• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

30 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

That was a magical year when we started 17-6 and then proceeded to **** the bed and lose 7 of our last 9. But then we went on a "magical" run by defeating an elite guantlet of programs (that had the worst RPI and NET ratings of anyone in the post season) like Stony Brook, Utah Valley, Loyola Marymount and DePaul to win the coveted CBI Championship.

Maybe I'd feel more favorably about if it translated into something more meaningful (and recognizable) the following season. 

So we didn't lose 7 of our last 9?

You mean the season that we lost our far and away best player on the eve of the season?   

#FireGregory

🙄

Edited by chapelbull

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Gregory is a good fireman and recruiter, but the jury is still out on him from and X's and O's perspective.

Nobody was complaining his first season.  Not sure how much stock you can put in this past season.

I do agree tho, this year will be telling sbout all aspects of his coaching abilities.  He seems to have the talent to at least be pretty good.

I still believe in him.

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This year could be great! Really hope the season starts on time. 

Think how sad that statement is considering we are still almost 2 months away from football.

What a weird freakin year.  Starting to believe anything can happen even a zombie apocalypse.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Think how sad that statement is considering we are still almost 2 months away from football.

What a weird freakin year.  Starting to believe anything can happen even a zombie apocalypse.

So true...we are living in the bazzaro world.  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Correct - your response is the explanation to your own question lol. They choked with the extra responsibility, in that they were unable to step their offensive games up and shoulder more of the offensive burden. They both crumbled with that burden and struggled mightly at creating their own shots, and creating shots for others, but Gregory put the ball in their hands more than anyone else without Yetna. Collectively their:

• FGA per game was flat year over year, despite having to replace Yetna's 8.5 FGA per game
  • Turnovers per game were down 5% YOY, but they were still two of the worst in the country last year in turnovers (and were worse the year before WITH Yetna)
  • Assists per game dropped 30% YOY despite not taking any more shots - for Collins it dropped 42% YOY because he never passed out of any of his drives to the basket
  • Their FG%l was down almost 2 points, but that was primarily on Rideau who dropped 3.5 points YOY

While Collins has shown the ability to take the ball to the basket, he became one dimensional and the results were wildly inconsistent (blocked shots, turnovers, fewer pass outs to open players and even led to LESS free throw attempts per game YOY), Rideau was a complete disaster offensively and couldn't generate his own shot anywhere on the court while being guarded.

So, yes they both were unable to step their game up in any reasonable offensive areas to fill ANY of the void left by Yetna. I partially blame Gregory for the isolation, take the air out of the ball offense he would run the last 10 minutes of games putting Collins and Rideau in no-win situations, but I think we have seen the best of what those two players have to offer. And where Collins is concerned I wouldn't expect any additional growth from him unless he has learned to dribble with the intent to pass and/or has developed a mid-range jumper that Gregory would actually run a set for.

Clearly neither one of them were/are the players you'd hitch your wagon in a "next man up" environment if you want to repeat as CBI Champions.

Kiir left a pretty big void as well, I doubt CBG expected for JB to play significant minutes at the 4 a week before the season started.  This year is make or break if they play.  Covid will not be an excuse for Gregory, all teams will be dealing with the disruption so the field is level and it is time for this team to show some huge improvements, I for one think they will.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

I'm thinking basketball is 50/50 at this point whats everyone else guess?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

5 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Agreed that losing Yetna and Kiir has an impact, but I was disappointed in how he would routinely get away from offensive gameplans that would work for the first 30 minutes of games (without Yetna and Kiir). They were tied or had a lead with less than 10 minutes to go in 23 of their 31 games, and were tied or had leads in the second half in 25 of their 31 games.

Gregory's offensive sets - or lack there of - in the last 10 minutes of games robbed this team, without Yetna and Kiir, a shot at 19 or 20 wins. So again, he is a good firefighter and recruiter but he chokes on offensive X's and O's late in games.

Crunch time is a different animal and the teams with the most talent prevail more often than not  down the stretch.  I was as frustrated as you with one collapse after another (FSU especially) but I am chalking it up to not having the horses. I know my opinion flys in the face of your analytics show however I have played and watched enough basketball to know they did not have enough talent in the paint to be anything more than a .500 team and this year will be different.

30 minutes ago, bcgruber said:

I'm thinking basketball is 50/50 at this point whats everyone else guess?

75/25 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

30 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Crunch time is a different animal and the teams with the most talent prevail more often than not  down the stretch.  I was as frustrated as you with one collapse after another (FSU especially) but I am chalking it up to not having the horses. I know my opinion flys in the face of your analytics show however I have played and watched enough basketball to know they did not have enough talent in the paint to be anything more than a .500 team and this year will be different.

Exactly, it's a wonder we were in many of those games with massive difference is talent

The hole left by Yetna's injury can't be stressed enough ... unless you are someone that would rather criticize a coach than look at ALL the facts

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

or the other teams played down to the competition, or we were tired because we didn't have a full rotation

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

6 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Your unbacked arguments are typically blown out the water by facts,

LOL .... The vast majority of your nonsense on Gregory is opinion with some "facts" thrown in that illustrate the what's but not the why's. The perfect illustration is this drivel about the late game collapses falling all on Gregory. Obviously the buck always stops with the head coach but if you actually watched the games, you'd have seen our players execution and the other team bearing most, not all, of the responsibility for those losses.