• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Throwback Thursday - Matt Grothe

Matt Grothe - Passer or Runner?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,578
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

And yet somehow he didn't beat Pat that camp which is crazy.

He looked like atleast a sophmore his freshmen year he played a good year ahead of most freshmen qb we have had.

Shame we didn't get him a full senior year I think that season could have been really magical. 

Yea, that was a bummer when he went down. Weren’t we up a fair amount in that game? I remember yelling at the t.v. “Why didn’t you put in your backup qb?!?”

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

There was incredible "competition" between Grothe and B.J. and I can remember the static between the two then and the need to get B.J. some time - but it had to come at Grothe's expense.  It wasn't easy.  B.J. may have never seen the field that season if not for the Grothe injury.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

17 hours ago, Brad said:

I don't know man, a lot of people have been clamoring for throwback helmets instead of throwback coaches (like Outlaw), and the internet rumors suggest the helmet that Pres Rhea Law held in a twitter picture was "slipped" and is the new helmet.  But I really don't care at all, so I've done no follow-up to the initial rumor and reaction.   But.....some other dude from the BoT seemed to "hold" the same helmet a day later...

1 + 1 = ??

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

There was incredible "competition" between Grothe and B.J. and I can remember the static between the two then and the need to get B.J. some time - but it had to come at Grothe's expense.  It wasn't easy.  B.J. may have never seen the field that season if not for the Grothe injury.

I think we had included some wildcat-ish plays for him hadn't we? Like I know BJ played against Western Kentucky that year, but it doesn't look like he ever actually passed. IIRC he redshirted in '08, so I think he would have still gotten some garbage time PT if nothing else. But he definitely shouldn't have seen the extended action that he did get after Grothe went down

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, Bulls On Parade said:

And yet somehow he didn't beat Pat that camp which is crazy.

Agreed, it was insane. I remember Julmiste was so terrible in ‘05 (and he seemed like a really good guy, loved the program and I respect him for all he did for us), that every game hinged on Andre Hall ballin’ out. Going into ‘06, w/o Hall, I thought we were sunk. Grothe coming in and playing like he did really ignited the team and renewed hopes of everyone I knew at the time. Grothe was on a whole other level than Julmiste and it had to be obvious to everyone before that game; not starting Grothe from day one had to be a “senior” thing, there can be no other excuse. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

10 hours ago, michibull said:

Agreed, it was insane. I remember Julmiste was so terrible in ‘05 (and he seemed like a really good guy, loved the program and I respect him for all he did for us), that every game hinged on Andre Hall ballin’ out

.... and defense. What's shocking is that year was the closest we've ever been to a NY6 bowl game and matches 2005/2017 as closest to a conf championship, if you're looking at controlling our own destiny at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Might just be me but I think he deserves a statue. What a fun guy to watch play!

• Like 2