• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stadium on Campus

Guest Ken

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Nope... look in the hall of fame ... the longest thread ever is there... and it is like 300 pages long.

Yeah and this thread only has half as many boobs as that one....

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

i believe it is on campus technically.  I believe all that land east of it is too, but is protected.

The possible "ideal" facility would be east of the golf course.  I think you are right.  I'd wager that that property is some sort of protected wetland that can't be touched.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I know that there have been controlled burn studies out on that land... that is where i get the idea that it is protected.

I know that there have been controlled burn studies out on that land... that is where i get the idea that it is protected.

I'd also bet that due to its proximity to the river, that it is some sort of watershed area as well.  

Maybe we can have a "controlled burn" of our own.  Oops, the land is now clear.  

The possible "ideal" facility would be east of the golf course.  I think you are right.  I'd wager that that property is some sort of protected wetland that can't be touched.

First, the area between the golf course and Riverfront Park is owned by the state and is part of the University of South Florida's Tampa campus.

Second, most of the property is designated as wetlands.

Third, wetlands can be developed, but there are requirements for what is called "mitigation." The State of Florida has one set of requirements and Hillsborough County is one of the few local governments that has its own set of requirements.  Basically, for every acre of wetlands that you fill for development, you have to create an acre of wetlands somewhere relatively close by.

Finally, if you go to the 4th floor of the Library and look at the original plans for the campus -- from back in the 1950s -- you can see that the master plan was to have the center of campus at what is basically the intersection of Fletcher and 50th.  However, since the 1950s, environmental sensitivities have developed that make it more difficult to develop the wetland areas.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

lets look at that #...

it would cost 100mill (by your estimate above) to make...

the stadium would be used for a long long time... 50? 100 years? more?

so that cost could be spread out over that time... 1-2 million a year (yes, there is interest etc.)

How much do we LOSE on parking and concessions now to the Glazers/TSA?

how many cars are parked at 7$ a car? If there are 35000 fans... and 5 per car (overestimate)... that is 49000 per game in parking fees.

how many beers are consumed at 7$ per beer?

35000, lets say 1/3 drink 2 beers...  24000 beers @ 7$

that is $168000 in beer sales PER GAME and that isn't including

hot dogs, fries, chicken, etc etc...

There is a lot of money that could be made that we are missing out on... and its not like the 100mill you mention would be a 1 year cost... it is spread out over the life of the stadium.

I don't think the cost is that big of a deal.  I'm sure there is plenty i'm not taking into consideration and i'm sure the #'s above have many flaws... but the point still stands.  We can and will afford this at some point down the road.

Velcro...ask DarkDan on the UCF Board for stadium finance info.

He did a great breakdown several years ago which helped get our on-campus stadium idea rolling (he even PAID for his own ads in the school newspaper!).

That general info...plus the situation with the City of Orlando & Citrus Bowl (told UCF to vacate for '05 and '06 because they were going to "upgrade" the Citrus Bowl) forced UCF into the situation we are today.

Just ask him...I'm sure he will be happy to send it to you.

KL

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

He did a great breakdown several years ago which helped get our on-campus stadium idea rolling (he even PAID for his own ads in the school newspaper!).

thats an awesome idea.  how did you guys make enough noise to get the ball rolling on that sort of thing?  USF and UCF are both very similar institutions, so whatever worked for you guys may very well work for us

thats an awesome idea.  how did you guys make enough noise to get the ball rolling on that sort of thing?  USF and UCF are both very similar institutions, so whatever worked for you guys may very well work for us

attaboy, cee.  great idea to see how someone else got it going.  keep diggin.  like i told you, it is proven that grassroots efforts can succeed.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

thanks KL...

I really am not pushing for a stadium right now...that is why I put almost zero effort into those #'s.  I just think that one day it will happen... and the whole glazer/tsa bullchit just makes me want it sooner than later, even though sooner isn't realistic.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

how did you guys make enough noise to get the ball rolling on that sort of thing?

the situation with the City of Orlando & Citrus Bowl (told UCF to vacate for '05 and '06 because they were going to "upgrade" the Citrus Bowl) forced UCF into the situation we are today.