• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This game could be my breaking point for this coaching staff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Cincy is very stout against the run.  No team has been able to get anything going on the ground against them, hell they even shutout navy.  Clearly their biggest strength is stopping the run.  Their pass defense is nothing to sneeze at either, but my point is if we come out the same way we have every other game and try to just HB Dive at them on first downs and short yardage situations, the little hope I have left of this coaching staff will go out the window.

I get it.  They're 17-4 here, and we replaced a lot from last year.  Plus the defense has been very bad.  But there is a fine line between commitment and stubbornness.  One of them eventually produces positive results; the other gets you fired.  

Please, coach!  Show me/us that we have the ability to go into a game prepared and with a solid gameplan!  We obviously cant just athlete our way to a win anymore

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

I really want nothing more than this staff to succeed. I like Strong but I want more proof that he can win against good teams. The only shake ups I want to see are OC  and special teams coach. With this game though I really think it’s going to be “oh, you’ve got good run defense? Let’s see how you do against Cronk and Ford.” I’m not opposed to trying to attack that but we need more creativity and Oline needs to step up for once this season. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,400
  • Days Won:  25

33 minutes ago, feardabull said:

Cincy is very stout against the run.  No team has been able to get anything going on the ground against them, hell they even shutout navy.  Clearly their biggest strength is stopping the run.  Their pass defense is nothing to sneeze at either, but my point is if we come out the same way we have every other game and try to just HB Dive at them on first downs and short yardage situations, the little hope I have left of this coaching staff will go out the window.

I get it.  They're 17-4 here, and we replaced a lot from last year.  Plus the defense has been very bad.  But there is a fine line between commitment and stubbornness.  One of them eventually produces positive results; the other gets you fired.  

Please, coach!  Show me/us that we have the ability to go into a game prepared and with a solid gameplan!  We obviously cant just athlete our way to a win anymore

Please prove us wrong STEPHEN GILBERT!!!!!

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

I want this staff to succeed very much, too.  I’ve also been thinking about our problems on defense, too.  Have you ever noticed how much better and more effective a defense can become when the offense gives them a reason to?  We need to score points today and not have 3 and outs.  I do believe that our typical offensive playbook of late will translate to 3rd and longs that we fail to convert.  Please open it up.  We have nothing to lose, so there is no argument for playing not to lose.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

This game will be very tough for offense unless Gilbert finds some serious creativity 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

This game will be very tough for offense unless Gilbert finds some serious creativity 

In other words, this game will definitely be very tough for our offense.

Remember last year, throughout the season people on this board thought we were saving something....not showing the whole playbook. Turned out that wasn't the case. We have what looks like a very simple playbook that we won't deviate from.

Just now, USFBulls727 said:

In other words, this game will definitely be very tough for our offense.

Remember last year, throughout the season people on this board thought we were saving something....not showing the whole playbook. Turned out that wasn't the case. We have what looks like a very simple playbook that we won't deviate from.

That happened this season as well until after the Houston game. There was never a “saving the playbook.” The playbook has been what we’ve seen and there’s more vanilla in it than a froyo shop.  Strong brought in Gilbert to save his job at Texas and we all know how that worked out. Not really sure what the thinking was with bringing him here. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

That happened this season as well until after the Houston game. There was never a “saving the playbook.” The playbook has been what we’ve seen and there’s more vanilla in it than a froyo shop.  Strong brought in Gilbert to save his job at Texas and we all know how that worked out. Not really sure what the thinking was with bringing him here. 

Gilbert's play-calling was identical whether it was QF or BB at Quarterback. He doesn't play-call according to any one player's strength. He does the exact same thing regardless of personnel. Last year, he ran the dive play as usual vs. Houston, regardless of the fact that Ed Oliver was there. No thought of any runs to the outside. Whether it's UConn or Bama, he's going to do what he does. Hopefully we have an improved OL in 2019 and maybe this will all pay off, but it will be rough the rest of the way this year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  168
  • Days Won:  0

Take a look at our leadership. How many Jr.s and Sr.s started last year? I didn't expect much this year but if they play the whole game, I will be happy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, keith S said:

Take a look at our leadership. How many Jr.s and Sr.s started last year? I didn't expect much this year but if they play the whole game, I will be happy.

A lot. But we still have quite a few who could step up this year as well.