• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF getting 'close' to CFP is good for AAC and USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On 11/30/2018 at 9:08 AM, JimUSFSig said:

Well, you have to give a crap about the AAC. Every USF fan has to give a crap. Maybe 2.

The better our perception... the closer we get to the "Power 6" hype... the better the next TV contract will be (and more $$ for USF).

Plus, no matter how much we hate them... the nation views USF/UCF as a pair now for the inevitable expansion that will be coming in a handful of years. 

That's all the Power 6 **** is...hype.

And as my man Chuck D said...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

29 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

Something can be good without being a reason to cheer.

This honestly feels good to you? At what point would they have enough wins on a row where you pause for a second and say you know what this may be damaging? Clearly 20 something isn’t the number, does it have to be the NCAA record of all time? This is bad. It can’t be more painfully obviously bad. 

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

13 hours ago, JTrue said:

That's all the Power 6 **** is...hype.

And as my man Chuck D said...

Don't believe it

14 hours ago, puc86 said:

This honestly feels good to you? At what point would they have enough wins on a row where you pause for a second and say you know what this may be damaging? Clearly 20 something isn’t the number, does it have to be the NCAA record of all time? This is bad. It can’t be more painfully obviously bad. 

What part of "a rising tide lifts all boats" are you missing?  This is not a zero sum game.

Which is better? Michigan-Ohio State or Michigan-Indiana? Alabama-Auburn or Alabama-Ole Miss? Texas - Oklahoma or Texas - Baylor?

USF - Cincy or USF - U Conn just ain't gonna cut it.

What is "damaging" about UCF winning 25 in a row? Are you afraid there is one and only one ticket out of the AAC in the next round of expansion? (There will be two to four) Are you afraid UCF will get better recruits? (This is Florida, plenty of talent to go around).

7 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

What part of "a rising tide lifts all boats" are you missing?  This is not a zero sum game.

Which is better? Michigan-Ohio State or Michigan-Indiana? Alabama-Auburn or Alabama-Ole Miss? Texas - Oklahoma or Texas - Baylor?

USF - Cincy or USF - U Conn just ain't gonna cut it.

What is "damaging" about UCF winning 25 in a row? Are you afraid there is one and only one ticket out of the AAC in the next round of expansion? (There will be two to four) Are you afraid UCF will get better recruits? (This is Florida, plenty of talent to go around).

The part where anyone else rising has ever resulted in the rising of their nearest competitors for resources. UF’s success typically come as a cost to FSU, Alabama’s success comes at a cost to Auburn, Clemson’s success comes at a cost to South Carolina. There are no inter team teams in college football we are directly competing with one another and it most certainly is a zero sum game as there are only so many dollars, so many top recruits and so many power conference spots. We need to be in the best position as possible and that involves us succeeding as well as others failing. No amount of singing kumbaya around the campfire will change that their success comes at our expense.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The part where anyone else rising has ever resulted in the rising of their nearest competitors for resources. UF’s success typically come as a cost to FSU, Alabama’s success comes at a cost to Auburn, Clemson’s success comes at a cost to South Carolina. There are no inter team teams in college football we are directly competing with one another and it most certainly is a zero sum game as there are only so many dollars, so many top recruits and so many power conference spots. We need to be in the best position as possible and that involves us succeeding as well as others failing. No amount of singing kumbaya around the campfire will change that their success comes at our expense.

Ah... I see there error of your ways.

Resources are not finite -- there is always more money. There are more top recruits than teams can take.  There will be more than power conference spots than you expect. Hence, it is not a zero sum game.

People looking to donate money are not going to choose UCF over USF or vice versa. 

Yes, USF needs to be the first on the list... we are probably fifth or sixth right now, with a LOOOOONG way to go.... So far to go that we might not get there in time... what's wrong with a little help.

Just now, JimUSFSig said:

Ah... I see there error of your ways.

Resources are not finite -- there is always more money. There are more top recruits than teams can take.  There will be more than power conference spots than you expect. Hence, it is not a zero sum game.

People looking to donate money are not going to choose UCF over USF or vice versa. 

Yes, USF needs to be the first on the list... we are probably fifth or sixth right now, with a LOOOOONG way to go.... So far to go that we might not get there in time... what's wrong with a little help.

The resources are the definition of limited. The problem with the little help idea is there is not one shred of evidence that anyone else succeeding is of any help to us. If someone succeeds it takes away a limited spot that we are unsure of how many exists. The single worst filler of one of those spots is UCF because they are who we most likely resemble and competing most directly with. If there are two spots why would we want another team most likely taking half of them and how would it be of any benefit to our chances if that school taking that spot is the team we most likely resemble?

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The resources are the definition of limited. The problem with the little help idea is there is not one shred of evidence that anyone else succeeding is of any help to us. If someone succeeds it takes away a limited spot that we are unsure of how many exists. The single worst filler of one of those spots is UCF because they are who we most likely resemble and competing most directly with. If there are two spots why would we want another team most likely taking half of them and how would it be of any benefit to our chances if that school taking that spot is the team we most likely resemble?

There will be more than two spots...

Conferences make the decision based on markets ... and let's not forget we're a long way from the Big 12 -- Olympic sports like to have travel partners.

It's clear you and I will disagree... and there is no way to say for certain who is right or wrong for five or six years.

One thing I am fairly certain ... the next AAC TV contract WILL be significantly more than we have now... Not P5 level, for sure, but because of things like Houston beating Oklahoma and FSU and UCF's streak... and USF's rebound under Taggart... has shown the nation that AAC's top football programs are worth watching.

If it was just USF and some also-rans... well... we might as well go back to C-USA.

56 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

There will be more than two spots...

Conferences make the decision based on markets ... and let's not forget we're a long way from the Big 12 -- Olympic sports like to have travel partners.

It's clear you and I will disagree... and there is no way to say for certain who is right or wrong for five or six years.

One thing I am fairly certain ... the next AAC TV contract WILL be significantly more than we have now... Not P5 level, for sure, but because of things like Houston beating Oklahoma and FSU and UCF's streak... and USF's rebound under Taggart... has shown the nation that AAC's top football programs are worth watching.

If it was just USF and some also-rans... well... we might as well go back to C-USA.

We didn’t have to go to conference USA we brought conference USA to us. One thing is for sure no network is going to be clamoring to overpay for our rights and i wouldn’t expect much of a raise. I get that you aren’t hopefully enough for our own chances so you want to hitch our wagon to a program you feel is better situated. Sadly I don’t see any evidence that anyone will advance our chances at advancement other than us and no one has presented anything that resembles any evidence to the contrary. As other teams winning doesn’t on its face to be in our self interest the burden of proof falls on those that want us to believe things typically considered contrary to our self interest are in fact good for us, however no one had come close to presenting a convincing argument (just fairytales and wishful thinking).

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, JimUSFSig said:

I'm far less optimistic.  Look, eyes need to be watching the games and if every team sucked apathy would be death.  So you're right in the sense that there's potentially some benefit to the whole conference that UCF is doing well.  But the flip side to that argument is that ESPN already owns everything it needs.  There's no really no fear that the AAC would leave ESPN for another station because no one has the resources and megaphone that ESPN has when it comes to sports.

The AAC already gets disrespected, and it's a product ESPN sells.  My guess is it won't even get discussed if it leaves ESPN. 

So UCF doing well or not, my bet is the conference gets a marginal 'cost of living bump' and that's about it.  There's just no reason for a big bump when ESPN already has us and the leverage.  And if you think about it that way, then UCF doing good just makes it harder for USF to recuit.