• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our Shirt 2018

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

21 hours ago, TheUpperHand said:

From my experience, it's not a lack of ability -- they could have made it better, they chose not to. This is the best that the athletics department would approve. I volunteered with shirt design when I was in the student bulls club and anything slightly edgy was nixed. Members made suggestions like "I Bleed Green and Gold," "Bullies: We'll Beat You on The Field ... and Then Take Your Lunch Money," or "Green and Gold 'til I Die" over a bull skull. They weren't approved because "we're looking for something more vanilla."

It breeds a culture of apathy so instead we get Rocky Buffett Wastin' Away in Non-Alcoholic Beverage-ville.

I have both of these shirts.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

8 hours ago, Catsdontpaytaxes said:

Can we go back to 'if you can't see, stand up'?

Please?

+1

And add, "If you can't hear, yell louder!"

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  181
  • Days Won:  0

Since the Capitals don't need the slogan anymore, we should adopt "It's the Bull's Year!" Once they finally embraced that it was always "their year" as a joke, they finally won. Maybe that's USF needs to do to win the AAC in Football.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Let me dispel some inaccurate information. 

For those that don't know, I work in the business office that supports SG and I am on the Our Shirt committee. 

First, for those who don't know, Our Shirts are meant to be for the student body at USF. They are sold in the bookstore for $5, anyone can buy them, but they are not out on the display floor, you have to know to ask for one. The idea is very simple, offer a school spirited shirt at a low price to encourage students to wear USF gear at games and around campus. 

SG has a great partnership with Athletics and the Bookstore (bookstore is changing this month, so we look forward to the new partnership with the new bookstore). 

The shirts artwork come from a design contest. While we ideally want students to enter submissions, we have accepted them from all parts of the USF community to encourage more participation. The committee picks 2 or 3 finalists from the submissions (that committee is lead by a student and mostly students are on it). Then those finalists get placed the ballot for all students to vote (it is part of the ballot where the SG President and Senators are selected). The students at USF design the shirts, and choose the winner. 

Athletics does not place any unreasonable restrictions on the shirts. I know the University wants the shirts to be a green shirt for purposes of how it shows on TV at the football games. Athletics makes sure the shirts don't play on an out of date slogan or hashtag (for example, the Athletics rep would have vetoed a shirt this year calling it a Holtz New Era, since that slogan is now out of date). 

At the end of the day, what matters is how students react to the shirts. 

This whole process is a win for everyone involved. SG furthers their mission to support students. the Bookstore gets walk in traffic and Athletics gets students wearing green USF shirts to the games. The shirts financially support themselves, and leftovers are given to new students the following year for completing a scavenger hunt at orientation. 

For what it is worth, I like this year's design, I also liked last year's. Two years ago was the one I struggled with. 

If anyone has any questions about the process, I am glad to assist. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, gibbsak said:

Never liked "Our Shirts."

Don't feel like they help with that "brand issue" we have.

Yeah, they've always been lame.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,638
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

Athletics makes sure the shirts don't play on an out of date slogan or hashtag (for example, the Athletics rep would have vetoed a shirt this year calling it a Holtz New Era, since that slogan is now out of date). 

Dear Lord I hope that's not the only reason they would have vetoed that slogan!  I kid - I know you were only giving an example.

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

I know the University wants the shirts to be a green shirt for purposes of how it shows on TV at the football games.

So the pictured shirt is green?  I need to check my monitor settings - it looks black to me.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, Boomer said:

Dear Lord I hope that's not the only reason they would have vetoed that slogan!  I kid - I know you were only giving an example.

So the pictured shirt is green?  I need to check my monitor settings - it looks black to me.

Yes, the shirt is the same green blank that has been used for a few years in a row. There was at least one non green shirt, but with a white shirt, it really doesn't show "USF Spirit" at RJS both in person and crowd shots for tv. 

As for the slogan, I could have mentioned a more recent example #BullsUnite ... but #HoltzNewEra was more fun to type. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

My photography skills are severely lacking. 

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I think its a great $5 shirt, most who crap on it haven't stepped foot in the bookstore since it was a shed

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I wouldn't crap on it (fine for a student shirt), but I do think maybe the winning entry should go through the "bay made" media/graphics artists before it hits the street. Even if that would add another 3-5 bucks to the product, I think the masses would be more likely to buy & wear them to games.

The pocket thing is an odd convention...