• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

George O'Leary seems to be a respected individual as far as I can tell.  I know he has a positive relationship with some important people at UT...the two schools have history beyond playing each other in football...which could be relevant to the BIG 12 conversation, but probably not. 

My opinion isn't important, but I think the global view of his image is not affected by his resume fudging anymore...he paid for his mistake in most peoples' eyes and has subsequently accomplished more than most in the game have over the past 15 years or so.  The Planchard incident was a tragedy first and foremost, but he had little to do with that really.  Kids with the sickle cell trait can't respire oxygen properly at the tissue level, he probably shouldn't have played football beyond HS tbh and certainly knew the risk.  If a bball player goes into a diabetic coma after exertion and ultimately dies is a coach responsible? All you can do as a coach/program is provide faster emergency services.  I'm pretty sure UCF addressed that, and built an indoor practice facility I think which probably helps a bit too...maybe not for sickle cell complications, but certainly for heat exposure.  After playing HS FB in Oviedo I understand how big a deal that is.  These Carolina kids have no idea what its like to play FB in FLA...though it goes both ways as I could not imagine playing towards the end of the season when its in the 30's and rainy.   

I recognize where I am so I am not trying to be funny when I say this, but considering what he has done for that school...IF he manages to get them to the BIG 12 AND/OR manages to set them up for the playoff/championship I would not be surprised if he is a college football hall of fame member after he retires.  He is a terrible recruiter though...

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

George O'Leary seems to be a respected individual as far as I can tell.  I know he has a positive relationship with some important people at UT...the two schools have history beyond playing each other in football...which could be relevant to the BIG 12 conversation, but probably not. 

My opinion isn't important, but I think the global view of his image is not affected by his resume fudging anymore...he paid for his mistake in most peoples' eyes and has subsequently accomplished more than most in the game have over the past 15 years or so.  The Planchard incident was a tragedy first and foremost, but he had little to do with that really.  Kids with the sickle cell trait can't respire oxygen properly at the tissue level, he probably shouldn't have played football beyond HS tbh and certainly knew the risk.  If a bball player goes into a diabetic coma after exertion and ultimately dies is a coach responsible? All you can do as a coach/program is provide faster emergency services.  I'm pretty sure UCF addressed that, and built an indoor practice facility I think which probably helps a bit too...maybe not for sickle cell complications, but certainly for heat exposure.  After playing HS FB in Oviedo I understand how big a deal that is.  These Carolina kids have no idea what its like to play FB in FLA...though it goes both ways as I could not imagine playing towards the end of the season when its in the 30's and rainy.   

I recognize where I am so I am not trying to be funny when I say this, but considering what he has done for that school...IF he manages to get them to the BIG 12 AND/OR manages to set them up for the playoff/championship I would not be surprised if he is a college football hall of fame member after he retires.  He is a terrible recruiter though...

Erick Plancher collapsed inside that indoor facility, which was nicknamed "The Oven" by the players.

Some players call the inside of UCF's Nicholson Fieldhouse, where Plancher collapsed during conditioning drills, "The Oven." ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3672808

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Yes, a player died in their with health problems, and yes they corrected how hot it was in their. How long are we going to bring up his death, George's resume, etc... Let's be the bigger fan base and move on. Let's let them be the jealous little bros talking about the same old non sense every year, not us.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I think if the BIG 12 expands USF should be included, but Tampa will not always be the biggest FLA market.  That will belong to Miami...and Orlando will pass Tampa in population in ~20 years according to census projections fwiw.  It doesn't really matter as the entire I-4 corridor will be one of the biggest population centers in the country...becoming a megalopolis together by 2035-2040.

Here's what worldpopulationreview.com has to say about size...

Tampa's population is estimated at 350,000 in 2014, up from 346,000 in 2011. Tampa is part of a large metropolitan area called the Tampa Bay Area (2.8 million population), and the city is also part of the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater Metropolitan statistical area. This is the fourth largest metro area in the Southeastern U.S. after Miami, Washington, D.C. and Atlanta. The Greater Tampa Bay area has more than 4.3 million people and is projected to hit 4.56 million by 2017.

