• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Would you like to post basketball winning percentages for that same time period? I think it's safe to say the ACC at least partially considered it in realignment. 

And just who would argue against the idea that basketball DID NOT play a part in school selection? The ACC being one of the premier hoops conferences would certainly prefer a ... how do we phrase this... a multi-talented school? A school that brings the most to the table? 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Would you like to post basketball winning percentages for that same time period? I think it's safe to say the ACC at least partially considered it in realignment. 

And just who would argue against the idea that basketball DID NOT play a part in school selection? The ACC being one of the premier hoops conferences would certainly prefer a ... how do we phrase this... a multi-talented school? A school that brings the most to the table?

Well, slick seems to be the holdout you're looking for.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

AAC - MWC merger is still one that the networks won't pay for. USF needs to get into a conference that has a few brand name programs... Every P5 conference has at least two universities that have some brand name behind them... the AAC does not, and that is the problem. We need a brand name.

Other than what slpsi63 recommended with the addition of BYU, what brand names do you recommend? Navy, Air Force and Boise are probably the best brand names USF can hope to attach themselves to given what we ARE WORKING WITH.
What I am saying is that we need to be attached to Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Miami, USC, Oregon, Michigan, or Ohio State type of brand name, and we can only do that if we get into the P5. In the meantime, we need to dominate our conference and become a brand name of our own as best we can. Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

I would say there were two factors:

Can the proposed new school bring money to the rest of the league (95% of the consideration)

Does the proposed new school have good academics (5% of the consideration)

So, winning is not required, but a winning program often has more to offer (just look at USF's attendance and tv ratings when we are winning football games, vs when we are not)

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I doubt Boise does. They bent the MWC over when they "returned". Took more money than the other MWC schools, kept rights to their home games and a cut of TV money as well for bowls. SDSU I can see because they didnt get that deal.

If Boise wants back in, then they know something about impending realignment that the rest of us aren't privy to.

JTrue loves to talk crap about our conference record, but let me ask you JTrue: What were our overall records from 2005-2010? (We all know how we did in 2011-2012)

And don't try to spin your BS. List the overall records of USF Football from 2005-2010

2005 - 3rd place in conference and 6-6

2006 - 4th, 9-4

2007 - 3rd, 9-4

2008 - 6th, 8-5

2009 - 4th, 8-5

2010 - 5th, 8-5

Our average finish was somewhere between 4th and 5th place even after you ignore the last two years and only look at our "peak" seasons. How could I spin that?

People making it sound like we've done terrible since entering the Big East (2005), when in fact until Skippy took over we hadn't lost more than 5 games in any given season. I know he took over the team in 2010 but those 5-7 and 3-9 years were just unacceptable.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

AAC - MWC merger is still one that the networks won't pay for. USF needs to get into a conference that has a few brand name programs... Every P5 conference has at least two universities that have some brand name behind them... the AAC does not, and that is the problem. We need a brand name.

Other than what slpsi63 recommended with the addition of BYU, what brand names do you recommend? Navy, Air Force and Boise are probably the best brand names USF can hope to attach themselves to given what we ARE WORKING WITH.
What I am saying is that we need to be attached to Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Miami, USC, Oregon, Michigan, or Ohio State type of brand name, and we can only do that if we get into the P5. In the meantime, we need to dominate our conference and become a brand name of our own as best we can.

Understood.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511

What I am saying is that we need to be attached to Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Miami, USC, Oregon, Michigan, or Ohio State type of brand name, and we can only do that if we get into the P5. In the meantime, we need to dominate our conference and become a brand name of our own as best we can.

We could do that quicker by beating teams like BYU, BSU, Cincy, instead of Tulane, Swap some crap out and replace it with better teams.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

We could do that quicker by beating teams like BYU, BSU, Cincy, instead of Tulane, Swap some crap out and replace it with better teams.

Right.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

People making it sound like we've done terrible since entering the Big East (2005), when in fact until Skippy took over we hadn't lost more than 5 games in any given season. I know he took over the team in 2010 but those 5-7 and 3-9 years were just unacceptable.

No, I don't think anyone is saying we've done terrible since entering the Big East, so much as our record within Big East play leaves a lot to be desired. 22-34 (39.3% winning). IF the BE was arguably the weakest BCS conference, and our best finishes were mid to lower tier within the conference, it's hard to use superlatives to describe the program. As fans, it is often difficult to separate our allegiance to a team from the objective truth regarding performance. And when those with no ties to the program start looking at the numbers, for a team that is less than twenty years old, it looks to be very average. I think there's very few on this board, or fans regardless, that were happy with the annual mid-conference melt-downs or the last two years of a slow rolling train wreck.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

I doubt Boise does. They bent the MWC over when they "returned". Took more money than the other MWC schools, kept rights to their home games and a cut of TV money as well for bowls. SDSU I can see because they didnt get that deal.

If Boise wants back in, then they know something about impending realignment that the rest of us aren't privy to.

JTrue loves to talk crap about our conference record, but let me ask you JTrue: What were our overall records from 2005-2010? (We all know how we did in 2011-2012)

And don't try to spin your BS. List the overall records of USF Football from 2005-2010

Why don't you just get to your point so I don't have to guess? Is it that we should be in the ACC over Syracuse or Louisville?

1. Overall '05-'10 USF  was 48-29 (62.3% overall wining percentage) while 'Cuse was 22-50 (30.6%) and L'ville was 43-31 (58.1%). 

2. Wyoming is still in the Mountain West, but New Mexico State is independent in 2013 as is Idaho, in the imaginary league who knows where they'd land. Haven't heard one way or the other that they plan on joining a conference from 2014 forward.

New Mexico State and Idaho will be in Sun Belt for football only.