• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Strong entrance to the board. I like it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Popular movies that fall under the "parody" category include:

"Police Academy" (spoof on police movies of the 1980s)

"Austin Powers" (spoof on James Bond movies)

"Spaceballs" (spoof on Star Wars movies)

"Airplane!" (spoof on disaster movies of the 1970s)

"Blazing Saddles" (spoof on American Western movies)

"Young Frankenstein" (spoof on classic monster movies)

"Robin Hood: Men in Tights" (spoof on all Robin Hood movies)

"Scary Movie" (spoof on horror movies)

Get the flick out of here with that short!  :D

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Strong entrance to the board. I like it.

+1

Welcome KB! Now tell us how you REALLY feel... :D

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Also if USF/UCF got invited I dont see any "gift or loan" money coming from Big 12 as it would happen prior to June 30, 2013 for the 2014 season. 

WVU got help because Big 12 was in a bind and needed 1 after they took TCU (Wish Big 12 would have taken UL and WVU at once but TCU replaced A&M then WVU replaced Mizzou)

I would expect USF/UCF would have to pay the $10 mil and buyout only ~15 months of 27 months and that would mean probably $12.5 mil total from precedents seen below

WVU paid $5 mil buyout and then negotiated the total 27 months (2 seasons) for ~16 mil. = 21

Pitt and Cuse paid $5 mil buyout and negotiated the ~15 months (1 season) for ~2.5 = 7.5

UL will pay $10 mil buyout and will negotiated the ~15 months (1 season) for ~2.5 = $12.5

It will be interesting to see what ND pays since they have $0 buyout but have to negotiate the 27 months.

I think the one thing going for USF/UCF in regards to the Big12 is that the Big12 needs more eastern teams in order for their plan to gain parody with the SEC to work.

The big question is though can the Big12 manage to lure away FSU/UM... if they can, then I serious doubt that the Big12 would be interested in USF/UCF. Only way I can see the Big12 coming after us vs them, is if FSU/UM choose to stay in the sinking ACC, or if they can only get one of them.

Also who's to say that the Big12 will even want two Florida teams... they might be content with stopping at just FSU or Miami.

Like I said before, we need to just stay put where we are at and wait to see what becomes of the ACC. I believe that the ACC will cease to exist in a few years because the big 3 eastern conferences (Big12, Big10, and SEC) are gonna rip and tear.

How does adding USF/UCF help the Big12 gain "parity" with the SEC? Just cause you're in the east? Location isn't everything. The SEC and Big 12 pride themselves on football quality. So what do y'all bring to the party?

Whichever school you're a fan of, see if they can come on down and play us in Tampal. We have plenty to offer, ya'll come see for yourselves!

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Okay, so I got bored and started looking into the Big 12 situation a bit.

Here's how I see it:

1) The Big 12 is missing 2 teams. Waiting too long to fill those spots does them no good, plus losing the championship game is losing them money. But they also don't want weak teams and they don't want an imbalanced situation, meaning adding a bunch of teams is not in their best interest. Heck, WVU looked good on paper but it has been a bad addition for the first year.

2) The Big 12 would love to add FSU and one other team from the ACC and be back to 12 and let it sit for a while. But apparently FSU wants to bring a party of more than two, which would implode the ACC. Though, that can't be all true.

3) Something is holding up the Big 12 from adding FSU and somebody else. And I think it's on the FSU side. And I guess leaving would make FSU look really bad from an ACC perspective.

4) Can USF and somebody else do a side step into the Big 12? I don't think so. We haven't even won the Big East. WVU was a big dog in the Big East and has laid an egg in the Big 12, which makes our value to them worth about $1.50.

5) The best option for USF? I think the if FSU shakes itself from the ACC, USF --and ucf--can be a part of the rebuilding/replacing in the ACC.

Look, Football and men's basketball bring in money. USF hasn't been able to do that on its own yet, not like the likes of a WVU and Louisville: we just don't have the fan base.

What do we have? We've got university size, media market, and an administration that's willing to grow its athletic programs. So, yes, our new facilities and strengthened infrastructure -plus the firing of Skip- makes USF look like active contenders. We certainly look better than ucf.

This Big East purse money is really going to help USF.  We can keep on growing and wait for the next open spot. And I think that spot is in the ACC.

Miami is NOT going to rise again to the glory days any time soon. And if FSU leaves, which it probably will, because it wants more money, the ACC is going to be weak as a kitten. Duke basketball is not enough to save the ACC; they will want to expand their football resume. This is when USF can look really good.

Time? I think we will see this all go down in the next two seasons. This is why USF football needs to get back to kicking a$$ again. In Coach Taggart and company I trust! Would I feel the same way if anybody else was in there, anybody who was hire elsewhere this past season? Nope.

USF has come along way. There's no way in hell we are going backwards!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

And this is why I think everything looks good for USF.

FSU is not happy in the ACC: it lost money on the ACC Championship to the tune of $478,000.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1472519

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

At this point the Big 12 could have taken us if they really JUST wanted to expand. They passed on UL. The Cincy rumors were out there too. There is smoke with FSU. Who knows who joins them.

