• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Fox Sports started out as a joint venture between Rupert Murdoch (Newscorp) and John Malone (TCU/Liberty Media) that started buying up the regional sports networks. Then, they had enough money and broadcast power to negotiate and beat out the over the air broadcast networks for some of the more important assets when they came available.

By the way, it's not like ESPN was a stand alone entity that just happened to grow to a giant either. ESPN, the original company, built a nice foundation, but it really took off when it was bought by Disney in the mid '90s or so. It is Disney that grew ESPN into the monster it has become.

Anyway, the sports broadcast landscape has grown and there has been more room for everyone to grab a bigger slice of a much larger pie. I don't see where any of the players lost. The top may have shifted, but none has actually fallen completely from grace.

With all this said, I still don't see how a smaller conference that is being blocked, by design, will break into the next P5 unless an entirely new system comes into play when the current contracts run out.

I'm talking about Fox, not Fox Sports.  And ESPN being purchased by Disney further proves my point.  Things change.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

****... Missed the party

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

We did it guys, 200 pages. What's the latest rumor????!!!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786

Fresh out of rumors but here's some OP/ED on the merits of monopoly...

The conference realignment merry-go-round began spinning in earnest three years ago this week. On June 10, 2010, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10. The next day, Nebraska accepted the Big Ten's offer. The drama would continue in fits and starts for 34 months, finally ending at the highest level of college sports this April when ACC presidents agreed to a Grant of Rights arrangement that should keep things stable until the newest batch of television contracts get close to expiring in about 10-12 years.

In the process, a major conference (the Big East) collapsed and rebooted as a middle class league (the American Athletic Conference), the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC got bigger, the Big 12 got smaller and we all learned more than we ever needed to know about how money gets made in the cable television universe. (Want to see all the moves? Click this graphic created by the incomparable Nick Infante of CollegeAthleticsClips.com.) Now that things have (hopefully) settled for a few years, it's a good time to examine all the moves involving the current five power conferences and decide which schools and leagues came out best.

For each move, I've assigned a letter grade that balances the benefit to the school with the benefit the addition of the school provides to the league. If it seems I'm basing most of my opinion on how each move affects football, it's because I am. Football brings in most of the money, and football drove most of these moves.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130611/conference-realignment-report-card/#ixzz2YTJSNood

****... Missed the party

You snooze you lose.

Oh well I was out drinking away our conference sorrows, suppose it wasn't a complete loss. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Fresh out of rumors but here's some OP/ED on the merits of monopoly...

The conference realignment merry-go-round began spinning in earnest three years ago this week. On June 10, 2010, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10. The next day, Nebraska accepted the Big Ten's offer. The drama would continue in fits and starts for 34 months, finally ending at the highest level of college sports this April when ACC presidents agreed to a Grant of Rights arrangement that should keep things stable until the newest batch of television contracts get close to expiring in about 10-12 years.

In the process, a major conference (the Big East) collapsed and rebooted as a middle class league (the American Athletic Conference), the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC got bigger, the Big 12 got smaller and we all learned more than we ever needed to know about how money gets made in the cable television universe. (Want to see all the moves? Click this graphic created by the incomparable Nick Infante of CollegeAthleticsClips.com.) Now that things have (hopefully) settled for a few years, it's a good time to examine all the moves involving the current five power conferences and decide which schools and leagues came out best.

For each move, I've assigned a letter grade that balances the benefit to the school with the benefit the addition of the school provides to the league. If it seems I'm basing most of my opinion on how each move affects football, it's because I am. Football brings in most of the money, and football drove most of these moves.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130611/conference-realignment-report-card/#ixzz2YTJSNood

Wow, that's a heckuva graphic

NameIt.jpg

Wow, that's a heckuva graphic

NameIt.jpg

Heckuva graphic indeed.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Yoda must be a USF fan trying to get rumors out there to get us out of the American