Orlando has an estimated 2014 population of 254,000, which ranks 77th in the United States and a population density of 2,327 people per square mile, or 899 per square kilometer. The urban area is the 32nd largest in the country with 1.5 million people, while the Greater Orlando metropolitan area has a population of 2.13 million, which is the 26th largest in the country, the 6th largest in the Southeastern U.S. and the 3rd largest in Florida. Orlando is the largest inland city in Florida and the 5th largest city in Florida.

Go Bulls!

Edited by namuh-bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I think if the BIG 12 expands USF should be included, but Tampa will not always be the biggest FLA market.  That will belong to Miami...and Orlando will pass Tampa in population in ~20 years according to census projections fwiw.  It doesn't really matter as the entire I-4 corridor will be one of the biggest population centers in the country...becoming a megalopolis together by 2035-2040.

Here's what worldpopulationreview.com has to say about size...

Tampa's population is estimated at 350,000 in 2014, up from 346,000 in 2011. Tampa is part of a large metropolitan area called the Tampa Bay Area (2.8 million population), and the city is also part of the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater Metropolitan statistical area. This is the fourth largest metro area in the Southeastern U.S. after Miami, Washington, D.C. and Atlanta. The Greater Tampa Bay area has more than 4.3 million people and is projected to hit 4.56 million by 2017.

Orlando has an estimated 2014 population of 254,000, which ranks 77th in the United States and a population density of 2,327 people per square mile, or 899 per square kilometer. The urban area is the 32nd largest in the country with 1.5 million people, while the Greater Orlando metropolitan area has a population of 2.13 million, which is the 26th largest in the country, the 6th largest in the Southeastern U.S. and the 3rd largest in Florida. Orlando is the largest inland city in Florida and the 5th largest city in Florida.

Go Bulls!

21 Orlando, Florida metropolitan area Orlando, Florida Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, FL Combined Statistical Area 422 | 2,920,603 | 2,818,120 | +3.64% Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area

Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area

The Villages, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area

22 St. Louis metropolitan area St. Louis, Missouri St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL Combined Statistical Area 476 | 2,900,605 | 2,892,497 | +0.28% St. Louis, MO-IL Metropolitan Statistical Area

Farmington, MO Micropolitan Statistical Area

Centralia, IL Micropolitan Statistical Area

23 Tampa, Florida metropolitan area Tampa, Florida Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area 45300 | 2,842,878 | 2,783,243 | +2.14%  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Edited by George Jenkins

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Florida - Largest Cities

Name Population Latitude/Longitude

1 Jacksonville wikipedia article 821,784 30.332 / -81.656

2 Miami wikipedia article 399,457 25.774 / -80.194

3 Tampa wikipedia article 335,709 27.948 / -82.458

4 Saint Petersburg wikipedia article 244,769 27.771 / -82.679

5 Orlando wikipedia article 238,300 28.538 / -81.379

6 Hialeah wikipedia article 224,669 25.858 / -80.278

7 Tallahassee wikipedia article 181,376 30.438 / -84.281

8 Fort Lauderdale wikipedia article 165,521 26.122 / -80.143

9 Port Saint Lucie wikipedia article 164,603 27.294 / -80.35

10 Pembroke Pines wikipedia article 154,750 26.003 / -80.224

Looks like unf is getting a foosball team and going to the B12..... Who know? 😈

Edited by HR Bull

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Looks like unf is getting a foosball team and going to the B12..... Who know?

Yeah, but we all know that Jacksonville number is off. You can also say "Jacksonville is the biggest city in the U.S.!" and while it's technically correct, everyone knows that's not what we are talking about here. (Plus there's no such thing as a UNF fan... heh.)

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Directly from your first link --   

The combined Greater Tampa Bay region experienced a combined growth rate of 14.8 percent, growing from 3.4 million to 3.9 million and hitting the 4 million mark on April 1, 2007, in the continuous Tampa Bay urban area.[7] A 2012 estimate of the Tampa Bay Area shows a population of about 4,310,524 people and a 2017 projection of about 4,706,854.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Directly from your first link --   

The combined Greater Tampa Bay region experienced a combined growth rate of 14.8 percent, growing from 3.4 million to 3.9 million and hitting the 4 million mark on April 1, 2007, in the continuous Tampa Bay urban area.[7] A 2012 estimate of the Tampa Bay Area shows a population of about 4,310,524 people and a 2017 projection of about 4,706,854.

Go Bulls!

Game Over! Winner:Namuh

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

So... Add USF