• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

7 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Q: Can the power conferences survive without the big payouts from ESPN?

Q2:  Can ESPN survive as a stand alone streaming service? 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

7 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Summary: Disney to start stand-alone streaming service, including ESPN.  ESPN is paying staggering sums for professional sports rights, more than $7 billion in total while losing cable revenue steadily. Bottom line: ESPN's streaming service will have subscribers, but not nearly as many as it had in the heyday of cable television.

I'm not sure this is representing the situation entirely accurately.  ESPN is at least an option on every major streaming service right now (YouTube TV, Sling, DirectTV Now, etc).  So the formula isn't really cable + ESPN streaming service.  It is cable + ESPN streaming service, + every other global streaming service.  I don't know what that adds up to, but I don't the subscriber situation is quite as dire as presented.  On the other hand, I do think ESPN overextended itself with all of the content deals and their price.  In some cases they were negotiating against themselves.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Not looking good:

SEC: no way FL would allow

ACC: no way Miami/FSU allow

Big 12: will be gone and we may go but this will be the new AAC as teams move up (and no longer considered a power conference).

Big 10: I would be dead by the time it happens but I suppose a possibility if we get AAU status and they add another southern team. But 75 to 1 odds at best.

PAC12: uhhh...no

In eight years there will be four power conferences.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Wow , this thread is really close to 2000! Here's a question:

We've discussed ad nauseum the difficulty of crashing the playoff party; let's just throw that out the window and say the Bulls win the whole **** thing.  Do you believe this would expedite conference realignment? Does the impossible of a G5 winning a naty cause for an arms race to bring that program in? 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

The only way to kill this thread...

140225-nuke-it.jpg

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,051
  • Days Won:  469

If I lock the thread, the nuclear orbiters might be able to get a better read on it....let me know captain.

Power 4!  Just hope to see expansion to 16 teams each.  That'll be a tough deal.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

If I lock the thread, the nuclear orbiters might be able to get a better read on it....let me know captain.

Power 4!  Just hope to see expansion to 16 teams each.  That'll be a tough deal.

Kind of waiting to see the ESPN money bubble burst and what happens then. Everyone assumes the current deals will get larger when negotiations continue, but I think ESPN is seeing the writing on the wall with their bad investments. If the cable contracts get cut significantly, that may have a giant ripple affect with these major universities and their massive spending. Should be quite interesting. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

16 minutes ago, Bullschmutz said:

The only way to kill this thread...

140225-nuke-it.jpg

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

If you do that, you better put an industrial strength lock on it because I'll be damned if I let this thread be unavailable ...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't care if we get into the SEC, win five titles in a row with three national championships, this thread can never be locked.  It is an institution.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

Just shed a tear...my first post in this epic thread. JUST WIN!! Let our performance do the talking!