• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Positional Breakdown - Defensive Line

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

As the season approaches I felt it would be helpful to do a positional breakdown of the roster, looking at the potential starters and those who might be ready to breakout. To start, let's take a look at the Defensive Line. For the purposes of the starters, I am going to rely on the post-spring 2 deep, with the exception being positions where there have been reports of change to the depth chart (QB and PK for instance). 

DEFENSIVE END (11):

Starters: Greg Reaves - JR, Juwaun Brown - SR 

Second String - Josh Black - SR, Kirk Livingstone - JR

In the Mix - Vincent Jackson, SR, Marquies Price - JR, Jabreel Stephens - RS FR, Darrien Grant - RS FR

Reserves- Rashawn Yates - FR, Trey Laing - FR, Stacy Kirby, Jr. - FR (All likely to redshirt) 

Thoughts: The top five of Reaves, Brown, Black,  Livingstone, and Jackson are solid. Reaves emerged last year as a force and will need some help on the other side of the line to get pressure on the QB. It will be interesting to see if Marquis Price can work his way into the rotation. He played as a freshman and started as a sophomore at Duke before using his redshirt season in 2017 as a transfer after being dismissed from the program for "failing to meet expectations". I haven't heard his name mentioned that much, but he has two years of eligibility remaining. Jabreel Stephens was a 2017 signee that redshirted. He flipped from Louisville to USF late in the game and played H.S. ball at Armwood. I am hoping that he gets to see the field as I think he has the makings of a special player. Darrien Grant rounds out the players that could possibly see the field this season. 

Overall, I think we will be fine at the DE position. We have 7 or 8 guys who can go out there and play at a high level, so I am not too concerned. Also, looking to the future, We lose 3 of our top 8, but will return 5 guys with experience for 2019, as well as the 3 freshman from this season. 

DEFENSIVE TACKLE (9)

Starters: Kevin Bronson - SR, Kelvin Kegler - SO

Second String - Kelvin Pinkney, Jr. - SO, Brandon Boyce - JR

In the Mix - Blake Green - SO, Devin Leacock - FR, John Waller - FR

Reserves - Armon Williams - FR, Tyrone Barber - FR

Thoughts: The departures of Bruce Hector and Deadrin Senat would normally be impossible to fill, but the coaching staff did a great job getting the Kelvins (Kegler and Pinkney, Jr.) significant playing time. Kevin Bronson adds the most experience. I imagine that Duke transfer Brandon Boyce will be on the 2-deep as well. He started as a freshman at Duke before finding himself in Cutcliffe's doghouse before ultimately transferring and using his RS in 2017 like Marquies Price. I haven't heard much about him aside from the fact that he recorded a sack in the latest scrimmage, but the Bulls brought in Blake Green, a junior transfer from Northwest Missouri State who is eligible to play this season. This is not a terribly deep position for the Bulls. Because of Hector and Senat's durability, we were able to get away with a 5 man rotation in 2017. I suspect we will try to do the same this year, although John Waller and Devin Leacock are physically ready to play and may find themselves playing as true freshman. 

Overall, I think we will be stout in the middle again. We know what we are getting with Kevin and the Kelvins. Assuming Boyce doesn't have a lot of rust and either Green, Leacock, and Waller are able to contribute, this should continue to be a position of strength for the Bulls. Looking into the future, we will be well positioned for 2019 and beyond. 

Edited by BullyPulpit
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

As the season approaches I felt it would be helpful to do a positional breakdown of the roster, looking at the potential starters and those who might be ready to breakout. To start, let's take a look at the Defensive Line. For the purposes of the starters, I am going to rely on the post-spring 2 deep, with the exception being positions where there have been reports of change to the depth chart (QB and PK for instance). 

