• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs Memphis Game Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, abochner said:

Gregory is not "adapting."  Really?  He lost the best player on his team a few days before their first game and lost his "6th man" to what certainly appeared to be a "discipline" issue.  This left him with virtually no front court.  Memphis played 10 guys.  Only one played over 30 minutes. Collins and Dawson played 38.  The game was lost largely, though not exclusively due to rebounding and fatigue.  They were plus 11 on the boards.  You don't win many games at -11 on the boards.  Coach Gregory does not make excuses.  Memphis has three Top 100 players starting for them.  We have none.  Go ahead blame it on recruiting.  But there is a reason Vitale called the Tampa job, the toughest Division 1 in college basketball.  Already the rumbling has begun.  This is what happened to Gregory at Georgia Tech.  He was building a program and they cut the rug from under him.  How did that work out?  I've been a season ticket holder for 28 years.  I've seen them come and go and Coach Gregory is far and away the best we've had.  Criticism is fair and necessary but the context counts.  Gregory set up a play at the most crucial juncture of the game for Brown and he threw up an air ball.  He did not play well in the second half.  Collins made some bad decisions, but he gave his body for the team throughout the game and without him they lose by double digits.  X did play well and they just didn't get the ball to Dawson down the stretch, who has improved dramatically since the beginning of the season.  They got the ball to Durr for a dunk on a set play and he was filed but missed the dunk (barely).  Instead of a possible 3 point play, he got one. But you also have to give credit to Memphis.  Next year we have some big bodies coming in and a legitimate top 60 guard.  Q is what we have.  He plays hard but his offensive skills are limited to say the least.  This is the most stable the basketball program has been in the last 25 years.  Coach Gregory is building a winner.  Expectations were high this year and I too am disappointed, but the team has earned far more support than they've received.  At least a third of the crowd were from Memphis.  That's pathetic.

I could only give you one Up Vote, but deserve more.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, abochner said:

Gregory is not "adapting."  Really?  He lost the best player on his team a few days before their first game and lost his "6th man" to what certainly appeared to be a "discipline" issue.  This left him with virtually no front court.  Memphis played 10 guys.  Only one played over 30 minutes. Collins and Dawson played 38.  The game was lost largely, though not exclusively due to rebounding and fatigue.  They were plus 11 on the boards.  You don't win many games at -11 on the boards.  Coach Gregory does not make excuses.  Memphis has three Top 100 players starting for them.  We have none.  Go ahead blame it on recruiting.  But there is a reason Vitale called the Tampa job, the toughest Division 1 in college basketball.  Already the rumbling has begun.  This is what happened to Gregory at Georgia Tech.  He was building a program and they cut the rug from under him.  How did that work out?  I've been a season ticket holder for 28 years.  I've seen them come and go and Coach Gregory is far and away the best we've had.  Criticism is fair and necessary but the context counts.  Gregory set up a play at the most crucial juncture of the game for Brown and he threw up an air ball.  He did not play well in the second half.  Collins made some bad decisions, but he gave his body for the team throughout the game and without him they lose by double digits.  X did play well and they just didn't get the ball to Dawson down the stretch, who has improved dramatically since the beginning of the season.  They got the ball to Durr for a dunk on a set play and he was filed but missed the dunk (barely).  Instead of a possible 3 point play, he got one. But you also have to give credit to Memphis.  Next year we have some big bodies coming in and a legitimate top 60 guard.  Q is what we have.  He plays hard but his offensive skills are limited to say the least.  This is the most stable the basketball program has been in the last 25 years.  Coach Gregory is building a winner.  Expectations were high this year and I too am disappointed, but the team has earned far more support than they've received.  At least a third of the crowd were from Memphis.  That's pathetic.

Don't think it was a discipline issue.  Heard it was more a personal issue.

Others have address the bulk of this.  I'll just say that I don't think people are calling for CBG's job.  Just holding him accountable for the offensive play calling toward the latter part of the games. And, again, if the players are ignoring him, then they need to be shown the bench for a bit.  I love the guy and think he is the long term answer.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

The losses to FSU and Memphis are squarely on his shoulders.

Only because he's the coach and ALL results are on his shoulders ..... The players crapped the bed late in both those games with bad decisions and turnovers, along with the talent on the other side rising to the top.

And if some are wanting him to reign in DC at some point during a game you may as well stop watching USF hoops until after he graduates next year .... it ain't going to, and shouldn't, happen.

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Collins is a complete disaster at the end of close games. If that doesn't change then that CBG is accountable.

Accountable to who? Is this like demanding excellence? He's going with his best player, warts and all, in crunch time ....... hopefully CBG can work on that stubbornness.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Collins is a complete disaster at the end of close games. But he wasn't last year. Maybe regressing to the mean? 

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

We should always be demanding excellence. And every now and then when you do, it happens.

Examples?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  53
  • Days Won:  1

You can cherry pick results to show nearly anything.  For example, last year USF won 7 games by 6 points or fewer, one game by a single point, and two games games by 2 points.  Collins hit a three point shot at the buzzer at SMU to win the game.  I'm not defending Collins.  He can and should make better decisions at "winning" time, but he is a gamer and he leaves it all on the court. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

4 minutes ago, abochner said:

You can cherry pick results to show nearly anything.  For example, last year USF won 7 games by 6 points or fewer, one game by a single point, and two games games by 2 points.  Collins hit a three point shot at the buzzer at SMU to win the game.  I'm not defending Collins.  He can and should make better decisions at "winning" time, but he is a gamer and he leaves it all on the court. 

And I pointed out earlier when these ridiculous gripes were first posted, that we aren't even in these games without that gritty, tenacious defense and effort that CBG coached teams bring.

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Collins is a complete disaster at the end of close games. If that doesn't change then that CBG is accountable.

Collins and the players in general are not making good decisions at end of these games.  If it keeps happening CBG may have to make adjystments.  But what better options do we have right now?

CBG is a very good coach.  Im not doubting that.  If he wasnt we wouldnt even be in these games at the end vs FSU or Memphis.

We are limited to an extent this year.  Part of the pains of building a Program, which CBG is truly doing.