• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

3 hours ago, Gismo said:

Confused what is being proposed exactly.

1) is this a proposal for the PAC teams to join the American? What happens to PAC brand?

2). Is this just a proposal for a scheduling arrangement between PAC and AAC with no teams changing conferences?

3). Is it a proposal for teams to leave the American to join the PAC? 

Well, the PAC needs teams... so there are two options being rumored:

1- The PAC and AAC OR the PAC and MWC merge under the PAC legal entity.

2 - PAC invites teams to leave the AAC for 2024 and MWC for 2025.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

They are quick listens. Some of the sports podcasts get off topic and go for an hour to hour and a half. All of these have been around the 30 minute mark, and I appreciate that.

Was easy to run through for that reason and honestly, it's not bad. Nothing earth shattering but kind of like the audio version of this thread, without some of the much loved wacko stuff ..... and without looking at things through a green and gold lens, which there's nothing wrong with and should be on our thread. Appreciated the quick run down of the teams being added ..... it was kind of the Bizarro version of what we hear in here at times, except for poor Rice. He is an AAC guy so it's going to have that positive spin on things but it was still kind of nice to hear a different perspective.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Was easy to run through for that reason and honestly, it's not bad. Nothing earth shattering but kind of like the audio version of this thread, without some of the much loved wacko stuff ..... and without looking at things through a green and gold lens, which there's nothing wrong with and should be on our thread. Appreciated the quick run down of the teams being added ..... it was kind of the Bizarro version of what we hear in here at times, except for poor Rice. He is an AAC guy so it's going to have that positive spin on things but it was still kind of nice to hear a different perspective.

He also states when he is staying something that is completely unsubstantiated. I can get through a whole episode on my drive to work.

The Bulluminati guys (The Bay Area Examiner) are trying to shorten their episodes to around 30 mins as well as releasing more episodes a week.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

I know this podcast has been mentioned before but did just d/l the 5 podcasts and interested to check them out ...

What I like about Trey is:

• AAC focus (hard to find nowadays)
  • 30 minutes or less and he stays on topic
  • Seems pretty professional (not trying to be fratty)
  • Thoughtful but doesn't pretend to be an "insider" who knows more than he actually knows

Anyways, never hurts to try something new. 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, Gismo said:

Confused what is being proposed exactly.

1) is this a proposal for the PAC teams to join the American? What happens to PAC brand?

2). Is this just a proposal for a scheduling arrangement between PAC and AAC with no teams changing conferences?

3). Is it a proposal for teams to leave the American to join the PAC? 

That's the beauty of wild rampant speculation, it's all of the above.  You can find anyone online saying any of those.

For the record I hope option 1 pans out and they join us and we just swap to the PAC name.  No exit fee shenanigans and our existing media deal just gets bumped.

Option 2 gives us 0 value and *clearly* failed the last time conferences made an alliance for scheduling.

And as for option 3, leaving a terrible conference to join a dead conference...that leaves a lot to chance.  USF would  

-Spend millions on exit fees

-Spend more money per year to travel farther

-*Hope* a non-existent PAC media deal gets signed

-*Hope* that (again non-existent) media deal pays out more per year than the AAC

-*Hope* the core members (who are actively trying to leave the PAC and came up only a few votes short of joining the ACC), stay long enough in the conference for you to make a return on your investment 

Idunno the more I think about it the more I hope nobody gets swindled into joining the PAC.  The no votes (for them joining the ACC) were by disgruntled teams trying to leave the ACC themselves....so once FSU/Clemson/etc jump ship the PAC-4 will have a clear path to replace them.  That's why anything conference-wise with the PAC-4 should be considered a short term marriage of convenience.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

The Bulluminati guys (The Bay Area Examiner) are trying to shorten their episodes to around 30 mins as well as releasing more episodes a week.

Yeah, I think I'm going to confine my USF related podcasts to GameTime, CC and Darek's ...

15 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

What I like about Trey is:

• AAC focus (hard to find nowadays)
  • 30 minutes or less and he stays on topic
  • Seems pretty professional (not trying to be fratty)
  • Thoughtful but doesn't pretend to be an "insider" who knows more than he actually knows

Anyways, never hurts to try something new. 

What it did for me was paint the simple picture of how the media is driving all this ...... and yeah, I know it's been gone over in here but there's so much **** to read at times on the board, some things don't sink in.

And from the media perspective, what should happen is the PAC 4 join the AAC, hopefully bringing the A5 with them but would be a last resort for them if can't get into B1G or possibly ACC. Stanford appears to be the wild card in all this.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  39

10 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

That's why anything conference-wise with the PAC-4 should be considered a short term marriage of convenience.

We would need a way to bail when the B1G southern sweep comes.

• Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

What it did for me was paint the simple picture of how the media is driving all this ...... and yeah, I know it's been gone over in here but there's so much **** to read at times on the board, some things don't sink in.

And from the media perspective, what should happen is the PAC 4 join the AAC, hopefully bringing the A5 with them but would be a last resort for them if can't get into B1G or possibly ACC. Stanford appears to be the wild card in all this.

I agree this would be the best option. I understand why many would prefer to leave the AAC's newer additions behind, but the PAC doesn't have a media deal (couldn't get one even when the PAC was still relatively intact) and it would be pricey for those who exit like USF - a much riskier and expensive proposition.

On the other hand, if the PAC just joins the AAC, we keep and probably improve the media deal, pay no exit fee, and keep open the prospect of joining the ACC one day if it still makes sense to do so. And if the B1G or ACC change their minds in the next year or two, and Stanford and Cal split from the AAC, we're really in no worse position than we started.

Worst possible outcome in all this would be for the ACC or B1G to change their minds in the next week or two and end up taking Stanford and Cal. If that happens, USF will need to really focus on improving its athletic programs (especially FB and BB), in the hope that FSU and others eventually split from the ACC, and we're an attractive candidate at that point to join the ACC.

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Well, the PAC needs teams... so there are two options being rumored:

1- The PAC and AAC OR the PAC and MWC merge under the PAC legal entity.

2 - PAC invites teams to leave the AAC for 2024 and MWC for 2025.

Do we know how a merger would play out? What would happen to the NCAAT units for each conference? I know there has been a lot of movement in college football lately, but I don't think we have yet seen a merger. 

17 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I agree this would be the best option. I understand why many would prefer to leave the AAC's newer additions behind, but the PAC doesn't have a media deal (couldn't get one even when the PAC was still relatively intact) and it would be pricey for those who exit like USF - a much riskier and expensive proposition.

On the other hand, if the PAC just joins the AAC, we keep and probably improve the media deal, pay no exit fee, and keep open the prospect of joining the ACC one day if it still makes sense to do so. And if the B1G or ACC change their minds in the next year or two, and Stanford and Cal split from the AAC, we're really in no worse position than we started.

Worst possible outcome in all this would be for the ACC or B1G to change their minds in the next week or two and end up taking Stanford and Cal. If that happens, USF will need to really focus on improving its athletic programs (especially FB and BB), in the hope that FSU and others eventually split from the ACC, and we're an attractive candidate at that point to join the ACC.

If USF were to exit the AAC, I imagine that a lot of the exit fee could be covered by the money that they are owed from the entry and exit fees from the latest round of reshuffling.