• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Southern Miss going up without us would definitely shake my assertion that I won't be that upset until a younger football program than ours gets called up and we don't ........... but having said that, just as an FYI to some that still don't get the adversity we've been facing in the Donor Department. Since 2005, when we entered a big boy conference, to 2019, we've had an accumulation of Contributions to the tune of $43M. That same time frame, USM has had $57.5M.

Gulp! Man, that really hurts…

16 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

When the University is essentially suppressing athletic donations in a bid to increase its endowment, that is going to happen. 

Excellent point. It’s subversive but certainly there. This will require a change that the new president will have to initiate.  

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

17 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

When the University is essentially suppressing athletic donations in a bid to increase its endowment, that is going to happen. 

How does this happen? Genuinely curious, do they steer big money donors away from athletics?

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

5 minutes ago, bulloni said:

How does this happen? Genuinely curious, do they steer big money donors away from athletics?

You don't allow the same level of fundraising and solicitation for athletics while pursuing all the big donors from the academic side of things. Since 2010 the endowment grew from about $300 million to $600 million. When the academics are gobbling up nearly every major donation it is pretty hard to grow your athletics. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bulloni said:

“Perhaps” one way is when donations are made with no specific direction they immediately put the $ on the academic side. I know this happened where I worked but in the reverse as the $ went to a new scoreboard (holy hell was raised by the faculty nerds). 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

I brought this up before when Trips started in about donors not stepping up for athletics.  We have not hurt for donations to our University as evidenced by the growth and the endowment, it just hasn't been directed towards growing athletics and the football program specifically.   If the powers that be wanted to raise more money for athletics, it could have been done and perhaps they are ready to do that now or at least those making the decision on who the next President is may be ready to get it done .... we hope

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

There was a concerted effort to focus almost exclusively on building academic prestige and growing the endowment. I certainly can't argue with the results on that end, but much of that growth came at the expense of the football program. I don't mind a University being focused on academics and fundraising, but improving athletics and facilities can be part of that vision for growth. 

True, some universities do it across the board. We are now in catch-up mode maybe it will work out at some point in the future. I reflect back a number of years when we were in the conversation but like you pointed out, football lost focus. Watching UCF Houston Cincy move ahead and reap the benefits of their efforts is a tough pill to swallow. Not to mention, tens of millions of dollars lost revenue into athletics annually. It is what it is... 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, BulledOver said:

True, some universities do it across the board. We are now in catch-up mode maybe it will work out at some point in the future. I reflect back a number of years when we were in the conversation but like you pointed out, football lost focus. Watching UCF Houston Cincy move ahead and reap the benefits of their efforts is a tough pill to swallow. Not to mention, tens of millions of dollars lost revenue into athletics annually. It is what it is... 

I just can't help feel that there was a concerted effort to minimize football's importance starting with the firing of CJL.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I brought this up before when Trips started in about donors not stepping up for athletics.  We have not hurt for donations to our University as evidenced by the growth and the endowment, it just hasn't been directed towards growing athletics and the football program specifically.   If the powers that be wanted to raise more money for athletics, it could have been done and perhaps they are ready to do that now or at least those making the decision on who the next President is may be ready to get it done .... we hope

I think Weatherford and Griffin both value a commitment to athletics and they have the power to make sure the president selected also values athletics

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

54 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I just can't help feel that there was a concerted effort to minimize football's importance starting with the firing of CJL.

been a roller coaster ride ever since