• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs Memphis Game Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

What's with the half court inbound passes when being pressed ? All we had to do was find an open man and Memphis was backing off.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

You get your wager amount returned on a push.

So the betting establishment makes no money at all off bets made with that spread ...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Since  this thread is probably (I didn't read it since I wasn't in here during the game) filled with either a) "Wow, we took Memphis to the wire" and b) "we're losers" because we've lost close games to good teams lately, I'm sure it's been pointed out that the players we're currently working with are players from either xCOA's classes or CBG's first couple recruiting classes and they aren't as good as our recent opponents. For the column B people, isn't it possible we're just not that good yet and CBG is recruiting to fix some of our problems and our current roster can't just be coached out of said problems no matter how good he is? Yetna is hurt. Dawson looks to be pretty solid. I'd like to think our transfers are above average. Collins is what he is. And the current recruits are more in line with what CBG is trying to do and he's stuck right now trying to make some of our players better, but if they were actually as good as the Memphis players or had the ability to be better they likely wouldn't be with us right now based on who the coach was when they signed OR who USF was.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

17 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Since  this thread is probably (I didn't read it since I wasn't in here during the game) filled with either a) "Wow, we took Memphis to the wire" and b) "we're losers" because we've lost close games to good teams lately, I'm sure it's been pointed out that the players we're currently working with are players from either xCOA's classes or CBG's first couple recruiting classes and they aren't as good as our recent opponents. For the column B people, isn't it possible we're just not that good yet and CBG is recruiting to fix some of our problems and our current roster can't just be coached out of said problems no matter how good he is? Yetna is hurt. Dawson looks to be pretty solid. I'd like to think our transfers are above average. Collins is what he is. And the current recruits are more in line with what CBG is trying to do and he's stuck right now trying to make some of our players better, but if they were actually as good as the Memphis players or had the ability to be better they likely wouldn't be with us right now based on who the coach was when they signed OR who USF was.

COA's players, for all intents and purposes, have contributed nothing after CBG's first year and "is what he is" describes DC to a T ...... and unless something drastically changes, it's going to be more of the same for his last year. CBG has total trust in him and probably a special place in his heart because he was the first player that took the plunge committing to the cluster **** that was USF basketball at the time.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

COA's players, for all intents and purposes, have contributed nothing after CBG's first year and "is what he is" describes DC to a T ...... and unless something drastically changes, it's going to be more of the same for his last year. CBG has total trust in him and probably a special place in his heart because he was the first player that took the plunge committing to the cluster **** that was USF basketball at the time.

Collins reminds me of a guy I knew in HS/college who played some minor league baseball. He was lights out, got drafted, and did some time in the Brewers system. I met up with him a year or two after he was out of baseball and we were talking shop and he was a few beers too many in and started explaining why he washed out...couldn't hit a slider. This is maybe an outdated story based on how minor league baseball works these days, but he was leading the league in batting average after the first 1/3 of the season and then as they rotated through the same teams a second and third time, the scouting report on him was that he couldn't hit any kind of breaking ball on the outer half. From that point on, that's all he saw. Didn't even matter if the opposing pitcher had a slider or a decent breaking ball, he was going to see it. He shook his head and said he hit in the cage and from anyone who would throw BP to him and he just couldn't do it... game over. It was a skill that no matter how much work he put in, no matter how much coaching was given, he was not able to do it. It wasn't a failure of any coach, wasn't for lack of effort, he just wasn't good enough to get out of A ball. That was the end of the road for him.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

This was truly a wasted opportunity tonight.  I love me some CBG but I have to agree with brybull that this late game offense is just a mistake.  How many times did DC drive the ball off a pick by Durr and end up trying to shoot (throw) over a kid 10" taller than him.  And Q's shots tonight were just awful.  With all the bricks he put up tonight you could rebuild the Berlin wall.  

Guest Jonesy Bull
11 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

This was truly a wasted opportunity tonight.  I love me some CBG but I have to agree with brybull that this late game offense is just a mistake.  How many times did DC drive the ball off a pick by Durr and end up trying to shoot (throw) over a kid 10" taller than him.  And Q's shots tonight were just awful.  With all the bricks he put up tonight you could rebuild the Berlin wall.  

Its an interesting point.  I think it falls more on the players not executing what they have been asked to execute by CBG.  Also we probably are lacking a little bit in talent to pull off what is being asked.  But even though I too love me some CBG.  At least a little bit of the blame has to fall on CBG.  Maybe he is not always putting the players in the best positions to be successful late in games.  I still think he is a great coach and will adjust as needed.  Once we get completely healthy and more talented (next year hopefully), we should be able to win alot of these "missed opportunities".

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

58 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I agree with this. The team is able to generate double digit, second half leads against quality competition through various ways of scoring, and then in the last 10 minutes of games the offense becomes one dimensional. Gregory needs to continue to run off-ball screens to free up shooters or run back screens to get easy baskets. Right now at the end of games, its watching Collins fumble the ball all over the place while the other 4  watch.

If players are disregarding the plays he is calling then they need to sit the bench for a bit, and if they are simply running the offense being called (which is more likely the case) then that's on Gregory. The losses to FSU and Memphis are squarely on his shoulders.

This is NOT a fire Gregory post - quite the contrary. He is our guy, but even he needs to learn and adapt.

Totally agree.  Not like we're going dancing this year.  So if you need to pull Collins after 3 unsuccessful drives to the basket then yank him for a minute or two.  Call some other plays not involving that high screen thing and get other guys involved.  I realize we don't have a lot of offensive choices but, as you said, we got those leads doing other things.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

I guess it's his fault that he didn't recruit a better PG and didn't make sure Yetna stayed healthy at practice .....  I doubt he's calling a dribble into 3 guys and fall down play, but could be wrong.