• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone on here in the medical field, more so cardiology?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

16 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

I have mitral valve regurgitation.  My Cardiologist (from USF Health) told me he thinks I can get it repaired instead of replaced, but told me I need to go to Mayo, Cleveland Clinic ect.   He said all the in state facilities are not the best in repairing the valve, that there is a 30% chance I will be told they can't repair it, while the more prominent places will be a less then 10% chance.   I'm researching facilities and leaning towards Emory since Atlanta is the easiest trip.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feel free to PM me.... I've been in Healthcare my entire life... I'm happy to assist anyway I can

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Skingraft said:

Feel free to PM me.... I've been in Healthcare my entire life... I'm happy to assist anyway I can

Thanks man.    I'm really focusing on finding the surgeon that will do the repair instead of replacement, I'm finding out it's pretty specialized. 

My fear is choosing a surgeon to get it repaired then him saying at surgery time oooopppps you need a replacement.  

I'm 53 and don't want to be on blood thinners my whole life if I get the mechanical replacement, plus Life expectancy of the mechanical is 20-25 years.  Tissue (pig or human) life span is a little over 10 years.  I really don't want to go through this again when I'm older.  I am extremely healthy right now (amazingly even my heart is in great shape) .  

With a replacement I can go back to normal and get smashed in 2028 when USF wins our first ever conference championship. With the valves I can only get buzzed :)  

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

Thanks man.    I'm really focusing on finding the surgeon that will do the repair instead of replacement, I'm finding out it's pretty specialized. 

My fear is choosing a surgeon to get it repaired then him saying at surgery time oooopppps you need a replacement.  

I'm 53 and don't want to be on blood thinners my whole life if I get the mechanical replacement, plus Life expectancy of the mechanical is 20-25 years.  Tissue (pig or human) life span is a little over 10 years.  I really don't want to go through this again when I'm older.  I am extremely healthy right now (amazingly even my heart is in great shape) .  

With a replacement I can go back to normal and get smashed in 2028 when USF wins our first ever conference championship. With the valves I can only get buzzed :)  

With you being in great shape and your attitude, you already got this beat!  Take the good advice from these good people and from your Doctor, and You Got This!

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

My dad has been through some probably more mild stuff, but valve issue was causing him to go into AFib. They just did an ablation, seems to be working so far.

Anyway, what is the procedure for replacement? Is it catheter, or do they have to open you up? If catheter, my opinion (which is worthless) would be to make the trip to the best place possible. Obviously, if it's a more intense surgery and thus recovery, it makes the decision harder. I don't know anything about it, but I know Advent Health over here in Orlando is well known for Cardiology. I also know that hospitals are big business and it's cut-throat as all get out, so it may be hard for your local doctor to refer you to a competing local hospital. Driving a couple hours for a second opinion seems good if you find a doctor you feel like can do it.

Good luck, I can definitely tell from your post that you are taking it in stride and have a good attitude and will have a good outcome. Heart stuff has advanced so much, when my dad's stuff cropped up, I feel like we were close to losing him, but it's been 20 months or so since he was in the hospital and he's in the best shape of his life.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Not in the Medical Field but having heart issues myself, Thankfully nothing that needed intervention yet, I would highly recommend Emory. I live now an hour north of Atlanta and my cardiologist is based north of ATL, but he has told me that if I ever need to go for any procedure that’s where he will recommend.

Good luck to you. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  18

I had the same problem, same valve.  Went to Emory to Dr Vinod Thourani.  This was 5 years ago, I think he left Emory for Cleveland Clinic.  Heard he might be back in Atlanta.  I was diagnosed at 62, was told repair or replacement, he said he thought he could repair, also repaired a mild aortic aneurysm while he had the hood up.

Very positive experience.

my local cardiologist said you want to go somewhere they do 10 a week, not ten a year.

good luck

On 1/15/2021 at 8:47 AM, Orlando Bull said:

My dad has been through some probably more mild stuff, but valve issue was causing him to go into AFib. They just did an ablation, seems to be working so far.

Anyway, what is the procedure for replacement? Is it catheter, or do they have to open you up? If catheter, my opinion (which is worthless) would be to make the trip to the best place possible. Obviously, if it's a more intense surgery and thus recovery, it makes the decision harder. I don't know anything about it, but I know Advent Health over here in Orlando is well known for Cardiology. I also know that hospitals are big business and it's cut-throat as all get out, so it may be hard for your local doctor to refer you to a competing local hospital. Driving a couple hours for a second opinion seems good if you find a doctor you feel like can do it.

Good luck, I can definitely tell from your post that you are taking it in stride and have a good attitude and will have a good outcome. Heart stuff has advanced so much, when my dad's stuff cropped up, I feel like we were close to losing him, but it's been 20 months or so since he was in the hospital and he's in the best shape of his life.

Actually I have been referred to a Doctor at Advent Health in OTown from someone who sells medical equipment to cardiology surgeons throughout the southeast

13 minutes ago, donkey hote said:

I had the same problem, same valve.  Went to Emory to Dr Vinod Thourani.  This was 5 years ago, I think he left Emory for Cleveland Clinic.  Heard he might be back in Atlanta.  I was diagnosed at 62, was told repair or replacement, he said he thought he could repair, also repaired a mild aortic aneurysm while he had the hood up.

Very positive experience.

my local cardiologist said you want to go somewhere they do 10 a week, not ten a year.

good luck

Just looked him up, very impressive   Thanks

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

16 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

Actually I have been referred to a Doctor at Advent Health in OTown from someone who sells medical equipment to cardiology surgeons throughout the southeast

Is it this guy?  If so, you won’t be disappointed.  My mom was seeing a cardiologist at BayCare and was referred to Dr Accola in Orlando at Advent Health.  He does a lot of these types of procedures.  Wherever you go I wish you a speedy recovery!  :GoBulls:

148.jpg

See patient reviews, physician biography, videos and contact information for Dr. Kevin Accola, heart surgeon, in Orlando, Florida.