• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NIL and questions

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

10 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Although Title IX technically doesn't apply because collectives are private businesses, I wonder how long it will be before women athletes raise the issue if entire men's teams are getting paid... some women are getting NIL deals here and there, but the SMU collective ... and now this.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig

USC athletic department leaders have opposed the creation of "Student Body Right," an NIL group created by deep-pocketed donors and diehard fans.

I agree it will happen along with sports like men's volleyball ball, rowing,  and soccer etc ... I mean  the money follows what people watch.  There are women complaining that wnba players should make the same of NBA players who are overpaid  in my opinion. It is a dollars brought it compared to a dollars paid out ratio . If your product is bringing in lots of money and support , the team and fans will support it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

10 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I agree it will happen along with sports like men's volleyball ball, rowing,  and soccer etc ... I mean  the money follows what people watch.  There are women complaining that wnba players should make the same of NBA players who are overpaid  in my opinion. It is a dollars brought it compared to a dollars paid out ratio . If your product is bringing in lots of money and support , the team and fans will support it.

At the same time, a truly athlete-focused collective would try to find opportunities for all athletes it can.  For example, the golf team would be good spokespeople for local golf courses or golf-related retail outlets.  A soccer or softball player can help market a local car dealership or restaurant.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

11 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

It can if it serves a business purpose.  It's a membership - like a membership in a country club.  It's a gray area, to be sure.

However, if a business wanted to use an athlete for promotion (which is allowed under NIL), advertising/marketing expenses are deductible.

Fowler Ave's Q&A acknowledges the membership money gray area and flat out indicates that membership is not tax deductible as Fowler Ave is not set up as a nonprofit.

3 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Fowler Ave's Q&A acknowledges the membership money gray area and flat out indicates that membership is not tax deductible as Fowler Ave is not set up as a nonprofit.

So it's not deductible as under the charitable contributions side... but as I said, businesses may be able to deduct it elsewhere on their tax return.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

They would have to pay it direct to player, though.  I have a feeling FA is "signing" players to exclusives.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

They would have to pay it direct to player, though.

Is there, can there, be some sort of non-profit clearinghouse set up to facilitate this where minimal is skimmed off the top before it gets to the athlete? I've got no problem whatsoever with these "kids" being paid more but where you've got entities set up to make money off them getting more, you've got opportunities for tomfoolery .....

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

They would have to pay it direct to player, though.  I have a feeling FA is "signing" players to exclusives.

Perhaps... again, membership in a country club can be deducted under some circumstances.  If membership in FA includes in-person networking, it's no different than playing a round of golf with a possible customer.

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Is there, can there, be some sort of non-profit clearinghouse set up to facilitate this where minimal is skimmed off the top before it gets to the athlete? I've got no problem whatsoever with these "kids" being paid more but where you've got entities set up to make money off them getting more, you've got opportunities for tomfoolery .....

That is the problem with the "wild wild west" of NIL we have now.

“It’s totally changed recruiting,” Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin says of NIL and collectives. “I joke all the time about it: Go ahead and build facilities and these great weight rooms and training rooms, but you ain’t gonna have any good players in them if you don’t have NIL money.”

https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/football/rebels-kiffin-good-players-nil-money

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

12 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

“It’s totally changed recruiting,” Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin says of NIL and collectives. “I joke all the time about it: Go ahead and build facilities and these great weight rooms and training rooms, but you ain’t gonna have any good players in them if you don’t have NIL money.”

https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/football/rebels-kiffin-good-players-nil-money

Makes sense. If I'm deciding between 2 job offers one can have the best culture, perks, and coolest office. But its not going to matter if the other job is offering 3 times the salary

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

9 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

At the same time, a truly athlete-focused collective would try to find opportunities for all athletes it can.  For example, the golf team would be good spokespeople for local golf courses or golf-related retail outlets.  A soccer or softball player can help market a local car dealership or restaurant.

Who will bring you more business  a football player or a golf player?