DEFENSIVE END (11):

Starters: Greg Reaves - JR, Juwaun Brown - SR 

Second String - Josh Black - SR, Kirk Livingstone - JR

In the Mix - Vincent Jackson, SR, Marquies Price - JR, Jabreel Stephens - RS FR, Darrien Grant - RS FR

Reserves- Rashawn Yates - FR, Trey Laing - FR, Stacy Kirby, Jr. - FR (All likely to redshirt) 

Thoughts: The top five of Reaves, Brown, Black,  Livingstone, and Jackson are solid. Reaves emerged last year as a force and will need some help on the other side of the line to get pressure on the QB. It will be interesting to see if Marquis Price can work his way into the rotation. He played as a freshman and started as a sophomore at Duke before using his redshirt season in 2017 as a transfer after being dismissed from the program for "failing to meet expectations". I haven't heard his name mentioned that much, but he has two years of eligibility remaining. Jabreel Stephens was a 2017 signee that redshirted. He flipped from Louisville to USF late in the game and played H.S. ball at Armwood. I am hoping that he gets to see the field as I think he has the makings of a special player. Darrien Grant rounds out the players that could possibly see the field this season. 

Overall, I think we will be fine at the DE position. We have 7 or 8 guys who can go out there and play at a high level, so I am not too concerned. Also, looking to the future, We lose 3 of our top 8, but will return 5 guys with experience for 2019, as well as the 3 freshman from this season. 

DEFENSIVE TACKLE (9)

Starters: Kevin Bronson - SR, Kelvin Kegler - SO

Second String - Kelvin Pinkney, Jr. - SO, Brandon Boyce - JR

In the Mix - Blake Green - SO, Devin Leacock - FR, John Waller - FR

Reserves - Armon Williams - FR, Tyrone Barber - FR

Thoughts: The departures of Bruce Hector and Deadrin Senat would normally be impossible to fill, but the coaching staff did a great job getting the Kelvins (Kegler and Pinkney, Jr.) significant playing time. Kevin Bronson adds the most experience. I imagine that Duke transfer Brandon Boyce will be on the 2-deep as well. He started as a freshman at Duke before finding himself in Cutcliffe's doghouse before ultimately transferring and using his RS in 2017 like Marquies Price. I haven't heard much about him aside from the fact that he recorded a sack in the latest scrimmage, but the Bulls brought in Blake Green, a junior transfer from Northwest Missouri State who is eligible to play this season. This is not a terribly deep position for the Bulls. Because of Hector and Senat's durability, we were able to get away with a 5 man rotation in 2017. I suspect we will try to do the same this year, although John Waller and Devin Leacock are physically ready to play and may find themselves playing as true freshman. 

Overall, I think we will be stout in the middle again. We know what we are getting with Kevin and the Kelvins. Assuming Boyce doesn't have a lot of rust and either Green, Leacock, and Waller are able to contribute, this should continue to be a position of strength for the Bulls. Looking into the future, we will be well positioned for 2019 and beyond. 

I think one of the "Kelvins" changed his name to "Kevin". Not sure when it happened, but I noticed that I'm seeing one of them be referred to as Kevin now. Maybe they got tired of being mixed up with each other (Which i always do). I had no idea we had a JUCO transfer and cool. My favorite Freshman this year is Leacock. He not only is strong, but fast. Senat and Hector are great players, but the DTs we have now are faster. Even John Waller has a surprisingly pretty quick step from what the footage  I've seen. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

The great think about the new RS rule is that we can rotate these guys for GaTech . . .

It is a total of four games correct? Not the first four?

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805
  • Days Won:  0

Livingstone is the starter opposite Reavis. I think he was rehabbing in the spring

11 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Livingstone is the starter opposite Reavis. I think he was rehabbing in the spring

I didn't find anything definitely saying that was the case, so I left it as it was following the Spring Game. However, it sounds like Jackson is having a great summer as well, so Black may find himself as a rotational substitute. Having good depth is important with the high-tempo offenses we face. Will also need them to be disciplined when we play GT. 

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

14 hours ago, E.T. said:

The great think about the new RS rule is that we can rotate these guys for GaTech . . .

It is a total of four games correct? Not the first four?

Go BULLS !!!

Total of four games.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BullFan98 said:

Total of four games.

Unless it is a position of need, I am guessing most guys would be available for 3 regular season games and then see playing time in a bowl game. 

Freshmen Rashawn Yates (DE) and  Tyrone Barber (DT) both earned direct praise from CCS following the third scrimmage so add their names to the list of players that may be in the mix this year. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

CCS said today the Dline is the strongest position on the team based on the depth.  Quite a statement considering we lost 2 NFL caliber Dlineman.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,353
  • Days Won:  5

Read on another site that Waller came into camp out of shape and won’t see the field until he is and Leacock is with third team and scout team.

Edited by jchem1995