• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA approves athletes getting paid

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

27 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No…if their food sucks I boo; if their football sucks I boo; separate but equal…

I really have no problem booing the fry cook at Mickey D’s.  As a former professional fry cook at this fine establishment I would have either thrown food at you or spit on your food or possibly both, every action has a consequence.  I really don’t think this positively or negatively affects us, however the playoff expansion gave us a breath of life and a chance to dream, the current path we were on was off the cliff.  

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, Friscobull said:

I really have no problem booing the fry cook at Mickey D’s.  As a former professional fry cook at this fine establishment I would have either thrown food at you or spit on your food or possibly both, every action has a consequence.  I really don’t think this positively or negatively affects us, however the playoff expansion gave us a breath of life and a chance to dream, the current path we were on was off the cliff.  

Any change in the landscape is an opportunity to either advance, stay stagnant or fall behind and athletic departments that managed to get their entire team contracts most certainly have a leg up on teams that let their players join Cameo for video games (maybe we arent on the level of the U but we ought to at least be more marketable than an AAC women's basketball team). As a smaller budget team on the outside looking in we should be at the forefront of any possible paradigm shift because we have pretty close to nothing to lose while they have to figure out how to not lose their vaults full of money. Unfortunately it is kind of hard to battle the establishment while using their hand me downs to lead you while they are painfully aware their best future opportunities will be coming from back in the machine.

We need to drain the SWAMP on Fowler before we are relegated to the official scout team of UF athletics. Every single expendable dollar should be diverted from athletics (who will just squander it like every other time) and into "sponsoring" players as that is an actual tangible path to relevancy and not a single ******* person on earth has decided to take a free job because they liked the facilities over one that had actual pay and a marginally worse office. If the athletics program had a plan on how to use money to get towards wins we probably would be on that track instead of on the constant slide we have experienced under VPMK's leadership.

Money to players leads to better players, better players leads to more wins, more wins leads to more fans, more fans leads to more money and more money leads to better facilities and better coaches (they are trying to flow backwards despite any and all evidence that it doesnt work for us). That is an actual path to relevance and it rings a whole lot truer than give me more money leads to give me more money and at some point I will miracle that to my first success (assuming I have enough time and feasibility studies) which of course will then cost you more money . 

I know Brad is whole heatedly against the whole thing but if he changes his mind I am more than happy to contribute to thebullspen.com student athlete endorsement fund, at the very least that should be fun. UCF has done some things that we have all thought were embarrassing but at least they take shots, are bold and recognize they have nothing to really lose which, no matter how dumb their idea is, and it is not nearly as embarrassing as our stupid stay the course and do nothing as we slowly disappear plan (but hey at least we have our morals and failed the right way! That's worth way more than money, success and power said no one that has any of those things ever). 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

NIL is Here, but Which AAC Teams Are Best Suited to Benefit?

At the last possible second, the NCAA has turned July into the month when every player gets access to NIL rights, but which AAC team is set to benefit the most?

By Dan Morrison  

8. USF

When you’re a bad college team in a city with a great NFL team, and you don’t even have your own stadium on campus, then it’s going to be difficult to make a lot from NIL deals. USF won’t be alone in this regard. Boston College will have trouble competing with the Patriots, while SMU needs to convince people in Dallas to put the Cowboys aside. It’s possible to do, but very difficult with a bad team that doesn’t have a distinct identity right now.

Of course, there is some potential here. Tampa is still a major city, and there are a lot of local kids who have the potential to make it to USF, improve the program, and get some strong NIL deals that might not be as available in the current circumstances. Still, until Tom Brady retires, the Bulls are the second show in town. Besides that, it doesn’t help that they’re trailing their rivals in UCF right now in terms of production.

Le’Vontae Camiel, a defensive end for the Bulls, has already joined the popular Yoke gaming.

Full Report

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

NIL is Here, but Which AAC Teams Are Best Suited to Benefit?

At the last possible second, the NCAA has turned July into the month when every player gets access to NIL rights, but which AAC team is set to benefit the most?

