A few of the calls were beyond questionable, but not all of them.
  • Johnson's 62-yard TD run - The Bulls defense got out of position and the Gators exploited it; that play should be a teachable moment
  • The pix six - Bohannon's gaze was fixed to the right side of the formation, with Chris Carter at TE just off the line, Omarion Dollison lined up in the slot and Holden Willis (#2 on the depth chart) lined up wide right. All three ran down and in and were well covered.  GB's throw was zipped, but Willis failed to get position on the defender who picked the pass cleanly.

THE UGLY

• The snap - Brad Cecil was clearly worried about blocking and lost focus, then as GB was about to pick up the ball Brian Battie fell on it.  GB might have been able to salvage something had he been able to pick it up - even if he only threw it away.
  • The hold - Andrew Beardall dropped a good snap from Bryce Bernard.  Spencer Shrader still kicked the heck out of it, and it was long enough and high enough - but spiraled wide right.
  • The passing game - Bohannon was 12 of 28 for 116 yards and still no passing TDs this season.  Some passes were "dropped" but those were not exactly on target either.  Bohannon also overthrew quite a few receivers.  This is the

The good

we finally used the rpo/spread option and motion behind the line  on offense . This should be our identity on offense moving forward.

CJS showed fire and intensity for the first time.

BATTIE is our number one back.

The Bad-

The passing game and receivers still look terrible at times. Do we have any guys that can catch the ball ?

If Gerry B was our most accurate passer in camp, what does that say about the other QBS or coaching staff?

Weavers fumble on the opening drive.

The REFS

The bad snap was a killer. That was our game to take to OT.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Sure, and who knows if GB could pick it up or just boot it even further back... no way to know for sure, obviously.

You mean an illegal backwards propulsion?  😬

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470

The other UGLY! My wife is sitting in seat #4

May be an image of 1 person

• Haha 2
  • Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

48 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

How about freshman DE Eddie Kelly? He didn’t make any splash plays, but he was visible throughout the night. We may have a good one there!

And he consistently held the edge like a senior, excited to watch his growth

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

15 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Brings back haunting memories of when we played Alabama in the sweltering heat of Birmingham in 2003.  I got to my seat at the crowded on-field endzone bleachers.  My seat ticket number was 42 and there were only 41 seats in the row.  I sat on the stairs and burly Alabama trooper said I had to move.  I explained my dilemma and he said he didn't care.  I either had to find a seat or leave.  I clung to the edge of the seat until people started dropping from heatstroke, so it left some more room for me.  

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,447
  • Days Won:  43

19 minutes ago, Brad said:

You mean an illegal backwards propulsion?  😬

Lol **** Rutgers game that derailed USF #2 ranking 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,447
  • Days Won:  43

20 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

May be an image of 1 person

Gainesville has an old POS OCS. Imagine how hot those seats get for noon games in early September. Been there done that lol. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470

48 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Gainesville has an old POS OCS. Imagine how hot those seats get for noon games in early September. Been there done that lol. 

I actually think the folding aluminum seats in the section next to us would be a good idea at our OCS. They're only hot for a minute. Bring, or rent a seat cushion, no problem. There would be no worries about them fading like the original seats at RayJay.

I paid $10 for one of the folding seat backs at UF but no way in hell would it, or my fat butt, fit there.