• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

State of USF football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think he saw $.  That was enough.  

He also started talking about winning National Championships at Oregon (granted, you have to) so he probably thought he was the next big thing even though he didn't win a bowl game.  There is theoretically a higher ceiling than the Birmingham Bowl.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don't.  As the son of a former college coach, they know good programs from bad programs.  They know where ******** happens and where it doesn't.  We gladly walked onto the ******** map with that fiasco.  Who would be interested except for those risking it for the chance to bag some cash?  It's the same argument that says we shouldn't fire coaches before year two or three is up.  Who would want to walk into that?  Now was Willie specifically thinking of that?  I doubt it.  I think he saw $.  That was enough.  

$ and a move up in the college football hierarchy ....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

No doubt, he was going to whomever was going to pay.  Fortunately, the people that can afford to pay a ridiculous sum for an unproven coach are the programs that are higher in the hierarchy.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

No doubt, he was going to whomever was going to pay.  Fortunately, the people that can afford to pay a ridiculous sum for an unproven coach are the programs that are higher in the hierarchy.

we pay a ridiculous amount $2.5M to an unproven head coach. Taggart had rebuilt two programs before they hired him.

Funny thing is whenever we break the bank to hire a  coach, we strike out.

Our two on the cheap hires have been our two best coaches.

I figured someone would come back with us paying an unproven head coach, we are.  "Can afford" was key verbiage.  We can't afford to it.  We just can't pay as much as Oregon, thankfully.

We're not paying Jeff Scott $2.5 million, I hope.

Nevermind, essentially we are.

:seth:

Luckily, we negotiated this:

The former Clemson co-offensive coordinator must pay USF $2.5 million if he leaves on his own before Dec. 31 2020.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,732
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, MikePhillips said:

Going to take at least 6-10 years to bring this back to anything resembling a decent football program.

You might be right, but it also could be done a lot faster. I mean, our buddies to the east were winless in 2015 and undefeated two seasons later. Not saying that will happen here, but college football is hard to predict. 

I'm just glad we have a football team and a place like TBP where Bulls fans can come together to talk about the team and both cheer and weep together virtually. Win or lose, I'm feel like I'm getting at least some value out of this whole Bulls fan thing. It's all in how you look at it I suppose. 🤘

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

You might be right, but it also could be done a lot faster. I mean, our buddies to the east were winless in 2015 and undefeated two seasons later. Not saying that will happen here, but college football is hard to predict. 

I'm just glad we have a football team and a place like TBP where Bulls fans can come together to talk about the team and both cheer and weep together virtually. Win or lose, I'm feel like I'm getting at least some value out of this whole Bulls fan thing. It's all in how you look at it I suppose. 🤘

It comes down to having a QB that make things happen (which I believe we have) and a coach who can recruit and lead (which I am not so sure). 

• Like 1