• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The TBP Official In Game Thread: Bulls vs Tulane-ESPN+

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

rotateball.gif

Game 26

South Florida Bulls (7-16, 2-9) vs Tulane Green Wave (11-11, 8-5)

USF.jpg      vs.   Tulane-Wave.png?width=80&height=80&mode=

Tuesday, February 15  7:00 PM EST

Tampa, Fla. Yuengling Center
TV: ESPN+

Radio: USF Bulls Unlimited

26th scheduled game- (1 cancelled, 2 postponed/rescheduled for COVID19)

Edited by MikeG
ready to go
  • Upvote 1

From our previous game with Tulane - recap from their website

Story (MBB)

Parker Waters

South Fla. Logo
South Fla. 5-9,0-2 AAC
Tulane Logo
Tulane 6-7,3-1 AAC
Score By Periods
Team 1 2 F
South Fla. 22 32 54
Tulane 31 37 68

Game Recap: Men's Basketball | Jan 8, 2022

Strong Defensive Effort Pushes Green Wave Past USF, 68-54

NEW ORLEANS – The Tulane University men's basketball team continued its strong play in conference action, as it picked up a 68-54 win over the University of South Florida Saturday afternoon inside the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse.

With the win, Tulane improved to 3-1 in American Athletic Conference action and 6-7 overall. The Green Wave's 3-1 mark to open league play is the team's best start since the 2014-15 campaign.
Edited by MikeG
  • Upvote 1

Bulls open homestand with Autism Awareness Game Tuesday

Bulls open homestand with Autism Awareness Game Tuesday

February 14, 2022

GAMEDAY INFORMATION

University of South Florida (7-16, 2-9 AAC) vs. Tulane (11-11, 8-5 AAC)

Tuesday, February 15 | 7 p.m.

VENUE: Yuengling Center | Tampa, Fla.

SERIES: Tulane leads, 23-17

TV: ESPN+

RADIO: iHeart Radio Bulls Unlimited

TWITTER UPDATES: @USFMBB

GAME NOTES: View (PDF)

By Joey Johnston

He's there every day, whether it's a game or a practice. He's always on time, never failing to complete a task. And he always has that unforgettable smile, guaranteed to melt your heart or maybe give you some proper perspective.

Brandon Matthews, 23, is a manager for USF's men's basketball team. He has autism, a developmental disorder that is diagnosed in more than 200,000 Americans each year. Tuesday night's American Athletic Conference contest at the Yuengling Center — Tulane at USF — is the program's annual Autism Awareness game.

For the USF players and coaches, Brandon's presence brings natural awareness every day. They wouldn't know what to do without him.

"Even in some of the darkest times, Brandon is a bright light for us,'' Bulls coach Brian Gregory said. "He never has a bad day.''

Not even at home.

Jason Matthews, Brandon's father, was having a lousy, frustrating day recently. He was feeling out of sorts. He was in the bedroom, folding clothes, when he heard his son coming down the hallway.

Brandon poked his head around the corner.bMatthews

"Dad, I love you.''

Then Brandon laughed and walked away.

Just like that, the father's difficult day became great.

"I couldn't ask for a better son,'' the father said. "I wouldn't want it any other way. I feel I was selected as a dad — not the only dad — to have a son with autism, so he could have a wonderful life and his experience would be an inspiration to others. I'm clear on that.

"I do not look back. I look ahead. And I'm excited by what I see.''

Since the family moved from Pittsburgh in the summer of 2017, Brandon has worked with USF's acclaimed Center for Autism and Related Disabilities. He's a technology whiz and is close to applying for internships, then career opportunities. If Brandon has his way, he'll be on the USF campus forever. It's the place where he thrives academically. He's active socially and has become a familiar presence among the student body.

And, of course, there's the basketball.

"For our guys and coaches, it's a daily reminder that this is the game we love and it should bring joy and happiness,'' Gregory said. "Brandon is as big a part of this program as anybody we have.''

"He always brings a dynamic vibe into the room,'' USF men's basketball senior associate athletic trainer Greg Byrd said. "I've got to get my first bump every day from Brandon. I think we all want to know our purpose. Brandon is meant to be in this program, be around the guys and help. It's super refreshing and super inspirational.''

Jason Matthews, the father, laughs about the same scene unfolding each time he drives Brandon to the Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center on USF's campus. The father can hardly stop the car before Brandon has burst out of the door, sprinting to the practice facility, always with a big smile, once again chasing down his purpose.

The father grew up in the Los Angeles area, serving as a UCLA ballboy and often rebounding the countless practice shots of Bruins All-American Reggie Miller. He grew into a big-time prep player and was part of the California exodus to the Big East Conference in the 1980s.

He was recruited to the University of Pittsburgh by a young, ambitious assistant coach named John Calipari. Matthews played on a super-charged team with Sean Miller, Demetrius Gore and Jerome Lane, who famously shattered Pitt's glass backboard with a one-handed dunk during a 1988 nationally televised game against Providence.

