• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The reality is, AAC should go to 16 teams... make that the benchmark... show the P5 conferences that 16 is a great number... of course, those who want to move into an expanded P5 conference will love this, AAC commish and those not on P5 radar probably don't want to push any buttons that make the P5 expand.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

12 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I disagree. Even if it means less money per school in the short term it positions the conference and schools for more money in the long term. It still may not mean less money in the short term.

Arbitrarily adding 4 teams would equate to about a 25% loss in TV revenue per team.  That's quite a gamble with no assurances of a new TV contract to make up the difference.

The P5 conferences didn't expand without consulting their TV partners because of the gamble involved.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

There are times like this, when our fans start talking about kicking teams out of the conference, that a great line from writer Dan Jenkins about the program in G'ville fights its way through the cobwebs of my mind .... "Florida has the arrogance of Notre Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest."

I had always heard that quote and never knew where it came from.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

43 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I had always heard that quote and never knew where it came from.

#thisisus

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

13 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

The boat is sinking and you want to listen to the violinist.

Aresco plays the violin, who knew?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

There are times like this, when our fans start talking about kicking teams out of the conference, that a great line from writer Dan Jenkins about the program in G'ville fights its way through the cobwebs of my mind .... "Florida has the arrogance of Notre Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest."

Living through those times, it resonated with me and never forgot it ..... Jenkins, btw, was the author of "Semi-Tough", another classic back in the olden days.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

17 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I will (arbitrarily) say that if the AAC added 4 teams the overall pie would likely increase. Would it be enough to make it revenue neutral for all schools - I don’t know but it wouldn’t be as relevant since the contract expires in 2 years. This move should be made to put us in the best position possible for (1) the next AAC TV deal and (2) when the P5 separates from the G5 in the mid 2020’s.

College football is like the Titanic and there are only so many seats in the lifeboats. The best way for USF to be included is to be in a conference that looks more like a P5 conference than a G5 conference. The boat is sinking and you want to listen to the violinist.

I understand this is what you believe would happen, and if it did, great.  I'm just not as optimistic about it working as you are.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

FYI, Syracuse is no longer an AAU member, as of May, 2011:

"The Chronicle of Higher Education reported Monday that SU pulled out of the AAU before it was kicked out. A review by an AAU committee was likely to show that Syracuse no longer met the group’s membership criteria, the Chronicle said. The publication said SU had dropped from 120th to 194th on a list of universities reporting the most federally financed research expenditures.

The AAU voted out the University of Nebraska-Lincoln earlier this month, because it did not meet the criteria."

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/syracuse_university_pulls_out.html

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The ACC has a stroooooooooong grant of rights. Anybody who leaves would basically be paying the ACC to play in another conference. The ACC schools aren't going anywhere 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45