• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would Leavitt be the best coach in AAC?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I don’t get this whole locality thing, I could give a rats ass if a coach is loyal, I want a coach that wins.

Shortsighted...any rental coach that wins is gone.  You guys don't look down the road.  For example, we get one of the Clemson twins - likely the least successful one.  We give him a 5 year deal.  We wait 2-4 years for him to recruit his guys and find signs of success and then he bolts just like Willie did.   He strips our staff to build his new staff and then we're out looking again.  We get a whole new staff in place and need time to recruit the new guy's guys again.  The odds for long term success doing that are not good.  Look at the National Champs to the East, they are beginning their fade already.

You can't simply put this in shampoo mode and expect ever to build a consistent performer.  Players are here for four years in most cases....the only consistency is the coaching staff.  We need that.  

2 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

I agree whole heartedly.  I couldn't care less about loyalty. I respect CWT for what he did. He kept his word, he got us up, dusted us off, put a fresh coat of paint on, and drove us to the car show. Then sold us for a seemingly nicer vehicle. That he in turn sold for his dream car. That dream car didn't age well and broke down right in front of the dealership that housed us. (I started the analogy and couldn't stop) 

So why do you want to repeat that?

Every trade-in is a risk.  Who wants to go through that every three to five years?  That's just short term thinking.  And not program thinking.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,345
  • Days Won:  43

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Shortsighted...any rental coach that wins is gone.  You guys don't look down the road.  For example, we get one of the Clemson twins - likely the least successful one.  We give him a 5 year deal.  We wait 2-4 years for him to recruit his guys and find signs of success and then he bolts just like Willie did.   He strips our staff to build his new staff and then we're out looking again.  We get a whole new staff in place and need time to recruit the new guy's guys again.  The odds for long term success doing that are not good.  Look at the National Champs to the East, they are beginning their fade already.

You can't simply put this in shampoo mode and expect ever to build a consistent performer.

I agree. Why even bother playing the bowl game when the coach bolts right before it? Wish they had a clause that makes that coach stay for the bowl game even if they get that P5 job. Memphis will be getting their tails kicked in the Cotton Bowl now that their leader left for FSU. 

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

Accomplishments is a pretty straightforward thing to compare, too.

Conference championships and/or division titles EVER: all the coaches > xCJL

Wins since the iPad was invented: all the coaches > xCJL

But I'm going to cross my fingers that when Leavitt and Holgorsen go into some kid's living room on a recruiting trip, the kid thinks, "Holgorsen has been on a downward slide lately and Leavitt won the International Bowl back when I was in 2nd grade. Go Bulls!"

You must not be a salesman, or you missed a great part of Leavitt's tenure here.  

Conference championships?  :roflmao:   That's stacks up right there with the International Bowl.  For more recruits and their families will remember when USF Football was relevant than whether it had ever won the AAC or Big East.  65,000 in RJS, beating FSU in Tallahassee, beating Auburn at Auburn - yeah people know more about that then who won the AAC.....I couldn't even tell you that.

Remember, none of the rental coach candidates have a track record winning anything on their own.

You're suggesting we go find a steady FCS HC that has won conference crowns?  Lane Kiffin is gone!   

1 hour ago, USFRaider said:

And to answer the question of the thread, Leavitt would NOT be the best coach in the AAC.  He is a man with no trophies as a head coach.  Case closed.

Then neither would our HC be the best if it's a P5 assistant that never won anything a a HC.  So, we're even there.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

You must not be a salesman, or you missed a great part of Leavitt's tenure here.  

What he did was amazing. It will always be amazing. He should have a statue and that Popemobile Trip posted a picture of. He should be able to wear a cape and a crown and wander around campus making kids kiss his ring...forever. I want all of those things to happen.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

41 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

I agree. Why even bother playing the bowl game when the coach bolts right before it? Wish they had a clause that makes that coach stay for the bowl game even if they get that P5 job. Memphis will be getting their tails kicked in the Cotton Bowl now that their leader left for FSU. 

Not if they play Utah