By Dan Morrison  Jul 6, 2021, 1:00pm EDT

8. USF

When you’re a bad college team in a city with a great NFL team, and you don’t even have your own stadium on campus, then it’s going to be difficult to make a lot from NIL deals. USF won’t be alone in this regard. Boston College will have trouble competing with the Patriots, while SMU needs to convince people in Dallas to put the Cowboys aside. It’s possible to do, but very difficult with a bad team that doesn’t have a distinct identity right now.

Of course, there is some potential here. Tampa is still a major city, and there are a lot of local kids who have the potential to make it to USF, improve the program, and get some strong NIL deals that might not be as available in the current circumstances. Still, until Tom Brady retires, the Bulls are the second show in town. Besides that, it doesn’t help that they’re trailing their rivals in UCF right now in terms of production.

Le’Vontae Camiel, a defensive end for the Bulls, has already joined the popular Yoke gaming.

Full Report

So we are 8th because we have the Bucs and play in their stadium but Houston is 2nd for being in the same city as the Texans, Cincinnati is 4th for playing in the same city as the Bengals, SMU 5th playing in the same city as some team called the Cowboys and Tulane 7th playing in the same city as the Saints. There are plenty of opportunities to be had in Tampa and the big city draw is highlighted as a bonus with plenty to go around in every other example but ours. Does anyone honestly believe that the same people looking to hire a random football player from college are suddenly not going to do that because they have Tom Brady or are only interested in signing a player if they can co-market it with a stadium endorsement(people spending millions on a single endorsement are not the same people looking to spend thousands)? These things have nothing to do with anything and we are in 8th solely because we are last in the standings and have yet to demonstrate a path forward. If you buy the athletes they will come and if they come so will every other piece of the puzzle that seems to be missing at present, I think I learned that in Field of Dreams. 

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

4 hours ago, puc86 said:

. . .Money to players leads to better players, better players leads to more wins, more wins leads to more fans, more fans leads to more money and more money leads to better facilities and better coaches (they are trying to flow backwards despite any and all evidence that it doesnt work for us). . .

I think that I have heard this line of thinking before 

FF06C9E3-E203-47A0-88BD-55573A4ADB21.jpeg

4 hours ago, bowman1 said:

I think that I have heard this line of thinking before 

FF06C9E3-E203-47A0-88BD-55573A4ADB21.jpeg

See that guy had to know what he was talking about if they even made a movie about himal pacino drugs GIF

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,843
  • Days Won:  22

USF Athletics better get smart and aggressive fast. Two things they don’t have a good track record in. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,711
  • Days Won:  424

19 hours ago, puc86 said:

So we are 8th because we have the Bucs and play in their stadium

Right, the author never touches on the state of the football program being part of the problem ...... except for the several times he did. Another one of your patented paragraphs predicated on a straw man argument.

And even if/when we do start winning again, the reality is we're going to have a tougher problem than those other "city" programs he has ranked above us.

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Right, the author never touches on the state of the football program being part of the problem ...... except for the several times he did. Another one of your patented paragraphs predicated on a straw man argument.

And even if/when we do start winning again, the reality is we're going to have a tougher problem than those other "city" programs he has ranked above us.

And what exactly are those unique issues? Tom Brady and not having our own stadium? No one is deciding between hiring Tom Brady and a college kid, not a single company on Earth. It’s no different than saying someone is deciding between a Kia and a Bentley. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

36 minutes ago, puc86 said:

And what exactly are those unique issues? Tom Brady and not having our own stadium? No one is deciding between hiring Tom Brady and a college kid, not a single company on Earth. It’s no different than saying someone is deciding between a Kia and a Bentley. 

I would say you both are right, we have a litany of problems and will struggle for all of these reasons, bad team and better entertainment choices in the area.  People will not choose between hiring Tom over a college kid but will choose between the two  when deciding on spending the day at the stadium.  I had Buc’s season tickets from 98-2005 and because of this only went to a handful of USF games, not proud of this but they provided me more entertainment value and I could not tailgate at the stadium all weekend with little kids at home, old lady would not have had it.