• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

IPF / OCS - Informational Updates

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

14 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Not "a lot" more... remember, less than 7000 students actually live on campus.... with a few thousand more in walking/stumbling distance.  The LOCATION doesn't matter when it comes to attendance.

I guess it's all in how you define walking/stumbling distance but I think that number's a little low ....... especially if you add a short Bull Runner ride away. I agree that location doesn't matter when it comes to non-student attendance but there's no way it doesn't matter to students ...

10 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Will be interesting to see if USF can capture the New Tampa/ Wesley Chapel area. That area keeps growing so I don’t think there should be any excuses of not selling out 40k  football & 10k for hoops just about every game.

7 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

If both teams WIN then I agree... but Tampa isn't really a basketball city... and people in that part of the Bay still have to get in a car and drive - so it doesn't matter if the commute is 15-20 minutes shorter on Fowler Avenue than Dale Mabry.

I'll go out on a limb and say there's no way in hell we ever sell out Amalie for just about every MBB game ........ although, we get in the ACC and have sustained success, I could be wrong. Other than that, I just don't see it happening here.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

9 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I guess it's all in how you define walking/stumbling distance but I think that number's a little low ....... especially if you add a short Bull Runner ride away. I agree that location doesn't matter when it comes to non-student attendance but there's no way it doesn't matter to students ...

Yeah, as someone who was a student in the last 5 years I can say without a doubt the # of students living off campus but less than 2 miles away greatly outnumbers the # of students living on campus. And new apartments right off campus are opening every year.

Not finding results on google but I'd have to think there are at least around 40-50 apartment complexes directly off campus (thinking from between where campus lodge used to be, down to the UMall area, then out east toward i-75)

Edited by bulloni

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  1

8 minutes ago, bulloni said:

campus lodge used to be,

Wow, been a while since I've been in that area. Campus Lodge isn't there anymore? I lived in an apartment complex off of Bruce B Downs next to Oak Ramble. I can't even remember the name of it. Time flies

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

30 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'll go out on a limb and say there's no way in hell we ever sell out Amalie for just about every MBB game ........ although, we get in the ACC and have sustained success, I could be wrong. Other than that, I just don't see it happening here.

I agree that we will probably need to be in the ACC and have Vinik work his magic again kind I’d like when he made Tampa a hockey town. It won’t be easy but we never know. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

51 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Yeah, as someone who was a student in the last 5 years I can say without a doubt the # of students living off campus but less than 2 miles away greatly outnumbers the # of students living on campus. And new apartments right off campus are opening every year.

Not finding results on google but I'd have to think there are at least around 40-50 apartment complexes directly off campus (thinking from between where campus lodge used to be, down to the UMall area, then out east toward i-75)

2 miles can be a long way to walk.

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

If they're getting on a bus, does it matter if it goes to Fowler or Dale Mabry then?  The argument that says an OCS will draw more students is predicated on the fact that students for some reason don't like to drive and don't like the shuttles.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Not "a lot" more... remember, less than 7000 students actually live on campus.... with a few thousand more in walking/stumbling distance.  The LOCATION doesn't matter when it comes to attendance.

The game day experience will be better on campus, to be sure... and that matters a little more when it comes to attendance.

WINNING matters most of all.  UCF had an on campus stadium the last season they went 0-12... and their erector set stadium was as empty as RayJay has been.

At UCF , 15% of the students live in college-owned, -operated or -affiliated housing and 85% of students live off campus. UCF has 61,500 total students at the  main campus · Academic Health Sciences Campus · UCF Downtown · Rosen College of Hospitality ...

I can't find an exact number, but I'm guessing they do not have 7000 students living "on campus"

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

If they're getting on a bus, does it matter if it goes to Fowler or Dale Mabry then?  The argument that says an OCS will draw more students is predicated on the fact that students for some reason don't like to drive and don't like the shuttles.

Absolutely. A short shuttle ride to get them within walking distance of the ocs compared to a, with traffic, probably at least half hour jaunt to RayJay ..... with the shuttles running a lot more frequently with an ocs. This is a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, Rob-Bull said:

Wow, been a while since I've been in that area. Campus Lodge isn't there anymore? I lived in an apartment complex off of Bruce B Downs next to Oak Ramble. I can't even remember the name of it. Time flies

Looks like the complex is called Forest Lake Apartments now. Not terribly surprising since I feel like most of those dorm-style apartment complexes change names every few years. Jefferson Commons is now called "The Ivy". The one directly across the street from campus (can't for the life of me remember the name) is now called The Flats at 4200. I was amazed to see Avalon Heights is still called Avalon Heights TBH

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  541
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

At UCF , 15% of the students live in college-owned, -operated or -affiliated housing and 85% of students live off campus. UCF has 61,500 total students at the  main campus · Academic Health Sciences Campus · UCF Downtown · Rosen College of Hospitality ...

I can't find an exact number, but I'm guessing they do not have 7000 students living "on campus"

I could be wrong but I think I've heard they have 10K on campus