• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone on here in the medical field, more so cardiology?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  0

I have mitral valve regurgitation.  My Cardiologist (from USF Health) told me he thinks I can get it repaired instead of replaced, but told me I need to go to Mayo, Cleveland Clinic ect.   He said all the in state facilities are not the best in repairing the valve, that there is a 30% chance I will be told they can't repair it, while the more prominent places will be a less then 10% chance.   I'm researching facilities and leaning towards Emory since Atlanta is the easiest trip.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,514
  • Days Won:  28

3 minutes ago, goingbackbull said:

I have mitral valve regurgitation.  My Cardiologist (from USF Health) told me he thinks I can get it repaired instead of replaced, but told me I need to go to Mayo, Cleveland Clinic ect.   He said all the in state facilities are not the best in repairing the valve, that there is a 30% chance I will be told they can't repair it, while the more prominent places will be a less then 10% chance.   I'm researching facilities and leaning towards Emory since Atlanta is the easiest trip.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My wife went to Northside in Gwinnett county GA for her heart procedure. They did a great job. But Emory is a great facility as well.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'd look into Mass-General in Boston... affiliated with Harvard Medical School 

Edited by Skingraft

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I’m not in the medical field but my mom needed valve repair and was referred to a Dr Accola in Orlando.  He’s pretty renowned in the field.  Good Luck!

148.jpg

See patient reviews, physician biography, videos and contact information for Dr. Kevin Accola, heart surgeon, in Orlando, Florida.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  337
  • Days Won:  0

Good luck with this procedure and wishing you great health in the future. 

Edited by bullfan04
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Skingraft said:

I'd look into Mass-General in Boston... affiliated with Harvard Medical School 

Bringham and Women is also a very good place for valve surgery. Hopkins in Baltimore is another. I am more familiar with the northeast health systems. Emory has a great congenital heart disease program so I can only imagine they'd be a premiere valve surgery center. Duke would be also an option. Only issue is that I am not sure how complex your mitral valve regurgitation is. If feasible, repair is a bit more superior to a replacement so I get his thought process.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

Best of luck to you. Hope everything works out well.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

14 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

Sorry to hear that you have a medical problem and I hope you find a facility that can repair it for you. You must have some of the more severe associated symptoms if they are advising surgery. A lot of us old farts especially I'm told, if you take BP meds have some of the valve leakage. When they found mine I was the only one freaked out by the report. The doctors were like, aw dont worry about it unless you start to get advanced symptoms. Doesn't give you a lot of confidence. That's all I know on this stuff. I hope you can find successful relief/repair you are looking for, Best of Luck.