• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

how do you rate our athletic director?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

In all honesty the only program that has turned around in his tenure is baseball but Mohl wasn’t his hire. So I honestly can’t give him anything higher than a B- 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

24 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Yikes! My bad. I’ll drink a shot for you in my sacrifice of atonement. 
But I do remember is taking a swing at Bruce Pearl…

No worries 😂😂. I remember that as well. I wish we would have went after Petrino and/or Huggins. Time to get rid of the “holy than thou” perspective when it comes to college basketball. We need to push it more and get this thing turned around. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Our consistent lack of performance in the two revenue sports is an embarrassment and the responsibility has to fall somewhere.  MK didn’t hire Gregory so he gets a pass, however the success or failure of Scott is directly tied to MK.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

A

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Days Won:  2

MK has yet to meet expectations, an OCS and a conference title in football.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  114

I’d give him an A, the best we’ve had since **** Bowers.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

C+.  The IPF and recent commitments/focus to athletics are good signs, but a single overall grade can only be based on "across-the-board" results.

Good results can be seen in the IPF, conference championships (in the non-money sports), grades/graduation rates of student athletes, etc.  But we are still producing a very bad product with both MBB and FB, and we just got passed over in a very important round of conference expansion.  Those are just hard facts.

I like the guy.  I wish him success.  I hope that the effort he is putting in will earn him an "A" grade someday. 

• Upvote 4

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

On 12/28/2021 at 7:12 AM, smazza said:

if your arent satisfied to date how much more time do you give him?

I'm fine with him up to this point. Way too many things in process to have to give him a hard grade at this point but if one's needed ....... (I)ncomplete works for me.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13

MK hasn’t had a committed President working with him yet. That’s one of the biggest things missing in all of this.

Presidents need to want to build buildings, they need to anchor the lobbying with the state, both the BoG and the Legislature. Presidents close the really big gifts that get things moving. MK can’t carry that water by himself unless he can 100% fund something (which likely means raising 125% of the cost to cover contingencies).

Get MK a President that understands that 19 VP’s on campus can’t weigh-in on Athletics operations and branding decisions. Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the stew. Let MK hire professional collegiate athletics operatives and let them do their jobs with a clear set of objectives, campus cooperation, and minimal interference and political BS.

You want a name brand coach to take you seriously? The AD can get the conversation started but the President makes the needle move. And because of where FB and MBB are facility-wise and funding-wise, no credible coach in either sport is coming without having a meaningful conversation with a committed President. And a big part of that conversation will be negotiating academic admissions standards, preferred walk-on standards, summer school, academic support from campus, etc.

And when all that is done and winning starts back up, it’s a respected President, committed to Athletics’ success long-term, that will get Conferences into having serious conversations. AD’s consult on those decisions, but Presidents make the decisions.

So judge MK when he’s not fighting the battle single-handedly (with the other hand tied behind his back) and has a President that decides that Athletics success is important to the Institution and backs it up. Until then, all MK can do is make incremental changes to improve day-by-day. He can’t even fire a revenue sport head coach without a Presidential OK.

All indications are he’s actually well-liked and respected in collegiate athletics. He’s just not a magician. No AD in America worth his salt will take this job until the President question is answered satisfactorily and if that happens, MK can become more effective much more quickly than anybody else can come in and ramp-up. Give him a year after that and then judge him, otherwise you’re just paying another guy to not work at usf.

• Upvote 2