• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of twelve game seasons

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Well guys here it is, Miami just signed FIU for 06 and 07 at home. Their AD says that the twelve game seasons will allow them SEVEN home games a year. That means ONE out of conference away yearly.

I think youll see the big programs that pack their stadiums signing more smaller programs without areturn game.

What that means for USF and the Big East which needs FIVE out of conference games a year is either we sign more 1AA's at home or go to power programs without a return trip. The Big East needs a ninth football member fast.

Already talk in Pac10 and CUSA is to use that extra game for schools to play conference teams which will lower the number of teams available for out of conference 1-1 deals.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Throw in the fact that schools like Miami can even play a Div I-AA Home Game EVERY YEAR and still count it for bowl eligibility annually.

Only a few top programs are using the 12th game to play other National Powers (i.e. Alabama playing Florida State in Jacksonville, etc...).

Most programs wanted the 12th Game specially for the chance to have at LEAST 7 home games (ND, Wisconsin, etc...will have EIGHT home games some years) to make Millions more.

Maybe now more then ever...USF and UCF should lock into a long-term deal for an annual series just 90 miles apart for years to come. That would certainly make scheduling much easier for both teams in the future. One less game to worry about getting.

KL

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I have to agree with Knightlight...  Hell book ucf for 10 years now before they go sell themselves to other big east teams or other bcs conferences...  Times are tough we get 7 Big East games, ucf, famu, and now we need to schedule 3 more?  What do we have for next year 7BE, ucf, North Carolina, FIU and 2 open spots... I would think famu for 1 of them but who knows for other 1?   Don't want to beat the 9th member drum but we sure could use another big east team.... Any chance that georgetown or villanova go 1a?

actually KL i think its safe to say that the games will be continued.

Il go on record now that we WILL play 1aa teams at home at least every other year.

Virginia Tech is playing:

William and Mary in 07

Furman in 08

Appalachian St in 11

thats THREE in SIX years. They also have SEVEN home games in FOUR out of those six and another is SIX home and ONE neutral

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

If we are going to play a 1AA school at home. I say lets lock up FAMU or BCC for the home opener every year.  The attendance for that game will be good and its a good warm up for the team.

The UCF series will probably go on for at least another 3 to 5 years so we can fullfill our CUSA obligations. I think we will see how the game goes next year and before we lock in the series.

By seeing how it will go, I mean:

How many USF fans travel.

How our athletic dept thinks our fans are treated.

How our students act and represent USF.

I don't think score will even matter if the series goes on.

But if it works out, I think the series will go on.

Saying that, I still think Louisville is our biggest rival.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

The UCF/USF game should be continued to play every year.  It doesn't matter by how much USF wins next year.  Look at the UF/Georgia rivalry, how many times has Georgia beat UF in the last 20 years? Not many, but they continue to play each other.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

well Fla/Ga pay because of conference obligations...FSU/Fla (FSU beating FLA most the times, including a very controversal 2003 game) continues and will forever. There is no doubt in my mond that this series lasts beyond next season, draws well, its easy to schedule because UCF wants it, travel costs are cheap, and it will be the exclusive rivalry for both schools down the road (most wont accept it now).

I believe the Big East will add another football team by 2010 for scheduling purposes, its gonna hurt the league more having to schedule 5 games a year.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Days Won:  3

The UCF/USF game should be continued to play every year.  It doesn't matter by how much USF wins next year.  Look at the UF/Georgia rivalry, how many times has Georgia beat UF in the last 20 years? Not many, but they continue to play each other.

It also doesn't hurt that UF and Georgia are in the same conference

However, I do agree with keeping the SF/CF game going. It satisfies our lingering CUSA requriement for a game without the added expense of traveling to some place in Tejas.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I agree.  Keep the UCF game.  It can only help in years when we're looking for that extra game.  Plus until the Big East gets back to being a power conference, it will be really tough to schedule the 12th game.  It also might help recruit from the Orlando area.