• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF getting 'close' to CFP is good for AAC and USF

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/30/2018 at 8:40 PM, Guest said:

USF will not play a bowl game in Tampa.

Oh so close with that prediction.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

On 11/30/2018 at 8:40 PM, Guest said:

USF will not play a bowl game in Tampa.

No... it is absolutely not a zero sum game.  Look at the people who have criticized UCF despite two undefeated seasons in a row.  When USF does that in the future, people will criticize the strength of schedule.  No one questions the strength of WVU's schedule because they feel the Big 12 is better than the AAC.  Image. Is. Everything.  The Mountain West benefitted from Boise State to the point that Utah was invited to the Pac 12.  A rising tide lifts all boats.

If you want a Tweet from a Big 12 official about taking USF and UCF together, it doesn't exist.  The media - especially those from ESPN - have illustrated why it is a good idea.  That said, when the Pac 12 kicked this whole thing off, they wanted a "package deal" with four teams. 

The AAC is already ahead of the rest of the G5.... yes, a long ways behind the P5.  However, the changes in cable are going to reduce the P5 next time around.  There is even talk the Big Ten Network might fold.

If you stacked up UCF and USF today for "market differentiation" you would see that UCF is ahead of USF in nearly every meaningful measure.  USF has a bigger TV market (13) than UCF (19)... I don't know any other market measure that would give USF the edge... In short, USF needs UCF a lot more than UCF needs USF. 

Quite frankly UCF is not going to suddenly turn into U Conn or ECU.  Florida has too much high school talent for the Knights to be down for long.  Look at USF ... even Skip Holtz could not bury USF forever.

USF fans need to stop deluding themselves thinking this school can do anything on it's own.  Dan Mullen is right - first you sell out, then you win championships.  Nebraska had their worst season in modern history -- and sold out every game.

The lack of fan support is destroying the program.

Not a very good start to the prognostications but sure let’s keep hoping UCF winning will somehow strengthen us even if that’s far less likely than USF not playing a bowl game in Tampa.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,470
  • Days Won:  13

57 minutes ago, Knight_Light said:

Oh so close with that prediction.

50 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Not a very good start to the prognostications but sure let’s keep hoping UCF winning will somehow strengthen us even if that’s far less likely than USF not playing a bowl game in Tampa.

It was my post... but not my prediction.  Joey Knight said it first... USF admin absolutely did not want to play in Tampa... and if they had any pull at all with the AAC it would not have happened.

When ESPN pulled their shenanigans and took away an ACC Team and replaced it with Marshall, ESPN knew they needed to sell tickets and USF was their only choice.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

It was my post... but not my prediction.  Joey Knight said it first... USF admin absolutely did not want to play in Tampa... and if they had any pull at all with the AAC it would not have happened.

When ESPN pulled their shenanigans and took away an ACC Team and replaced it with Marshall, ESPN knew they needed to sell tickets and USF was their only choice.

And yet you think USF’s future can be salvaged by pipe dreams built on looser predictions than this one. The world is ever shifting and if you don’t put your future in your hands it can take nasty turns on you. The only good thing UCF could do for USF is to curl up and die. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

On 12/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, Jim Johnson said:

This says a lot right here.  According to this statement we have gone from being a BCS program to not even having enough pull to avoid playing our bowl game in our home rented stadium in this cut rate conference in the "B" Division of the FBS.