• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

You Don't Ever Give Up On A Game

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  3

15 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

remember when the o-line was terrible our first 2 years under Taggart and then magically we had a top 5 offense with a line that rarely gave up sacks and were great run blockers. They weren't different linemen. We were running a different scheme. one was a prostyle offense with man blocking schemes and the other a read option with zone blocking

they are trying to run a pro-style offense with man blocking schemes again. quote before the season

“But then when we want to drop back and throw the football, we do it on a professional level,” Bell said at his introductory news conference in January. “I’ve always said that, to me, that’s where we separate ourselves from everybody else. A lot of spread teams, I don’t think, can drop back and throw the football on an NFL-type, professional-type level. And that’s what we will bring to the table.”

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2019/08/28/what-will-usfs-offense-look-like-under-kerwin-bell/

Hmmm good point.  I'm fine with a vision but maybe you work with what you have until you can get to that point. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

This seems to be a recurring theme in coaching ranks. New coaches come in with their system unwilling to make any adjustments to what they have on the roster. Taggart, Gilbert, Bell....they all just came in with their "system" assuming they would have all the time in the world to implement it. 

Chad Morris just got fired for basically the same thing. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-football-5-biggest-mistakes-chad-morris-has-made-since-arriving/

Morris inherited a roster that didn’t fit with his system. It needed to be overhauled and that takes time.

Morris could have helped the process, however, by adjusting better to what he had.

He still hasn’t found a quarterback, which is the key to his system.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, usf97 said:

This seems to be a recurring theme in coaching ranks. New coaches come in with their system unwilling to make any adjustments to what they have on the roster. Taggart, Gilbert, Bell....they all just came in with their "system" assuming they would have all the time in the world to implement it. 

Chad Morris just got fired for basically the same thing. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-football-5-biggest-mistakes-chad-morris-has-made-since-arriving/

Morris inherited a roster that didn’t fit with his system. It needed to be overhauled and that takes time.

Morris could have helped the process, however, by adjusting better to what he had.

He still hasn’t found a quarterback, which is the key to his system.

that really falls on the athletic directors and those that do the hiring.

hire someone that fits what you have if you are not going to give them time to build. I agree though that if a coach takes a job then he needs to adapt his system to what's in place.

Part of the reason the strong hire was  bad  was that he was a complete 180 in philosophy with Taggart and what he built. you knew we were in trouble when he said he was going to slow down our offense

UCF has sustained some success because  they brought in a guy that was similar to the one that left.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

15 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

hire someone that fits what you have if you are not going to give them time to build. I agree though that if a coach takes a job then he needs to adapt his system to what's in place.

Part of the reason the strong hire was  bad  was that he was a complete 180 in philosophy with Taggart and what he built. you knew we were in trouble when he said he was going to slow down our offense

UCF has sustained some success because  they brought in a guy that was similar to the one that left.

Excellent point. The problem is the coach but the real problem is the person who hired the bad coach. MK better not screw this up. Got t ask the right questions during an inteview rather than just say "sign the contract please."

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

25 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

It’s all about knowing your identity and committing to it.  Something we haven’t done.

8 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

It’s all about knowing your identity and committing to it.  Something we haven’t done.

absolutely.

knowing what type of student/athletes we can attract (ie Wisconsin gets big o-linemen) and how best to utilize them.

we get undersized athletic QBs that other schools recruit to play different positions. perfect for RPO or read option with pass spread offenses.

Not very good for drop back prostyle offense

23 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Excellent point. The problem is the coach but the real problem is the person who hired the bad coach. MK better not screw this up. Got t ask the right questions during an inteview rather than just say "sign the contract please."

for sure. I couldn't care less if they make a "splash" hire that the media loves. I want them to make the right hire.

we are best suited to run spread style offense with zone blocking and athletic QBs that can run/pass. even if they are a better runner than passer

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

for sure. I couldn't care less if they make a "splash" hire that the media loves. I want them to make the right hire.

we are best suited to run spread style offense with zone blocking and athletic QBs that can run/pass. even if they are a better runner than passer

Absolutely for your last point this should be the first, second, and third questions asked. Spread offense with a running QB is our salvation. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

I guess to them it means “you don’t ever give up on an offensive scheme” even when it’s obvious that it will not be successful enough to win the game.  
At least that’s what it looks like from the stands.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I suspect that when most of these AD's and search firms make a hire.....all they are doing is reading the news and looking at the next splash hire. 

I doubt they are actually looking into who is actually doing the play calling or who did the recruiting. I recall it took a while of digging into CCS to really figure out why he had so much success at Louisville and realize that he was doomed to failure once he lost Clint Hurtt.