• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No Clyde Pinder this season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,530
  • Days Won:  25

So both of our power 5 DTS didn't make it to the field. This is why I don't put much in transfers until they show and do something on the field. Also why we need to use our scholarships to recruit higher as well and go after high quality transfers. WE have been giving out a few left over scholarships lately that the transfers didn't take which wont impact recruiting or transfers this season.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

So both of our power 5 DTS didn't make it to the field. This is why I don't put much in transfers until they show and do something on the field. Also why we need to use our scholarships to recruit higher as well and go after high quality transfers. WE have been giving out a few left over scholarships lately that the transfers didn't take which wont impact recruiting or transfers this season.

I was just going to say the same. Everyone gets a hard on with the portal but there is a reason why they are in the portal and it usually is not positive. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

13 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Out of a bunch of transfers brought in vast majority are going to play and contribute...unfortunately the two misses were at same position. 

The portal helps infuse talent quick....but definitely longterm the focus should be on HS recruiting. 

We got some freshmen at DT but you definitely don't want them having to play much if at all. 

2 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Out of a bunch of transfers brought in vast majority are going to play and contribute...unfortunately the two misses were at same position. 

The portal helps infuse talent quick....but definitely longterm the focus should be on HS recruiting. 

We got some freshmen at DT but you definitely don't want them having to play much if at all. 

Agreed and it was the second highest position of need besides QB. Unless several of the freshmen have a hell of a year or returning defensive line players that have not shown up drastically step up the defensive line will more than likely be a weak link again.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Outlaw said:

So because 2 out of 17 transfers don't make it b/c of grades and that means don't put much into transfers? 87% of the transfers did make it to this team. MVS, Rodney Adams and Jason Pierre Paul are some of the GREATEST players USF has ever had....those are transfers. I don't think anybody wants to take 17 transfers every year, but the team needed an overhaul bad and that's what CJS did. We may need another big transfer class in either 2024 or 2025. One of those classes have a lot of players graduating. 

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

So because 2 out of 17 transfers don't make it b/c of grades and that means don't put much into transfers? 87% of the transfers did make it to this team. MVS, Rodney Adams and Jason Pierre Paul are some of the GREATEST players USF has ever had....those are transfers. I don't think anybody wants to take 17 transfers every year, but the team needed an overhaul bad and that's what CJS did. We may need another big transfer class in either 2024 or 2025. One of those classes have a lot of players graduating. 

Yes our DT depth is terrible because we took two unknowns.  Sometimes you win in the portal but many times you are getting  someone else's  problem.  We both mentioned how we needed more dt transfers because we didn't have enough depth and they always don't work out.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  28

8 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Yes our DT depth is terrible because we took two unknowns.  Sometimes you win in the portal but many times you are getting  someone else's  problem.  We both mentioned how we needed more dt transfers because we didn't have enough depth and they always don't work out.

I think our DT issues were just kind of bad luck. I do wish they got one more DT, but at least we have a 4 man defensive line this year. Plus those 2 freshman DTs are 1 year removed from high school so they aren't that young and both are now in the 290s.  Let's just hope the DTs we do have take advantage of the playing time.