• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  416
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, macphisto said:

The Big East did not have deals with the other major conferences.  Basically the B1G, ACC, B12, and SEC are willing to continue to acknowledge the PAC as a peer if it reforms. It's basically a gentleman's agreement, but it has been communicated to Oregon State and Washington State. There is still the court matter because not every outgoing PAC-12 member wants this to happen due to the perception they can get even more money in liquidation of assets, but I've heard it is primarily Oregon, Washington, and the Arizona schools that care about that.

As for Apple, they don't care which teams are in it as long as they are focused mostly on major metropolitan areas and give them programming from Noon to 10PM. Most other conferences are tied up in TV deals.  They want to add college football to their MLS offerings. They have deep pockets and they believe very strongly that they can increase subscriptions via their marketing ability. 

Tulane, USF, San Jose State, Georgia State (believe it or not) are all part of a list of targets. UTSA, Rice, etc are all on the list as well.  It may not happen and it certainly won't for 2024 - but they are discussing cancelling games and adjusting schedules with potential targets to give Oregon State and Washington State a full slate next year.

Fully possible it might not happen, but working with a bunch of Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and Big 12 schools directly, I hear things. And the buzz is that the intention is to reform that league. Sizing is not determined yet. Apple is involved in the discussions and willing to grease some wheels if needed because they don't have many other ways into broadcasting college sports, especially football, for a couple of years.  I can tell you the MLS clubs I deal with have also heard Apple is vert aggressively pursuing a means to get college sports soon - and the MLS teams talk to Apple's broadcast side regularly.

We'll see. I just don't buy a gentleman's agreement from the same people who just destroyed your conference and took almost all your teams. Nothing in the history of college football shows those in power willing to split the pie more ways. Greed reigns supreme. Especially with outsiders, which is who the PAC will be mostly comprised of after they backfill. 

The push for 5+7 also shows they don't intend to view the new PAC as a peer. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-cfp-leaders-moving-closer-to-adjusting-12-team-playoff-format-230208506.html

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

We'll see. I just don't buy a gentleman's agreement from the same people who just destroyed your conference and took almost all your teams. Nothing in the history of college football shows those in power willing to split the pie more ways. Greed reigns supreme. Especially with outsiders, which is who the PAC will be mostly comprised of after they backfill. 

The push for 5+7 also shows they don't intend to view the new PAC as a peer. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-cfp-leaders-moving-closer-to-adjusting-12-team-playoff-format-230208506.html

But did they do that? USC and UCLA left because of money. Then the other schools had an offer but started looking around. USC and UCLA were the ones that initiated the convo with the B1G. 

As for 5+7, that can be easily adjusted. They are not going forward with it until they know what happens and it may only be for a single year.

Apple wants football. A PAC conference can do a contract. Apple has a lot of cash on hand and can make things happen. 

Remember that Apple is also willing to put in a big bid for the CFP rights after 2025 - and they would want their favored conference with a seat.  

Apple may be willing to pay $2.5B a year for CFP rights and pay up to $500M a year for conference TV rights for all sports.  

Money talks and Apple is not just talking about CFP. They want a conference - and you can bet the B1G, SEC, etc are all listening when Apple tells them that a conference with a high seat at the table will likely increase their CFP bid.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

It would be great if the PAC2 can rebuild.  I kind of feel like its a long shot.  It sucks for the schools that were left in the dust.  I think we all know what they are feeling about now.

So where do we fit in?  I would like to be in a conference with teams that want us.  That like being in a league with us and vis versa.  I don't know if such a league exists.  It sure wasn't the Big East.  The Syracuse board sounded exactly like many on this board throughout our shared membership.  They couldn't get away from us fast enough.

I don't think the ACC wants us, the B12 should consider us but likely won't, B10 - AAU baby! but nah, SEC - ha!

Pac2 Rump?  I am game. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  416
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, macphisto said:

But did they do that? USC and UCLA left because of money. Then the other schools had an offer but started looking around. USC and UCLA were the ones that initiated the convo with the B1G. 

As for 5+7, that can be easily adjusted. They are not going forward with it until they know what happens and it may only be for a single year.

Apple wants football. A PAC conference can do a contract. Apple has a lot of cash on hand and can make things happen. 

Remember that Apple is also willing to put in a big bid for the CFP rights after 2025 - and they would want their favored conference with a seat.  

Apple may be willing to pay $2.5B a year for CFP rights and pay up to $500M a year for conference TV rights for all sports.  

Money talks and Apple is not just talking about CFP. They want a conference - and you can bet the B1G, SEC, etc are all listening when Apple tells them that a conference with a high seat at the table will likely increase their CFP bid.

Right but Apple didn't get to where it is by being reckless. The PAC leftover won't get them their money's worth. But you're right about the CFP bid. If they throw their hat in the ring for the increased CFP games, Apple will absolutely get their money's worth. 

Just released in the past hour btw:

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The alliance is built around what’s termed a “7+1” format.

To me, everything in there indicates no big money and a collision course for the PAC and MWC to merge either once the lawsuit is settled or after the 2 year grace period is done.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

4 hours ago, puc86 said:

Where would one find the weekly comprehensive list of every teams actual attendance? 

Call Joey Knight.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Wonder if there is serious talk about AAC becoming P6?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, CousinRicky said:

Call Joey Knight.

He only seemed capable of finding a list of one, when USA Today did a deeper dive they seemed be able to get FSU's numbers and found the difference rather similar. Apparently if TSA releases information that makes it newsworthy but if no one releases it then it does not matter because that takes effort.

Just now, E.T. said:

Wonder if there is serious talk about AAC becoming P6?

no

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

no

Seems to be serious talk about MWC becoming P5?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, E.T. said:

Seems to be serious talk about MWC becoming P5?

No, you do not go around killing off other power conferences just to undo that effort and bring in new power conferences. The best shot at anyone having any power is to rebuild the PAC as that requires effort to make not happen where as any other idea takes proactive, counter self interest effort and that is never happening. If everyone has power than no one has power.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

29 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Right but Apple didn't get to where it is by being reckless. The PAC leftover won't get them their money's worth. But you're right about the CFP bid. If they throw their hat in the ring for the increased CFP games, Apple will absolutely get their money's worth. 

Just released in the past hour btw:

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The alliance is built around what’s termed a “7+1” format.

To me, everything in there indicates no big money and a collision course for the PAC and MWC to merge either once the lawsuit is settled or after the 2 year grace period is done.

Bad news for the AAC. Ultimately WSU and OSU will become part of the Mountain West. Look at the Mountain West trying to poach UTSA, and perhaps even Memphis next.

AAC Ad's should be moving to fire Aresco.

Edited by belgianbull