• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joining P5 vs Being P6

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Capital H said:

What does this even mean?

It means once they have invested more into us then it will be in their best business interest to promote us more than currently.  Right now they don't need to do any promotions because the product is selling itself and is profitable relative to their minimal investment.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

5 hours ago, Triple B said:

Try alien abduction. You'll find a lot larger support group out there ...

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

I don’t think that would bring me too much hope.

More hope than us joining a P5 .... plus a lot more entertaining.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

11 hours ago, ECUshoein said:

It means once they have invested more into us then it will be in their best business interest to promote us more than currently.  Right now they don't need to do any promotions because the product is selling itself and is profitable relative to their minimal investment.  

I'm curious as to why ESPN, CBS, or any other media entity would invest more into the Group of 5 at this point?

Or are you speaking college football in general?

Either way, these companies invest in games that people watch. Can you guess what games people watch?

I will give you a hint, its not the GO5:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/748033/college-football-tv-ratings/

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

45 minutes ago, Capital H said:

I'm curious as to why ESPN, CBS, or any other media entity would invest more into the Group of 5 at this point?

Or are you speaking college football in general?

Either way, these companies invest in games that people watch. Can you guess what games people watch?

I will give you a hint, its not the GO5:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/748033/college-football-tv-ratings/

And it's not over half of the P5 either.

Out of the 65 highest rated games in 2017-2018, this how many times these teams were part of it:

Alabama 7, Auburn 4, Georgia 6, Ohio St 8, Michigan 8, Penn State 5, USC 4, Notre Dame 4, Clemson 5, Texas 6, USF 2

USF v. UCF was 31st and USF v. Texas Tech was 65th

• Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

10 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

And it's not over half of the P5 either.

That's irrelevant.  They're probably not kicking teams out (maybe the newbies like Rutgers, Louisville, Utah).  The conferences are formed, the traditions are there, they bring what they bring to the table.  Under the current set up there will be little to no change.  Maybe add a few teams (and/or subtract a few) if it enhances the TV deals when it's time.   There won't be a P6 unless there is a major shake up to the system

Edited by chapelbull

14 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

That's irrelevant.  They're probably not kicking teams out (maybe the newbies like Rutgers, Louisville, Utah).  The conferences are formed, the traditions are there, they bring what they bring to the table.  Under the current set up there will be little to no change.  Maybe add a few teams (and/or subtract a few) if it enhances the TV deals when it's time.   There won't be a P6 unless there is a major shake up to the system

I was just pointing out that there are a handful of teams that support the rest of the P5

• Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

41 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I was just pointing out that there are a handful of teams that support the rest of the P5

Gotcha

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

Agreed that individual teams are very likely cyclical (except Alabama because they are the devil).

But regardless of the team names, the conferences tend to stay the same.

IE Georgia would be interchangeable with UF

tOSU with Michigan

etc...

15 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Agreed that individual teams are very likely cyclical (except Alabama because they are the devil).

But regardless of the team names, the conferences tend to stay the same.

IE Georgia would be interchangeable with UF

tOSU with Michigan

etc...

I agree, here are the ones that carry each conference IMO (in football):

ACC - FSU, Miami, Clemson, VaTech, Notre Dame*

B1G - tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State

Big 12 - Oklahoma, Texas

Pac12 - USC, Stanford, Oregon

SEC - Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee**

*Notre Dame plays half of an ACC schedule

**When they are successful

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,726
  • Days Won:  0

Headline: "ESPN’s College Football Playoff Eliminator has declared that all but 46 teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision have no chance to make the Playoff." (Link is below)

Ok, I surrender. There is no P6. I'm disgusted, however, by the farce that somehow a team like Maryland is still on this list, yet "it's not looking good" for any undefeated G5 teams. That's not surprising to me (I understand the deck is stacked against our conference and I get all the reasons why), but the blatant attitude of "screw you and the ugly G5 horse you rode in on" pisses me off. The invisible ceiling is looking more and more like a solid iron curtain... I know, I know, it was a solid barrier as soon as P5/G5 was invented. {sigh}

https://caneswarning.com/2018/09/26/miami-hurricanes-one-46-fbs-teams-still-alive-cfp-per-espn/amp/

“So a few ground rules: Every Group of 5 team with a loss is eliminated. That includes an independent like BYU. After the CFP selection committee speaks on Oct. 30, we’ll see about any remaining Group of 5 unbeatens. For now, let’s just say it doesn’t look good.

Every Power 5 team with one loss or fewer is still alive. Even the aforementioned Hokies. And Maryland, which lost to Temple. And Texas and Minnesota, which lost to Maryland. You get the point….A single two-loss team has escaped elimination.”