• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Yet another polarizing discussion on the current state of USF Athletics

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,085
  • Days Won:  469

Ok, great another polarizing topic.  Can we keep our polarization on topic to USF Football?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

You can’t say capitalists?

Just don't type gay. You're still in Florida.

The actual word gay. I don't really care one way or the other if your typing style would be classified as gay.

Edited by JTrue

:flagonthepost:

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

2084472260_barneybullet.jpg.c0bbb8909e49f867cf62c678f4da967d.jpg

I got back-up, nice.  

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

Well, I guess the thread title said polarizing!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7C0D6A70-B811-4D69-B61A-D4E466E192B2.jpeg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

21 hours ago, Triple B said:

Still not buying this that much and think the opposite has more proof. If she wanted to decimate the football program, why hire Holtz? And spare me the 20/20 hindsight Skip hate. On paper, he seemed a perfect fit here based on his track record. I think JG cared plenty about Athletics, wanted to try and get it on the same path as Academics, she just didn't have a clue or was ill advised when it came to doing something about it. She should have taken an immensely more hands off approach.

CJL did miraculous things in the BE when looking at the overall brief history of the program ....... but in a vacuum, taking the history out, it was 5 years of wasted opportunities and if you're wanting to build a championship program, you can't have those. It's not hard to see that could have been the thinking, especially when you see her decision to dump Stan. Both decisions were made looking through horribly myopic lenses.

I think you are agreeing with my point. I never said she "wanted" to decimate the football program. I said she was going to decimate it. Which she did. I didn't specify motive. 

You are saying if she had been more hands off, things would have been better. I would agree. Ultimately, her vision was USF was going to be the Stanford of South but she didn't want to spend that kind of money on athletics. Skip was a squeaky clean figure. An anti-Leavitt. Taggart was a reversal of that and I believe the admins immediately regretted it. Administration has reiterated they wanted the nice, public relations friendly guy so now we have Jeff Scott. 

Genshaft improved the university from a research and academic standpoint. Maybe athletics was going to have to be neglected in order to do that. That is a different argument. Either way, Genshaft and administration seemed eager to rid themselves of CJL. Thus, my point is, in hindsight, the change was coming whether it was 2010 or 2012 or 2014....it was going to happen. CJL likely couldn't improve the product on the field without additional resources that were not coming.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

beating-a-dead-horse-funny.gif

Well the horse (and program) may be dead, but it's worth discussing.  Since the whole takedown seemed sketchy and we are where we are, a historical look back might help us learn how to avoid such failures in the future.  

USF really screwed the pooch with the program.  I think USF people know a lot has to be done to get back to 2005-09 levels, some of which means having truthful discussions on why we are where we are.  There are donors who don't give because of that fiasco and ironically many of the multiple egos in play back then thought they were more important than the program.  Let's reset and try again.  Scott offers a good first step - recognizing those that started the program and took it to unheard of success before the self-induced fall.  This program can be healed but it will take other courageous gentlemen like Coach Scott.

• Like 1