• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach's Show - Post Tulsa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

you can blame the players for not executing for every loss we have ever had. we lost to UF because we didn't execute......

did you think lining the halfback 7 yards deep to take a direct snap (after we had just done it and failed)was a smart call? It was obvious what we were going to do.

For sure it was on the level of Voo Doo 5 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It was Doo Doo 5.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

50 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Still worst play call in USF football history 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

18 hours ago, Bull94 said:

he is coaching "not to lose" in the 4th quarter with a lead. he did it last year against memphis and to a certain extent against Temple. You can't do that with a bad defense that lets them go 99 yards for  a TD. Or lets them score in 6 seconds from 40 yards out. You have to keep your foot on the gas.

when everyone in the stadium knows you are going to run a certain play(i.e. wildcat run up the middle) maybe you are being too conservative. Maybe instead of running in an obvious running situation, you call a play action and hit a TE down the seems behind the safeties. go for the kill.

two 3 and outs up by 11 in 4th quarter. only after they scored once did he decide to go for it on 4th down. he looked panicked and called a TO only to run the same exact play again.

I'm all for the guy. I wanted to hire him when we ended up with Strong. I hope he works out here but if he is an offensive minded coach and has a bad defense, he shouldn't be getting conservative with a lead. He needs to learn how to put teams away. not hold on for a win. coaching not to lose is exactly what got Holtz fired. he turned games we should have won into close losses

BTW notice in the NFL how the young coaches are way less conservative now. always going for it on 4th down. going for the kill shot TD instead of settling for a FG. Minn Vikings have lost 2 or 3 games because their coach is too conservative and is playing for FGs at the end. Dallas finally learned and went for the TD this week in OT instead of setting up for a FG.

He went for it on 4th down - twice.  You just don't like the play call but can't say he's playing not to lose. It isn't like we have a QB that completes 70% of his passes.  I could see it now. We try to throw 3 passes, 2 are incomplete passes andthe clock stops after each one and we take a sack on the other and we have to punt it away. Everyone would say he isn't managing the clock. Maybe call a different play on 4th down but the fact that he went for it on 4th down is a good thing IMO.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,713
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

you can blame the players for not executing for every loss we have ever had. we lost to UF because we didn't execute......

did you think lining the halfback 7 yards deep to take a direct snap (after we had just done it and failed)was a smart call? It was obvious what we were going to do.

Hindsight is always 20/20. No matter what was called, it was going to be a bad call if it didn’t work. It was there on 3rd down but Mangham stumbled so no real problem with tweaking it a bit and trying again. Something else may or may not have worked but we’ll never know. All we do know is that didn’t work so is open to second guessing. 

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,713
  • Days Won:  424

55 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

They’re called TDS now…

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

That Sean Payton is such a dummass.  Jeff Scott is the first guy to try that play.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

44 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

He went for it on 4th down - twice.  You just don't like the play call but can't say he's playing not to lose. It isn't like we have a QB that completes 70% of his passes.  I could see it now. We try to throw 3 passes, 2 are incomplete passes andthe clock stops after each one and we take a sack on the other and we have to punt it away. Everyone would say he isn't managing the clock. Maybe call a different play on 4th down but the fact that he went for it on 4th down is a good thing IMO.

he took 1:34 and 1:40 off the clock on those two drives. BTW the way he is using his time outs is total clock mismanagement.

I get being conservative and playing field position football by running into the line to run clock and then punting but with our defense(let them drive 99 yards for TD and they went 40 yards in 6 seconds for a TD)it was a recipe for disaster. that's what conservative coaches with a good defense can do.

I don't know why everyone thinks with as bad as we are on defense that we shouldn't be taking chances to put games away.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

44 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

That Sean Payton is such a dummass.  Jeff Scott is the first guy to try that play.

we almost used it as much in one game as Sean Payton has used it in 3 years....oh and it's obvious it's going to be a run.

New Orleans has only shown the wildcat concept four times since 2018. Each time, Kamara has kept the ball and run it.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-1.39.41-PM.png

The play comes and goes and then comes again. Each time the Saints run a wildcat play, it sparks imagination and wonderment. When will Sean Payton use it next? Is a...

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

with our defense(let them drive 99 yards for TD and they went 40 yards in 6 seconds for a TD)it was a recipe for disaster. that's what conservative coaches with a good defense can do.

I don't know why everyone thinks with as bad as we are on defense that we shouldn't be taking chances to put games away.

You just hope these new data points feed into the coaching algorithm for future games.  Even in the NFL now I keep seeing teams every week march all the way down the field and win in one minute.