Jason Matthews scored 1,775 career points from 1987-91 for the Panthers, still sixth on the school's all-time list, and was a three-time All-Big East third-team selection at a time when the conference featured ridiculous competition.

"Every Big East school had like five McDonald's All-Americans,'' Matthews said. "Even today, I just shake my head that I had the good fortune to be placed in that good of a situation.''

Matthews was well into his career as a financial planner in 1998, when Brandon was born. Everything was fine. His development seemed on schedule. At 15 months, he said words like "mom'' and "dad'' and "dog,'' just like you'd expect from a toddler. But the day after Brandon received his MMR shot (measles, mumps and rubella), the father knew something was wrong. About eight months later, Brandon tested positive for autism — a mild form of PDD (pervasive development disorder).

"It's a controversial subject and I'm not anti-vaccination in any way,'' said Matthews, who is chief executive officer of his real-estate investment company. "I can only speak to what I personally witnessed with Brandon. After that shot, he was totally different. I think those three shots all at once were too much for him because the very next day we knew that something was wrong.''

At the same time, Matthews has made his peace with fate. He believes his son is on the proper life path. Once the autism diagnosis was made, Matthews swung into action, doing research, putting him in the best programs and following some solid advice.

The autism spectrum is often misunderstood. Symptoms can include communication difficulties, lack of social interaction, obsessive interests and repetitive behaviors. Matthews and wife Jules were determined to help their son, but they weren't initially sure what to think.

"We went to see one of the world's best autism doctors and within five minutes he was telling us, 'Calm down, Brandon is going to be just fine,' Matthews said. "Once he said that, I was good. He gave us a game plan, which was essentially to push Brandon out into the world, not holding him back or protecting him. He said Brandon would adjust and the other students would rally around him.''

That approached helped close the gap in Brandon's developmental delays. By going to basketball games, he became accustomed to crowds, noises, flashing lights — all the sensations that would have normally caused him lifelong difficulties.

He was enrolled in Pittsburgh public schools, first starting in the autism support program, then getting promoted to special education. At one point, five of his eight classes were with mainstream students. He quickly gravitated toward math and computers. Early on, teachers predicted that would be his career path.

At his Pittsburgh high school, the Obama Academy, Brandon played four seasons of basketball and twice competed for the city championship. As a senior, he was voted team captain. He worked tirelessly, putting up to 35,000 shots during offseason training. Senior Night was an emotional showcase for Brandon's family, the coaches and the entire student body. Everybody knew him. Everybody loved him. Saying goodbye wasn't easy.

But he was soon off to Tampa and USF. A few seasons prior to that, Matthews had been in touch with Orlando Antigua, another former Pitt player who had become head men's basketball coach at USF. Antigua said USF's autism program was top-notch. Brandon agreed once he visited USF's campus as a freshman. So, the plan was hatched. Brandon would attend USF, where the education and support services were unparalleled and where a team-manager position awaited.

When Antigua was dismissed, Gregory kept that plan in order for the 2017-18 season. It was an easy decision. Matthews' coach at Pitt — Paul Evans — was also Gregory's coach at the U.S. Naval Academy.BMatthews2

There's no time limit on Brandon's service to USF men's basketball. Managers come and managers go, but Brandon is in no hurry to depart. It's part of his life that would be irreplaceable.

Bulls players feel the same way.

"B (Brandon) is my guy!'' said Bulls center Bayron Matos, who regularly competes against Brandon in one-on-one or video games.

Autism awareness involves understanding, then acceptance. Brandon is held accountable like any other USF manager. Verbal communication might be rare — and it's limited to the people with whom he feels most comfortable — but none of that is a big deal.

"He has his jobs and his tasks, just like we all do,'' Byrd said.

"He's one of us,'' Gregory said. "We know he loves the Bulls. It's not USF basketball without Brandon.''

The smile and the energy are part of USF's basketball landscape. Every single day, Brandon is there. And in this case, every day is beautiful.

Up Next

The Bulls continue their homestand with games last this week on Thursday (ECU) and Saturday (Tulsa).

Edited by MikeG
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,663
  • Days Won:  424

Brandon was one of, if not the only, good things COA did while here .....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

46 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Brandon was one of, if not the only, good things COA did while here .....

I follow Brandon’s father on Twitter. All week they have posted interviews from the players, media, and other trainers on the impact he has had on their life. It is really a powerful message what this young man means to not only the basketball program but to the entire Athletics program. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

I met my lovely bride eight years ago today at a USF men's basketball game.  To me that is the best thing to come out of my more than 50 years of fandom.  I wish the team had just a fraction of the luck that I have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tylan Pope

Tulane Men’s Basketball Set for Matchup at USF

Feb 14, 2022

GAMENOTES
NEW ORLEANS - 
The Tulane University men's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday at 6 p.m. CT, as it faces off against USF for an American Athletic Conference matchup inside the Yuengling Center in Tampa, Florida. 