I think the ACC is a possibility if two ACC schools jet for the Big 12. UConn will be one. The last spot will be a fight.

And no, I'm not buying the total chaos theory that some have subscribed to on here.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Okay, so I got bored and started looking into the Big 12 situation a bit.

Here's how I see it:

1) The Big 12 is missing 2 teams. Waiting too long to fill those spots does them no good, plus losing the championship game is losing them money. But they also don't want weak teams and they don't want an imbalanced situation, meaning adding a bunch of teams is not in their best interest. Heck, WVU looked good on paper but it has been a bad addition for the first year.

2) The Big 12 would love to add FSU and one other team from the ACC and be back to 12 and let it sit for a while. But apparently FSU wants to bring a party of more than two, which would implode the ACC. Though, that can't be all true.

3) Something is holding up the Big 12 from adding FSU and somebody else. And I think it's on the FSU side. And I guess leaving would make FSU look really bad from an ACC perspective.

4) Can USF and somebody else do a side step into the Big 12? I don't think so. We haven't even won the Big East. WVU was a big dog in the Big East and has laid an egg in the Big 12, which makes our value to them worth about $1.50.

5) The best option for USF? I think the if FSU shakes itself from the ACC, USF --and ucf--can be a part of the rebuilding/replacing in the ACC.

Look, Football and men's basketball bring in money. USF hasn't been able to do that on its own yet, not like the likes of a WVU and Louisville: we just don't have the fan base.

What do we have? We've got university size, media market, and an administration that's willing to grow its athletic programs. So, yes, our new facilities and strengthened infrastructure -plus the firing of Skip- makes USF look like active contenders. We certainly look better than ucf.

This Big East purse money is really going to help USF.  We can keep on growing and wait for the next open spot. And I think that spot is in the ACC.

Miami is NOT going to rise again to the glory days any time soon. And if FSU leaves, which it probably will, because it wants more money, the ACC is going to be weak as a kitten. Duke basketball is not enough to save the ACC; they will want to expand their football resume. This is when USF can look really good.

Time? I think we will see this all go down in the next two seasons. This is why USF football needs to get back to kicking a$$ again. In Coach Taggart and company I trust! Would I feel the same way if anybody else was in there, anybody who was hire elsewhere this past season? Nope.

USF has come along way. There's no way in hell we are going backwards!

Good analysis. My take on your points ...

First, i think the FSU situation has a few dimensions. First, i don't think FSU is in the driver's seat as far as moving is concerned. The Big 12 obviously doesn't want them or else they would have invited them by now.  Second, and conversely, i also think there is a powerful FSU faction that romanticizes the ACC's better academic standing and wants to be affiliated with that over the Big 12. Of course their fan base wants the SEC, but the SEC doesn't want them. Overall, it's by no means clear that FSU can leave the ACC even if it wanted to, and it may not want to.

Second, I don't think the Big 12 moves towards USF under any conceivable circumstances. They will not be "desperate" enough to have a CCG to take us if FSU declines an offer. We just do not bring enough to their table.

Third, I agree our best, really only, Power 5 hope is the ACC. If the ACC gets raided by the B1G and/or SEC (and i think if the B1G takes any more ACC teams the SEC will step in to take some for themselves), then we could very well get a bid. But the ACC would have to need at least two teams, since IMO, UConn would get a bid before we would.

Overall, given the B1G's appetite, i don't think (3) is beyond the realm of possibility.

PS ... I lived in the USF dorms from 1985 - 1989 as an undergrad and then as a grad student (yep, for one year, LOL. Was weird being 24 with a bunch of 18 year olds during the 88-89 school year). But my time was spent over in Andros, in the Theta and Lambda dorms. Did spend the summer of 1987 on a work crew cleaning Alpha and Beta. That was a trip.

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

The only problem is if the ACC loses UNC, FSU, Miami, VT, Clemson, Pitt, and GT, then it won't be a power 5 conference anymore, and even if we get into the revamped ACC it will be pretty much the same as now - we'll be looking at the power 4 and wishing we were in that group.

From everything I have seen, it looks like the ACC or Big12 will be the one that gets blown up in the future.  I hope we can get in the one that survives.

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

The only problem is if the ACC loses UNC, FSU, Miami, VT, Clemson, Pitt, and GT, then it won't be a power 5 conference anymore, and even if we get into the revamped ACC it will be pretty much the same as now - we'll be looking at the power 4 and wishing we were in that group.

From everything I have seen, it looks like the ACC or Big12 will be the one that gets blown up in the future.  I hope we can get in the one that survives.

Go Bulls!

EXACTLY.

Once we were to get into the ACC, the ACC wouldn't really be worth getting into anymore.

I think the best we could hope for if the ACC blows up is forming a 'best of' conference made of the remainders of the ACC and the best of whatever-it-is called conference we are in now.

We'll still be on the outside looking in thanks to the 'big 4', but perhaps we could piece together a better tv contract and come up with some, more interesting games.