The Green Wave's matchup with USF will be aired live on ESPN+. Fans also can listen to the game live on the radio by tuning into 104.1 The Spot or by CLICKING HERE. Tulane's "Voice of the Green Wave" Corey Gloor will call the action live.

STARTING FIVE
1. The Tulane University men's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday as it heads to South Florida to take on the Bulls. The contest will mark the teams' second meeting this year. The game will tipoff at 6 p.m. CT and will be aired live on ESPN+.
2. The Green Wave heads to USF after coming off a thrilling 92-83 overtime win versus Temple. Tulane is looking for their ninth conference win of the season, their most conference wins since joining the American Athletic Conference at the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
3. Tulane last played in Tampa on Feb. 14, 2021 when they defeated the Bulls 62-59. 
4. This season, head coach Ron Hunter's staff welcomes back six letter winners, six newcomers and three starters, including preseason All-American Athletic Conference honoree Jaylen Forbes. Forbes is one of three players on the team, averaging 10-or-more points per game. Freshman Jalen Cook leads the team with 18.3 points per game - a figure that ranks second in the American Athletic Conference. As a team, Tulane is averaging 73.8 points per game and connecting at a 43.9 percent clip. 
5. The Green Wave have won the turnover battle in 19 of their 21 games this season. During the 2020-21 campaign, Tulane won the turnover battle in 19 of its 23 contests last season while also forcing opponents into at least 15 mishaps on 11 occasions. During the 2019-20 campaign, the Green Wave committed equal or fewer turnovers than its opponents in 28 of 30 contests while ranking in the top 20 nationally in turnover margin (+4.2).

THE SERIES

• Tulane's matchup with USF will mark the 41st all-time meeting between the two teams.

• The two teams met earlier in the season (Jan. 8, 2022), with Tulane taking the game 68-54.

• Green Wave head coach Ron Hunter is 2-1 all-time against USF.

TULANE BY THE NUMBERS
248 ­ - Tulane has made at least one 3-point field goal in 248 consecutive games. The last time the Green Wave failed to do so came on Jan. 16, 2014 at home against Louisiana Tech when they went 0-for-14 from outside.

51.4 - Forward Kevin Cross is first in the American Athletic Conference in field goal percentage connecting at a 51.4 percent rate from the floor.

35.6 - Jaylen Forbes' 35.6 minutes per game lead the AAC.

18.3 - Jalen Cook is averaging 18.3 points per game, a figure that ranks second in the AAC.

16 - Tulane has faced 16 opponents this season which came into their meeting with the Green Wave with a record of .500 or better.

13 – Tulane ranks 13th in the nation in the fewest turnovers.

8 - The Green Wave picked up their eighth league win of the year on Feb. 12 vs. Temple which is more than its conference wins total from a year ago.

1 - Tulane ranks first in the American in turnover margin.

WITH A WIN OVER USF…
• Tulane would have nine conference wins for the first time ever in American Athletic Conference play.
• Tulane would have 12 wins on the year, besting their total from 2020-21 campaign.
• Tulane would get their third straight win over USF.
• Head coach Ron Hunter would collect his third career win vs. USF.

THE OPPONENT - USF
• The Bulls enter their matchup with Tulane after suffering a 73-69 loss to Wichita State on Saturday.
• USF has dropped 10 of their last 12 games dating back to Dec. 25.
• Javon Greene leads the conference in total steals (43) and steals per game (1.95).
• Caleb Murphy leads the Bulls in scoring averaging 12.0 ppg.
• Head coach Brian Gregory is in his fifth year on the bench for the Bulls. He is in his 18th season overall as a head coach. 

LAST TIME OUT: TULANE TAKES TEMPLE IN OT
• Tulane shot 48 percent from the field, including an efficient 9-of-18 from behind the arc.
• Jadan Coleman and Sion James both put up career-highs with 17 and 18, respectively. Jaylen Forbes led the Wave with 25 and Kevin Cross chipped in 15.
• Tulane outrebounded Temple 43-37 and outscored the Owls in the paint 36 to 18.
• Coach Hunter thanks the fans, "For years Tulane hasn't won these types of games," head coach Ron Hunter said. "Now we are."

MILESTONE WATCH
• With a win over USF, head coach Ron Hunter would collect his 34th win at Tulane and his 479th overall win.
• Senior DeVon Baker now sits at 1,200 points in his career. 
• Sophomore Jaylen Forbes surpassed 800 (819) career points with his 25-point effort vs. Temple.
• Sophomore Kevin Cross needs 22  points to reach 700 in his career.
• Freshman Jalen Cook needs 53 points for 500 in his career.
• Freshman Sion James surpassed 300 (308) career points with his 18-point career-high vs. Temple.  

• Upvote 1

Chaplin not playing tonight. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,891
  • Days Won:  67

11 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Chaplin not playing tonight. 

Did he get hurt?  I stopped watching on Saturday night once WSU pulled away.

Saw him in civvies during warmups and then coach said tweaked his ankle.